The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bretton Woods

Has anyone on here bred to him? I have a 2008 KWPN mare I would like to breed to him in the coming years. Just wondering if anyone else has taken a liking to this guy and if anyone had suggestions on type for him. I think next year will be his first year foal crop, and I am anxiously awaiting their arrival to see what he throws.

My mare is on the smaller side, about 15.3 hands at 3 years old. She is still young so could grow, so I'm hoping for more height out of him since he himself is about 17.2 hands (but i won't be sad if baby is same height as my mare). My mare has really lovely conformation. Her temperament is also superb. She is smart, willing, sensitive but not hot, trusting and affectionate. She's really the whole package and I just LOVE her. If I could clone her I probably would

If I were to improve anything i would say i'd like to improve her shoulder angle and her feet (she has hard, sturdy feet but low heels). Her trot is also a little flat and I'd like to add more knee action. Her walk and canter are both lovely.

Other than that I love everything about her...she has a beautiful neck with a smaller, delicate head. Her dam-sire is Zeus who was Selle F/Anglo-Arab. I can see my mare's arabian influence.

I would be shooting for a super nice dressage horse for myself with "wow" gaits.

She is KWPN Reg B (one of the reasons I am going with a KWPN approved stallion, but I would use Bretton Woods no matter what I am just smitten with him)
    Pedigree: http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/dominique79

Quick Video of her 90 days under saddle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOy-7EZ3-bM

Yes I bred a mare to him and am in the waiting phase to see if she took. There was another mare at the same barn also bred to him at the same time - so we are hoping for 2 little Bretton babies. I think there are some foals already on the ground by him - this year is the first. They looked adorable but what foal doesn't? Anyway I took a chance -so hopefully next year I can tell you more if I see 2 from different mares.
    It was a last minute change of plans for me as Contento was out of town that week! The mare has had (that I know of) a Sandro Hit filly (qualified for BuCha this year), 2 Sir Donnerhalls( 2 year old and yearling) and this year a foal by Contento - so I will be able to give you an idea of what Bretton Woods brings to the equation as I know what she produces. She is Fidermark Weltmeyer - a sturdy girl with a great hind,beautiful neck and shoulder and a feminine head and soft eye. The other girl is by Charming and has had two lovely Ampere foals.

Wow luck you!! I can't wait to see pictures and hear all about the foal when he or she arrives .

He is one I am keeping my eye on. Here is a video of his very first foal. A beautiful black filly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HscUN5_e09o
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts. ~Harold Nicolson

Quote Originally Posted by TaliaCristianna View Post
    He is one I am keeping my eye on. Here is a video of his very first foal. A beautiful black filly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HscUN5_e09o
    That filly has some legs on her...
    www.windhorsefrm.org and on Facebook too!
    Where mares rule and Basset Hounds drool!

I just read on another thread that his semen is not considered to be good and that there have only been two confirmed pregancies in US (one belongs to poster Siegi B).

I am a fan of Johnson and so in turn was fascinated by Bretton Woods. Plus BW has some good German bloodlines behind the Johnson (-:

Anyway, I was not lucky enough to get a pregnancy. I will watch for BW's foals to arrive. BW is most likely "too long legged a stallion" so may be suspect with some here..... but that does not bother me if I breed him to a shorter legged mare. What I will be watching is his longer hind leg. Long legs are fine, it they are in proportion. And I have Londonderry mare at home with this same issue...longer hind leg than front..... and it was fixed in one generation of breeding. Just something I would be aware of. The video of the BW filly posted shows this longer hind leg is transferable.

I have to agree, just from photos and video, he looks really long legged, so it would be important to use the right mare with him. The leggy look can rebound and be a not so good attribute.
    PennyG

I have a 45 day confirmed pregnancy using one dose of Bretton Woods frozen semen - bred post ovulation. Used him on a ster KWPN mare that is medium build, shorter legged, good topline with very nicely set neck a tad on the short side, a good hind leg, good gaits overall and a very nice walk.

From one conformation photo I saw of him, he appears to be much longer from hoof to center of knee than from center of knee to elbow. It should be the other way around. He also looks like he's on stilts.
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

If he has such glaring conformation flaws, why did the KWPN accept him? Aren't they really stringent? I do see what you guys are talking about....but I actually really like the long leggy look so it wouldn't bother me if the baby inherited that look

Bretton Woods had one of the highest overall scores of the approvals ever! There's not much wrong with this boy but of course there will always be somebody with other preferences.....
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

I think the conformation photo on the superiorequinesires website might be a bit distorted. It can be difficult to come to truly educated conclusions with regards to a horse's conformation based off of a single still confo photo. Photographs, especially photographs of horses, are often quite misleading.

Here is a video of BW. Taken I believe in 2010 when he was a four-year old. Yes, he is leggy - but he certainly doesn't look "freakish" by any means.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLSQS...eature=related

He is young. I am certain he will continue to fill out over the next year or two. I look forward to watching him mature.
    Last edited by TaliaCristianna; Jun. 24, 2011 at 11:00 AM.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts. ~Harold Nicolson

why did the KWPN accept him? Aren't they really stringent?
    I have always admired this registry for being so tough, but they knowingly accepted this stallion, in spite of the fact that he has OCD! That is disturbing. He is simply gorgeous to look at but I will wait until his offspring have proven whether they can make it to FEI before I would even consider using him.

Bretton Woods had one of the highest overall scores of the approvals ever!
    I may be wrong but I believe the approval score is based on MOVEMENT not conformation.

You're wrong, Trinity, approval scores are based on conformation, movement, behavior in and out of the stall, etc.

And show me another registry that requires and publishes x-rays before you complain about the KWPN approving a horse with PUBLISHED evidence of very small OCD.

Sorry, but that just hit me the wrong way.....
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

http://www.eurodressage.com/equestri...roval-commitee

A bit off topic, but timely. I do not breed KWPN horses but admire many of their stallions. I think the example above is the perfect way to handle stallions with OCD.