The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Leptospirosis in Equines

I just found out my broodmare has this condition. Anyone ever dealt with it before. She is not yet in foal. Thanks.

Yes. It required heavy duty antibiotics which in turn required a lot of stomach protection (we fed the antibiotics in a fruit salad of fresh papaya, applesauce and aloe juice). At one point, he was getting 140 pills a day as we were treating the uveitis with steroids as well. Unfortunately, it was diagnosed late and my horse ended up losing his sight. He did well with the treatment otherwise and is quite healthy today.

My two experiences many, many years ago had extremely negative outcomes.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Yikes! My dog had leptosporisis 3 years ago, before they really started vaccinating for it. She had to go on some antibiotics and recovered fairly quickly. Now, I get them the vaccination for it regularly and no more bouts of lepto.

I didn't realize that horses could get it! Well probably so since it's in animal urine and they eat grass and are around pooling water areas that could have urine in them. I guess it would make sense too that it could be more serious for them because they can't vomit to rid their bodies of the bad stuff like dogs can. I wonder if they can vaccinate horses for it too now?

My broodmare had it. The only sign she showed was blindness. There were a couple other mares in that same pasture that went blind as well. Her daughter aborted at 273 days due to suspect lepto exposure. Thankfully she had no other effects from it.

Lepto crosses the species barrier. People can get it too, and it causes infertility.

That is the one vaccine that my vet will not let me not get for my dogs and horses (not that I would want to).

No experience with it, but I hear it's not good. Jingles***
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

I don't believe there is an equine vaccine. I think some people are using the canine version on their equines which is may or may not be effective.

The vaccine that can be used for horses is manufactured for cattle. From my vet, she strongly recommends against it unless the situation is dire (ie: young horses in an endemic area). Apparently, there are some nasty side effects and it's no guarantee.