The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Introducing new things to foals

Some of you know that I love to introduce my foals to all kinds of silly things. I love to watch their reactions and I actually use what I see to help with their future training. When my son popped one of the rings in his inflatable pool, my husband threw it away. Then I had a bright idea... I don't think the water jumps will be a problem at all for our Ed Venture He is really living up to his name already
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYoyEEOJsuQ
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

How cute! What a good idea.

What a gorgeous baby!

Got to say though, that I prefer my upper level jumper prospects to NOT be too comfortable putting a foot in the water

How cute!! Foals are so curious about everything, aren't they?

The first few weeks my foals are in the "foal paddock" with their mums, which is a fairly boring, flat paddock with not much that is interesting. But when you've never seen anything before, I guess it is!

This year's filly chewed on the tree, rattled the chains on the gate, banged (repeatedly) on a empty metal feeder that was turned upside down, etc.

After a week or so she was bored to tears. So now they are both out in the big pasture with hills, bushes, downed logs, other horses (!) etc. So she's having fun again.

He is gorgeous, but you don't want your jumper prospect to put his feet into water. Luckily, as an eventer I am willing to take him off your hands
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

LOL. Yes Our yearling goes on trail walks and will cross rivers, ditches and creeks. I think she is going to make an awesome 3 day horse one day.
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

Kudos, again.

He is so gorgeous! Gotta love the mind I've been debating getting my 12 week old a little plastic baby pool, I'm wondering if that will stop her from playing in the water trough.

Here is how NOT to do it:

I sold a colt to my sister, and with all enthusiasm she introduced him to EVERYTHING she could get her hands on, including tarps. She would walk him over tarps, rub him with tarps, pick them up and shake them.... you get the idea.

She had him loose in the indoor and thought she would get creative, as he was no longer showing any interest in tarps whatsoever.

So she was about 15 feet away from him, and thought, "I know, I will wad up the tarp and throw it at him!"

The colt reared up in a panic and struck at the tarp as it was flying through the air and expanding out due to the air resistance. Then he took off bucking and raced at light speed around the arena before he would let her catch him and calm him down.

She told me this and my response was, "Just out of curiosity, what response were you expecting to get? I would think that the one time you really would like your horse to try to protect himself is if something is flying through the air towards his head."

LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
    Here is how NOT to do it:

I sold a colt to my sister, and with all enthusiasm she introduced him to EVERYTHING she could get her hands on, including tarps. She would walk him over tarps, rub him with tarps, pick them up and shake them.... you get the idea.

She had him loose in the indoor and thought she would get creative, as he was no longer showing any interest in tarps whatsoever.

So she was about 15 feet away from him, and thought, "I know, I will wad up the tarp and throw it at him!"

The colt reared up in a panic and struck at the tarp as it was flying through the air and expanding out due to the air resistance. Then he took off bucking and raced at light speed around the arena before he would let her catch him and calm him down.

She told me this and my response was, "Just out of curiosity, what response were you expecting to get? I would think that the one time you really would like your horse to try to protect himself is if something is flying through the air towards his head."

LOL.
    Oh My!!!! I could never imagine throwing something at my foals or horses as a training method. I hope your boy was OK!!!
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

He was totally fine- he just needed a little more "boring" tarp work after that I think. LOL.

Glad to hear that
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

I too like to intro my babies to things - so sometimes they pasture in the jump field, cross country field and when the jump chute is set up we walk them through the poles - just to get the idea - no jumping - just a walk through for interest.