The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hmmm what to do, what to do

I have the opportunity to buy a very nice Berney Bros monoflap xc/jump saddle for a pretty good price. I've tried it on my horse and did xc at Aspen in it and really liked it. Felt very secure and it fits my horse well too; in fact, better than the saddle I have now. However, I would have to sell my close contact that I use for flat and jumping in order to buy it. That would effectively leave me without a saddle for dressage, so I would either have to buy a dressage saddle or perhaps a less expensive cc saddle for flat work.

Does anyone use their monoflap for flat work as well? I wish I were in a position to have more than one saddle but money is tight and need to conserve. The seller is willing (I think) to take payments and that may be the way I have to go if I decide to buy.

What would you do in this situation? Buy the monoflap and then buy a less expensive dressage saddle or pass? Trainer is pushing me to buy it but I've put him off for now.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Just my two cents. My monoflap xc/jumping saddle made so much more difference in my riding than my dressage saddle ever did for my dressage. If the new saddle makes you feel safer and more secure jumping- two of the phases are jumping! Lengthen your stirrups and make do until you can afford a wonderful dressage saddle.
    5, 4, 3, 2, 1, GO - you're on course!

I rode a horse on the flat in one of these last week and, IMO, it was fine for basic dressage work.

Actually, this surprised me, as I cannot sit down at all in a Berney Dublin Jumper. The monoflap model was quite comfortable to sit in, and the flap isn't so forward that you don't lose your effectiveness.

(Full disclosure- I am terribly disgruntled with it and am trying to talk a friend into trading my monoflap for her carbon copy of my old Berney She's not as neurotic as I am about saddles!).

I can NOT sit the trot at all in my monoflap. That being said, I do plenty of flatwork in it, including lateral work and counter canter, etc....I just don't practice my sitting trot, unless I drop my stirrups and make my legs REALLY long (and it still isn't great). It isn't impossible, and I probably wouldn't hesitate to ride some green bean at BN and N all three phases in it, and I always say it is better to have a proper jumping saddle if you can only have one. If it is really great for your jumping position, buy it, and when you can, get yourself a dressage saddle. Berneys are great saddles and they last for ages- we always say your Berney will wear out long after you grow tired of it (except for my old one, apparently ).

Thanks for the suggestions and the links. I've been perusing ebay and found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

It looks like it might work but I'm a little gun shy about purchasing on ebay. She will take a return though. Opinions?

Thanks.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn trails View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions and the links. I've been perusing ebay and found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

It looks like it might work but I'm a little gun shy about purchasing on ebay. She will take a return though. Opinions?

Thanks.
    Looks like a good buy. Post that here at that price, and it might get sniped .