The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default COTH wisdom needed

I am not new to horses, but this is something I have never seen before. I have a new horse I am trying to introduce to my herd, who is the biggest chicken I have ever seen. I have had him at my place for awhile now and have had him seperated for a few days and then tried introducing him individually to the herd of 5 in controlled circumstances in the barn yard. He did not scream or kick out or anything when meeting them. Seemed to be a non-issue as he posses no threat, they seem to tolerate him, if not accept him.

I have turned him out on to 30 acres of pasture with the herd in thoughts that he has plenty of room to get away if they start to pressure him. This has worked for the last few days. He stays a field away from them, but near enough that he feels he has company.

This morning he was in the barn yard with the herd...although a bit removed and I thought things were going quite well. I just had a call from my husband saying that the new horse was a mile away on the neighbours lawn. The herd must have pressued him either through or over a fence...beleive me it wouldn't take much pressure as he is so afraid of them. He is a grandson of Voltaire and has a prodigous jump.

Right now he is in the barn yard with the gates closed, but my only sorce of water for all the horses is in this yard. I do have a side paddock I can put him in with a trough I can fill. He was in this paddock intially. There is no grazing in that paddock and I would like him to be out on the pasture. He is not even interested in meeting the others at the fenceline in this paddock.

Does anyone have any ideas to help me integrate this horse?

2 members found this post helpful.

I think you need to find him a buddy. Find him the gentlest, non-scariest horse in your group, and put said horse in the small paddock with him for a couple of weeks. If he has one solid buddy in the herd, then they can pair off together and he'll feel more comfortable.

Give them a couple of weeks to bond, though, and really become buds. Just meeting someone over the fence for five minutes to make sure they aren't going to take offense and kill each other isn't enough.

6 members found this post helpful.

i'd suggest turning him out with them one by one at a time... let him get to know each horse individually before putting them all out as a group.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

1 members found this post helpful.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

The last place I boarded had an interesting reverse on GFAG's suggestion.
    They had a group of about 15 geldings regularly turned out together in an 8ac pasture.
    Mares were in the minority there and went out in smaller groups to smaller fields.

New horses were introduced to the group by putting them out with the dominant horse first.
    Then others were introduced in descending order of their herd standing until the least aggressive horse was last in the process.

The theory was that once the Boss Hoss accepted the newbie the others would fall in line.
    Seemed to work {shrugs}
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post

New horses were introduced to the group by putting them out with the dominant horse first.
    Then others were introduced in descending order of their herd standing until the least aggressive horse was last in the process.

The theory was that once the Boss Hoss accepted the newbie the others would fall in line.
    Seemed to work {shrugs}
    This method worked for us when we introduced DD's QH to the herd. The boss (my SB) and the QH were introduced and they seemed to get along without drama. He was then introduced to the rest of the herd without issue.

My husband put him back with the herd after I talked to him on the phone...he was afraid he would try to jump out of the barn yard. This time he followed the horse with the ATV. The gelding went to the pasture, where one of the herd came over to him at a trot. The trotting horse got abought 50 feet away and the gelding truned tail, trotted back down to the barn, jumped the rail fence and was out on the road again. I swear this beast will drive me to drink!

Luckily some county road crew guys were on the road and grabbed the gelding. This is a busy road.

Right now the gelding is sitting in a stall with the dominant gelding of the herd in the stall on one side of him. I will have to develop a game plan when I get home from work. This jumping out is not making me very happy.

Thanks for the advice guys. The big gelding spent the night in a secure yard with the most dominant horse in the herd. They will be spending the day in stalls next to each other and having more quality turn out time together. My husband is busy putting hot rope up 3 feet out infront of the favoured jumping spot, and entire fence line. I bought this horse for dressage, but he seems to be telling me he would like to jump!

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by paulosey View Post
    ... My husband is busy putting hot rope up 3 feet ... entire fence line. ...

But are you sure it wasn't bugs that caused him to jump initially?

After the learn a neat trick like that they usually decide it's a fun new game.
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

The bugs are bad for sure, so I am not ruling them out as a factor. Whatever the reason, he's going to have to suck it up and stay on my property!

I had a bottom-of-pecking-order new horse and brought him home and put him out on 5 acres with the others- two old retired qh's and one OTTB. Several days later when arriving to feed, I perceived footprints outside the post and rail fence by the road and puzzled things through. The others (whether the whole gang or just the alpha OTTB, or maybe the "Real" alpha retired mare) had cornered him and he jumped out to get away. But didn't go anywhere- he looped down the fence line and jumped right back in. That was the only apparent integration trouble.

Ironically, this fellow and the OTTB never much liked/hung out with each other until the two old timers went to horsie heaven, and then they had no choice but to become buds, sort of. Some years later- mousey qh decided to assert himself and to his astonishment, the then very old OTTB yielded alpha status. But the qh seemed to have doubts about that and didn't follow through on it.

Old cowboy method - not for the faint of heart - but it never fails. Put new horsie and Alpha horse in tall fenced paddock. Then YOU chase them vigorously with scary things, trash can lids clanging, plastic bag on stick, etc. You have to really get them snorting and running away. No injuries, but the two are a HERD - running from a predator. They will bunch up in the corner, snort at you/ scary thing. They dont even think of fighting, they need the comfort of the herd. Every time they relax, make em run again. After 30 mins you can put them out in the bigger herd. Alpha will now protect his new buddy. Sounds nutso, but really works. New horsie will run to the Alpha for protection who will of course tell anyone else to get away from him (not new guy tho). New guy will have to find his place with the rest, but there is some status conferred with Alpha and battles are very minimal.

4 members found this post helpful.

Interesting idea??...scare the crap out of them so they team up against you??? I dunno...then how do you get them to trust you? I would think they would be wary of you. Maybe have " cowboy" do that so you do not screw up that fragile trust. I always like to get a horse to feel they can ALWAYS trust me. Of course there is also the risk of injury with chasing 2 horses scared of you and one scared of the other.

I am curious how the OP resolved this 2011 issue.

2 members found this post helpful.

I've known a lot of old cowboys, and they've never used that method. They have just turned 'em out and let the horses sort it out. Really, if there's room to maneuver, injuries aren't any bigger concern than for a horse in a padded stall (which is to say they are suicide machines anyway, but that's another topic).

Why don't you use your hot rope / tape to section of part of the paddock for him, and maybe a mate. Depending on your trough type, you maybe able to run the tape across it to split it in half.

Quote Originally Posted by allons-y View Post
    Old cowboy method - not for the faint of heart - but it never fails. Put new horsie and Alpha horse in tall fenced paddock. Then YOU chase them vigorously with scary things, trash can lids clanging, plastic bag on stick, etc. You have to really get them snorting and running away. No injuries, but the two are a HERD - running from a predator. They will bunch up in the corner, snort at you/ scary thing. They dont even think of fighting, they need the comfort of the herd. Every time they relax, make em run again. After 30 mins you can put them out in the bigger herd. Alpha will now protect his new buddy. Sounds nutso, but really works. New horsie will run to the Alpha for protection who will of course tell anyone else to get away from him (not new guy tho). New guy will have to find his place with the rest, but there is some status conferred with Alpha and battles are very minimal.
    You're kidding, aren't you??

I think that what you have recommended is a very (very) BAD idea.

ETA; just noticed that this "advice" was given in response to a 3 YEAR OLD thread.

Really??

Quote Originally Posted by skydy View Post
    You're kidding, aren't you??

I think that what you have recommended is a very (very) BAD idea.

ETA; just noticed that this "advice" was given in response to a 3 YEAR OLD thread.

Really??
    I think sometimes people respond to old threads when the search function turns stuff up at the bottom of the page.