The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun. 22, 2006
    Location
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    1,827

    Default Hunter Pace Turnout & Attire if on XC course, but hosted by Hunt Club?

    Our local hunt club hosts several Hunter Paces in our area, and usually they are held on a XC course (eventing facility)

    So protective vests & medical armband are required.

    My question is this - what do you feel is more appropriate turn-out for a Hunter Pace, hosted be a Hunt Club, but at an Eventing/XC venue? XC style or Foxhunting style?

    At these particular Hunter Paces, everything goes. So I know if I show up either way, it'll be fine. I'm just thinking that because it's a Hunt Club, that a more "foxhunting friendly" attire would be most appropriate?

    Versus FULL ON XC DECKED-OUT like you are at a 2 Star Horse Trial?

    So Foxhunting turnout to me would be a ratcatcher with the Tipperary vest over top. My traditional white shaped "hunter" pad, and my traditional velvet hunt cap (ASTM certified and with harness) No boots on the horse.

    Versus my XC/Eventing turnout would be: polo shirt with Tipp vest over top. My XC skull cap with Silk Cover in Hunter Green/Burgundy/White, and my matching XC saddle pad (square pad) Boots on the horse

    Again - I know it doesn't matter.....people attend these looking either way (XC/Eventer types, versus Foxhunters)....but what is MORE APPROPRIATE IN YOUR OPINION?

    I was leaning towards more of a traditional hunter-turnout, versus my XC get-up I use for Eventing.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct. 1, 2005
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Posts
    6,699

    Default

    Well, it seems to me if it is a hunter pace, it should be hunting attire.

    To put it another way, I've never participated in a hunter pace WITHOUT wearing hunter attire- even here in Utah where there is no hunt club but a local eventing center decided for fun to do a hunter pace one year.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun. 22, 2006
    Location
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    1,827

    Default

    That's what I'm leaning towards, but at these ones around here, you see mostly/many Eventers and they show up looking like they are about to run Prelim

    Yes, at the Hunter Paces, held at XC courses.....and hosted by our local Hunt Club, or sometimes by an Eventing Barn.

    Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to go with Hunting Attire for me, personally (and my pony) Might do a polo shirt, instead of ratcatcher (will wear protective vest over top) as ours are VERY casual and it will be hot hot hot

    Quote Originally Posted by Beverley View Post
    Well, it seems to me if it is a hunter pace, it should be hunting attire.

    To put it another way, I've never participated in a hunter pace WITHOUT wearing hunter attire- even here in Utah where there is no hunt club but a local eventing center decided for fun to do a hunter pace one year.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep. 24, 2010
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    1,129

    Default

    Most of our Hunter Paces are very casual attire and open to anyone, so long as they sign a waiver, wear a certified helmet and a riding boot with a heel. We usually get a few western trail riders showing up, as the jumps are all optional. If you want to jump, you can boot up, but it's the rider's decision. Protective vests are not mandatory, but encouraged if jumping.

    I have never seen anyone personally, dress in hunting attire for a hunter pace, even for the GVH sponsored paces. Depending on weather, a collared shirt, vest, clean breeches, helmet and tall boots for me. Bells, fronts and ankle boots for my horse as a general rule of thumb as we go over all the marked fences.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar. 8, 2006
    Location
    Geneseo, NY
    Posts
    272

    Default

    Back in the old days (I know, eye roll!) at least thru the '80's, we all dressed for
    a formal Hunt at GVH. I don't remember when the attire became casual----
    But we still run a *real* hunter pace in October! It runs thru the hunt country
    over the coops & rails in the fencelines. If you don't jump, you have to open &
    close numerous gates! We set the optimum time with 2 sets of timers and their
    time is averaged, so only one person knows the Ideal Time! It's a great fund-raiser for the Hounds!



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun. 22, 2006
    Location
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    1,827

    Default

    This is a little more like our Hunter Paces. Most folks dress like they are schooling or for XC/Eventing. And yes, even some western riders.

    So I know turnout doesn't MATTER I've done several of them, and I'm going this weekend and just wanted peoples' opinion of what is the most appropriate, since I have every kind of riding apparel and tack imagineable.

    I know the organizers, club and other riders couldn't give a hoot what you are wearing. They are more casual. I thought I'd just see what the "norm" is for Hunter Paces you all do

    My plan is to wear a polo shirt, protective vest, velvet helmet and traditional hunter tack on the horse.

    My breeches, if I'm going to be traditional, should be tan.....but I love love wearing my darker colored breeches for schooling and XC, so I may just wear them. More flattering

    Any other folks here do Hunter Paces? Just curious about how "turnout" is in your area...

