The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What kind of truck do I need to safely pull a 2H bumper pull?

I'm in the process of buying my first truck/trailer, and this is all so confusing! Some people say I'd be fine with a V8 F150 or Dodge Ram 1500, while others say I really need an F250 or Ram 2500. I'm not looking to break the bank here, so I'm going to buy a low mileage, used truck, but a new trailer (haven't decided which one yet).

At any rate, any suggestions for what I should be using to pull a typical, 2H bumper pull with a dressing room? I know that different trailers weigh different amounts, but I just generally want to know whether I should even be looking at the 1500 series.

Thanks!

Any properly equipped 4x4 1/2 ton truck with a v8 engine will be fine towing a 2 horse BP trailer. Do your research after you narrow down the truck you want and make sure it has the towing capacity and make sure you won't be maxed out once you add up cargo (passengers in vehicle, your gear, your horses weight) plus trailer weight.

Many go the route of overkill and most likely this will turn into another "My truck is better than yours" thread, LOL. I tow a 2 horse steel BP without dressing room with 2 horses (1 draft, 1 stock type horse) with my 2008 Tundra with ZERO issues. You don't even know the trailer is there and I drive in New England with twisty roads, hills, highway, etc.

You'll be fine with a V8 1500 series, but do be careful when towing and aware of your limitations on hills and when stopping (as you would with any truck, but you have less power than you'd have with a 2500 series).

Glad to see you are not looking to tow with an SUV - when I saw the thread I thought it would be another of those lol!

I tow with a 2010 Dodge 1500 series v8 and have a Sundowner 777 with dressing room. I tow my 17.2h overweight Irish Draught (he probably weighs 1600lbs), and usually a Thoroughbred or sometimes my friend's draft-cross. It does a very good job, but I have to say I loved towing with our previous 2500 Dodge. What I use now id fine though, and the truck pulls like a dream.

Get a good Reese-type hitch and the brake box installed and you should be good to go.

You'll get a lot of advice from people who say "Oh I tow with my Ford Focus (Prius, Tacoma, whatever inappropriate vehicle) all the time and I do just fine!"

Don't listen to them. They're just fine until they aren't. Just ask the COTHer that towed with a Ford Explorer and killed both of their horses.

Talk to professionals. Tell them what you want to tow. See what they say. And remember the live weight is WAY different than dead weight.

I, personally, would never in a million years tow a regular horse trailer with a 1/2 ton anything. But that's just me.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

I tow just find with my 4x4 V8 F150 (2008). We did a lot of research on the comparable trucks and for the price and tow rating, it was the bet for us (we also looked at GM/Chevy but would not go near a Dodge).

Quote Originally Posted by SaturdayNightLive View Post

I, personally, would never in a million years tow a regular horse trailer with a 1/2 ton anything. But that's just me.
    See what I mean? So since my truck is equipped with heavy duty brakes, transmission cooler, brake box, class 4 hitch, has 381 HP and can tow 10,300 pounds, it's inappropriate to tow a 2 horse trailer? Shall I buy a tank instead

I have a 2004 F-150 that I think has a rated towing compacity of about 7500. I tow a small steel 2 horse slant that weighs about 2100 empty. I pull fone or two 100 pound horses in it so I end up towing around 4300 at most. No where near maxing the truck out. I have never had any probelms with my tuck going or stopping. Yes I can feel the trailer behind me more than when I have used a F-250 but All my equipment is safe- trailer brakes, under towing weight, inspected.
    Pro Slaughter
    Anti Parelli

Don't listen to the "I would NEVER tow a horse with a half-ton!" crowd.

I'm not made of money, so my tow vehicle also has to be my daily driver. My F150 has done me just fine for 4 years of hauling a steel 2h BP with dressing room, oftentimes 2-3 times a week. I have never felt undertrucked, even in inclement weather or on steep downhill stops.

We have both an F250 4x4 7.3L diesel and a Dodge 1500 with 5.4 Hemi engine 4x4 and the difference is night and day. And the 1500 really sucks the gas when towing vs the F250 that only drops about 4 mpg more.
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!

We haul my Brenderup with two horses that weigh around 1000 and 1150 lbs with hubby's 07 Tundra. No problems but no problems hauling one horse with my Rav either. I wouldn't haul any other trailer with my Rav but we have hauled my cousin's 16' stock trailer with hubby's tundra with no problems at all. We hauled it 5 hours away and the Tundra did just fine.

Never haul over capacity and drive safely. I have seen people hauling horse trailers that were hauling a$$ like crazy people. When I am hauling either in my Rav or the Tundra I drive like an old lady going to church...I am safer that way and so are my boys in the back!!

It totally depends on where you live.

I had an F150 for my steel 2 horse BP, and it pulled it (and stopped it) just fine, until the engine blew 2 cylinders trying to get up the foothills of CO. High altitude + mountains = disaster.

That being said, a good friend pulls her 2 horse steel BP around northern CO just fine with a Toyota Tundra and has for years.

Anyway, after my experience (and given that I still lived in CO at the time, and was hauling up to Estes), I bought a used Dodge diesel. It's nice because my truck is not much different not pulling vs. pulling.

Now that I'm in the Midwest, I would have 1/2 tons on my list of potentials. I do sometimes feel a little silly rolling up in my 3/4 diesel truck, pulling a 2 horse BP.

I was never so happy to have an f250 when my steel trailer became detached from the ball of the truck on the highway (new used trailer and the coupler was faulty). The coupler was pushing into the bumper of the truck and I was able to get the whole rig stopped with my truck alone. I will never ever tow with anything less than a 3/4 ton.
    There are plenty of people who speed or drive drunk and never get hurt too. Doesn't make it a good idea or safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Halt At X View Post
    See what I mean? So since my truck is equipped with heavy duty brakes, transmission cooler, brake box, class 4 hitch, has 381 HP and can tow 10,300 pounds, it's inappropriate to tow a 2 horse trailer? Shall I buy a tank instead
    Reading comprehension FAIL.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

Quote Originally Posted by SaturdayNightLive View Post
    Reading comprehension FAIL.
    Um, no. Whatever. You OBVIOUSLY know more than I do so carry on. Saying you wouldn't tow with a 1/2 ton truck is basically saying that you think they are unsafe and I merely pointed out that my puny little 1/2 ton is quite capable. Maybe you are the one with the reading comprehension fail?

Um, no. Whatever. You OBVIOUSLY know more than I do so carry on. Saying you wouldn't tow with a 1/2 ton truck is basically saying that you think they are unsafe and I merely pointed out that my puny little 1/2 ton is quite capable. Maybe you are the one with the reading comprehension fail?
    You're awfully defensive about your Tundra.

In any case, I took the time to point out that many feel it's okay to pull with an inappropriate vehicle (aka Prius, Focus, Tacoma, Dakota, or the infamous Explorer), and told the OP that perhaps she would be better off discussing the issue with a professional of some sort, as the opinions here on COTH are a bit of a mixed bag.

I then said that I, personally, would not haul with a 1/2 ton. I didn't say in was a wildly inappropriate vehicle. I just said that I wouldn't tow with one. It isn't a dig at you or your Tundra. In fact, I wasn't even talking to you. The OP asked for opinions about 1/2 tons - I gave mine. You gave yours. Which brings us back to the mixed bag thing.

Just because I wouldn't tow my trailer with your truck doesn't mean that I think you're stupid or irresponsible. Why take it that way?
    -George Morris

Nope, just defending 1/2 ton trucks and saying that yes, there will always be people like you who think for whatever reason that a 3/4 or 1 ton is a far better tow vehicle.

1/2 tons are generally much better on gas mileage if OP was intending on it being an everyday vehicle.

Nope, just defending 1/2 ton trucks and saying that yes, there will always be people like you who think for whatever reason that a 3/4 or 1 ton is a far better tow vehicle.
    It isn't "for whatever reason", it's because I can add.

They can tow more, therefore they are better tow vehicles.

Your half ton may be adequate to pull your trailer, but the 3/4 ton is going to be MORE THAN adequate. Hence, better tow vehicle.

Really, though, I'm not sure why you're feeling the need to argue. Your truck is adequate for your towing needs. A 1/2 ton may be adequate for the OPs. Doesn't change the fact that 3/4 ton can pull more safely.
    -George Morris

I use a 2010 F150 to pull an older 2H bumper pull. There's a lot of varying opinions on how much truck you need...obviously the bigger the better, but I think in terms of not breaking the bank, a 1/2 ton truck is adequate for what you are looking to do. You should be fine to look at the 1500 series as long as you are paying attention to towing capacities and the weights of the trailers you are looking at.

Agree 100% that you have to look at the big picture. How far are you towing? What is the terrain? How big a trailer do you need?

I'm in the middle of buying a very basic 2H BP with a dressing room to tow with a Ram 1500 V8 Hemi. MORE than adequate for the local towing I want to do, and sufficient if I needed to go further in an emergency. Acceptable as a daily driver in my situation (I work from home a significant amount).

If I were regularly headed up country (I'm in BC), or making regular long treks, I would have opted for different set-up...
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Quote Originally Posted by morganpony86 View Post
    It totally depends on where you live.

I had an F150 for my steel 2 horse BP, and it pulled it (and stopped it) just fine, until the engine blew 2 cylinders trying to get up the foothills of CO. High altitude + mountains = disaster.

That being said, a good friend pulls her 2 horse steel BP around northern CO just fine with a Toyota Tundra and has for years.

Anyway, after my experience (and given that I still lived in CO at the time, and was hauling up to Estes), I bought a used Dodge diesel. It's nice because my truck is not much different not pulling vs. pulling.

Now that I'm in the Midwest, I would have 1/2 tons on my list of potentials. I do sometimes feel a little silly rolling up in my 3/4 diesel truck, pulling a 2 horse BP.
    This.

VA could be anything from Tidewater to the Blue Ridge. West of C'ville a 1/2 ton can be dicey.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.