The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Looking for inexpensive place to store semen in the South

Continuing my last thread about semen storage costs.......I'd like to know anyone who has an INEXPENSIVE place to store semen safely.......that has the ability to ship it to clients (they can make the shipping fees and container rentals) in the South.
    I have been happy with the quality of my current storage place, and must be sure the new place is reputable as one of the stallions has been cut and I sure don't want something to happen to the semen! However, from my other thread, I realized how much more I am paying for storage than others ($800 a year!!)....I only have about 55 doses!!)
    www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428

Call the folks at www.bovine-elite.com They are wonderful. I think I pay $35 per quarter for LOTS of semen storage. They package and ship out for me in their own tanks - and don't charge a rental fee for them.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Interesting.....I'/ve never been exposed to the cattle breeding/frozen industry.
    Wonder if it would freak out a mare owner if it were coming from a cattle place......haha. The price sure is better for sure!!!
    www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428

Patti if you are going to look at cattle storage facilities, call around locally - we have lots of bovine operations around here. No idea if any will store for any of us, I do know that one that is here in Marianna did store a couple of doses for me one year whle I was in the process of breeding (so for a month or so) and they didn't charge me at all..... you'll have to google them it is something like Southern STates Cattle Co and they are in Jackson County (not sure if they are considered Cottondale or Cambleton FL, but are near Marianna).
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

To be honest, I'm sort of afraid to store at a cattle operation.. I ship the semen comercially, it's not just for me personally, and I'm afraid some uneducated mare owners may not be comfortable with it. What is your experience Sonesta?
    I try to keep the highest of standards and reputation, and although I'm sure these operations would do a fantastic service...I wonder how the "public" would take it...?????
    Peterson and Smith/Select Breeders are known as some of the best in the Equine Business....they collect the boys to freeze, store and ship it. I'm happy with them, but hate the $800+ a year going out... I was originally just checking to see if their prices were too high.....and if there were a better deal out there with reputable equine folks...

I have frozen semen(bovine) and a few frozen embryos(bovine) at Ulimate Genetics. I have friends that have equine semen at Ultimate Genetics.

As long as the semen storage is reputable -whether it be a bovine or equine- the frozen straws are always frozens and service is good than why not use them?
    It is your reputation not your owners. And your owners need to only be concerned with the end product of a healthy live foal.

When we first started using frozen semen, it was shipped from Celle to Bovine Elite, and when we asked to have it shipped here the secretary was very cute, saying, "It is so nice that the straws have names on them, not just numbers!" Anyway, they were great to deal with.
    Anne
    -------
    "Where knowledge ends violence begins." B. Ljundquist

I have had semen shipped to me by Bovine Elite. It was being distributed by a semen agent who is no longer in the business. Their service was excellent. I see no reason that a horse owner would be concerned with using their service or receiving shipments from them. When I first bought my own tank, a local fellow who breeds cattle helped me find a tank and also gave me advice on who I could get to keep it topped off. That was another cattle fellow. He gives great service and good prices. As does Bovine Elite.

http://www.emcocala.com-
    Equine Medical Center of Ocala stores frozen semen for $1 pr dose pr. Month and that seems to be the going rate around here. I recently paid $300 to store 6 doses for a year with out "shopping around" and when finally did ask around and realized the difference in cost I was shocked (and a bit upset). There must be better options for you close to home...
    ~~~The first step is admitting you have a problem.~~~
    ~~My name is Wendy, and I'm a horse-a-holic.~~

Seems like adding "equine" to the name of a service makes it cost more My husband and I run an AI business (for cattle) in Nebraska and we have over 40 semen tanks at our ranch and store all our clients tanks and semen free. Comes with the service basically We do around 10,000 head each spring.

When we get one of our bulls collected, we use the bull stud an hour from here and they'll do all the shipping out and storage. I don't think it hardly costs anything to store (shipping is pricey!)... the bill I have in front of me just has nitrogen charges for our route...we must not have stored anything recently.

I don't think you should avoid a cattle storage place just because it's not a 'horse' place..... like someone said above, if it's frozen, it's frozen. All the methods are the same for handling semen pretty well wherever you go. If you're paying $800 a year for 55 units..... my god haha. Thats only 5.5 canes and only takes up half of a can in a 6 can average sized tank! The tank costing roughly $700. It only makes good business sense to find something else.