    Quote Originally Posted by Heliodoro View Post
    Most of our Hunter Paces are very casual attire and open to anyone, so long as they sign a waiver, wear a certified helmet and a riding boot with a heel. We usually get a few western trail riders showing up, as the jumps are all optional. If you want to jump, you can boot up, but it's the rider's decision. Protective vests are not mandatory, but encouraged if jumping.

    I have never seen anyone personally, dress in hunting attire for a hunter pace, even for the GVH sponsored paces. Depending on weather, a collared shirt, vest, clean breeches, helmet and tall boots for me. Bells, fronts and ankle boots for my horse as a general rule of thumb as we go over all the marked fences.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep. 24, 2009
    Posts
    1,318

    Default

    I do hunter paces - I wear tan breeches and a polo shirt, and if it's hot I wear my black paddock boots and half chaps rather than tall boots. I always boot up my horse going cross country, and I use a white square saddle pad. I try to keep my colors conservative because I ride a leopard/roany appy.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    May. 14, 2004
    Location
    Fingerlakes area NY
    Posts
    262

    Default

    we do lots of paces (central NY) out here and the attire goes from jeans and cowboy boots for the western riders, gaited riders wear a mixture of clothing and I have seen less tall boots the last couple of years for the "traditional" english riders. Lots of paddock boots and half chaps - polo shirts, t-shirt and even a tank top here and there. English, Western and Endurance tack - and every bright color saddle pad you could imagine. Lots of matched people and horses - a friend of mine always has polos that match her saddle pad, her shirt and even her gloves.
    Riding in NJ 25 years ago we wore full hunt attire to the hunter paces - times have changed!



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun. 22, 2006
    Location
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    1,827

    Default

    Okay, great. Thanks for the extra feedback. 3Mares, yes, our local Hunter Paces are quite a mixed lot

    So I think times have changed and there may not be a "norm" for these types of "open to John Q public" Hunter Paces?

    I'll stick to what I normally wear. I'm going to use my shaped sheepskin pad, versus my square/AP pad though. More "hunt-ish" or huntery

    My sister and I ride together and our mares are best friends so we LOVE to do the Pairs Classes. Going to do Hilltopper, Intro Pace and Challenge Pace (riders switch horses halfway through the course!)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**



  10. #10
    Join Date
    May. 15, 2002
    Posts
    2,410

    Default

    My safety vest is black and yellow, so for me there is no "hunter attire-slash-demure" option

    That said, for HPs I usually don't bust out the matching yellow-bound saddle pad, yellow taped boots, yellow/black quartered silk, yellow tee, yellow whip, black/yellow gloves... oh, you get the (garish) idea

    I think your plan sounds great. As long as you are wearing a safety vest, and not trying to fry yourself by putting it over a hunt coat!

    (See you Saturday!)
    ............................................
    http://www.xanthoria.com/OTTB
    ............................................



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun. 22, 2006
    Location
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    1,827

    Default

    I figured you'd pipe in

    So you are going??? How fun!!! We are so looking forward to it! Our mares haven't been schooling at 2'7", so if there are any maxed-out fences, we may go around (yes - DQ)....we'll play it by ear. It's more for schooling/fun for us.

    See you then!

    Quote Originally Posted by Xanthoria View Post
    My safety vest is black and yellow, so for me there is no "hunter attire-slash-demure" option

    That said, for HPs I usually don't bust out the matching yellow-bound saddle pad, yellow taped boots, yellow/black quartered silk, yellow tee, yellow whip, black/yellow gloves... oh, you get the (garish) idea

    I think your plan sounds great. As long as you are wearing a safety vest, and not trying to fry yourself by putting it over a hunt coat!

    (See you Saturday!)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**



  12. #12
    Join Date
    May. 15, 2002
    Posts
    2,410

    Default

    Yes I'm going! I'm doing the single rider at 400mpm and the fastest hilltopper. Weee!
    ............................................
    http://www.xanthoria.com/OTTB
    ............................................



  13. #13
    Join Date
    May. 25, 2003
    Location
    Orlean, Virginia
    Posts
    3,031

    Thumbs down Good grief!

    Wateryglen scratches her head....hmmm..never heard of a hunt requiring safety vests & a medical arm band....are you sure it's not the FACILITY that's requiring that? Good grief....
    Oh I'd wear my new rainbow colored tie died T shirt with my red pants if I was going....I'm such a trend setter! And with all my medical things...I'd need 2 armbands that go to my elbows on both arms....grrrrrr!!! Armbands=sharmbands!!!



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun. 22, 2006
    Location
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    1,827

    Default

    Our Hunter Paces are normally held on XC/Eventing venues/facilities and it's required to school XC to wear a safety/protective vest and medical armbands.

    So - I guess you are right that it's the facility that requires it, to ride on the XC course.

    But that is how it is for most of our HPs around here

    Quote Originally Posted by wateryglen View Post
    Wateryglen scratches her head....hmmm..never heard of a hunt requiring safety vests & a medical arm band....are you sure it's not the FACILITY that's requiring that? Good grief....
    Oh I'd wear my new rainbow colored tie died T shirt with my red pants if I was going....I'm such a trend setter! And with all my medical things...I'd need 2 armbands that go to my elbows on both arms....grrrrrr!!! Armbands=sharmbands!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**



  15. #15
    Join Date
    May. 25, 2003
    Location
    Orlean, Virginia
    Posts
    3,031

    Talking and I meant.....

    And god bless them for allowing the HP's there too. I totally get how precious open land is to have them. We are spoiled in some parts of the country. I didn't want to sound snide about that. We gotta make the best of what we have!



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun. 7, 2002
    Posts
    4,350

    Default

    It's probably the facility that requires XC attire for insurance purposes.

    Around here (New England) the hunter paces are also held on varied terrain that includes parts of xc courses, and we do jump those fences, but no vest/armband are required. I would hate it if they started to require that, since I hate wearing a vest!
    It is very rare that our local Hunter Paces require formal Hunt attire. Pretty much anything goes, as long as you have a helmet and boots with heels.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun. 22, 2006
    Location
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    1,827

    Default

    Yep, I think you are in "Hunt Country", compared to us (San Francisco Bay Area)

    Our Hunt Club does have access to some amazing land, through private ranch owners, so the actual foxhunts are incredible.

    But these fun "open to public" Hunter Paces are always held on/at a XC course, thus - the protective vest and medical arm band

    Heading out now for the Hunter Pace! Whoo hoo!


    Quote Originally Posted by wateryglen View Post
    And god bless them for allowing the HP's there too. I totally get how precious open land is to have them. We are spoiled in some parts of the country. I didn't want to sound snide about that. We gotta make the best of what we have!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun. 28, 2003
    Posts
    4,539

    Default

    I know it sounds odd, but as an organizer of carriage drives and HP type things, we encourage non-garish nice, neat and tidy turnout.

    The landowners are going to be seeing you cross their place and we encourage you to look like someone they'd want to have back another time.



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun. 22, 2006
    Location
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    1,827

    Default

    I agree. I think it's respectful to be turned out neat and tidy and more traditional

    We had a blast today. Had lots of XC Eventers there, and had some folks (only a couple/few) that looked like they were about to go for a Hunt.

    but everyone looked great, rode great and had fun, including my sister and I (and Xanthoria - also on COTH

    Quote Originally Posted by Drive NJ View Post
    I know it sounds odd, but as an organizer of carriage drives and HP type things, we encourage non-garish nice, neat and tidy turnout.

    The landowners are going to be seeing you cross their place and we encourage you to look like someone they'd want to have back another time.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun. 7, 2009
    Posts
    294

    Default

    Glad you had fun! Our first hunter pace of the season is this weekend! YAY!!!! Our farm hunter paces a bunch of times each year, some of which are put on by our local hunt, some put on by other organizations. I require conservative apparel and turnout for all of our riders and horses, polished tall boots, some shade of tan breeches, black polo shirt, showable/huntable helmet, neat and tidy hair, ponies show cleaned, tack cleaned, and our black 1/2 pads with our farm logoed baby pads underneath. (Black has made a fantastic main farm color... it goes with everything and looks great paired with black tall boots and helmets!) Like RideNJ said and I tell our riders who are attending with us... the very generous landowners will be watching, help make them want to invite the hunt back to do it again. Without those landowners, the hunter paces wouldn't even happen. Show you appreciate it in the few minutes they will be able to see you, just like you would a judge or clinician, by showing up looking like it means enough to you that are taking it seriously enough to prepare yourself and your horse.



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: Aug. 17, 2012, 01:30 PM
  2. Norfolk Hunt Club Hunter Pace
    By ElbowRockFarm in forum Hunting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Jun. 6, 2011, 09:52 PM
  3. Rappahannock Hunt Hunter Pace
    By Elghund2 in forum Hunting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Apr. 6, 2011, 09:56 PM
  4. Rappahannock Hunt Hunter Pace
    By Elghund2 in forum Hunting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Apr. 11, 2010, 07:58 PM
  5. Old Chatham Hunt Hunter Pace
    By ctab in forum Hunting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Sep. 21, 2009, 11:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •