The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I have one of those. Have been offered over 50K for him more than once. My husband refuses to let me consider selling him...he says he is my life insurance out there!

A good horse, a genuinely good horse, is still a hard to find and expensive commodity even in this economy.
    Kate

Geez folks, come to Canada! I am sitting on a 5yr old ClydeX, 16.3 bay w chrome, sweet pocket pony attitude, hunted 10-15hunts so far, very well mannered, a true gentleman infact, jumps 2'9-3ft in the ring and in the field, logs, coops, barrels, stone walls etc and will easily go higher, we just don't want to push him too young. He is substantial enough for a gentleman, mannered enough for a lady, calm and brave personality, suitable for a novice with coach or experienced partner, good on the roads, through farm yards, water, trailers, excellent near the hound and has genuine hound sense. He spots hounds, horses or game every time and 'points' his nose at them (keeps moving though). Sound, good feet, easy keeper....and we'll have to push to get 8-10k for him up here.

I've got a pretty black and white clydeX mare sitting at a friends place, up and coming hunter, 9yrs 16.3, no spook at all, green in the ring but follows along like a babysitter in a group. Very aware of her feet, never trips, balanced canter and smooth tidy jump. Ideal 'hubby horse'. Looking for $4500, $6000 once she's a few hunts in.

Just sold a 13.3 STOCKY pinto mare (part Halflinger I think) carried a lady easily, was incredibly calm out on her first hunt, jumped everything with a timid rider then fell alseep at the checks. sold for $1200.

Just sold a little cob type guy, 6yrs, he was green in the ring but hacked alone or in a group, good on the roads, looked like a mini frisien, $1300. Hasn't hunted but will start this fall.

I'm not trying to advertise, just tell you guys what your dollar buys north of the boarder. And these are just a few of the horses I am riding or brokered personally in the past 6 months. Even going hunt horses with a few season under their belt sell for 10-12k, maybe more if they also successfully event or have a second discipline, are stunning, or such a baby sitter that they can take a complete beginner. Some of our hunts arent as long and hard as the VA, SC or PA hunts, so hard to say if all our horses have the bottom for it, but since most of the market seems to be for older adults wanting brains over brawn, pulling out at 3hours of hard fast hunting shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Maybe I should organize hunt horse sales tours to Ontario...

Just curious what you guys would pay for the same thing in a smaller package? Medium pony, but in mid teens so proven safe with lots of years left. Perfect short stirrup pony but nice mover and tight knees over fences. Clocks around happy to do whatever is asked of it. Hunts, events, hacks out alone or in company. I'm not selling just wondering what is a fair price. Also located on the East coast.

UUMM,when buying a "Foxhunter", be aware ,that been hunting does not a Foxhunter make.

It really does take a couple of seasons to "make " a good hunt horse.

I would never buy a foxhunter for big bucks unless I had "good hunter" references from the hunts it had "Supposedly " hunted with.

Many folks think that if they have hunted their horse[often aced up] a couple of times that they can ask a huge price for them.
    \"I have lived my life-it is nearly done-.I have played the game all round;But I freely admit that the best of my fun I owe it to Horse and Hound\".

How many hunts do you think it takes to call them that? I have one I'm going to hunt this season in preparation for sale. Just curious. She's five and hunted a couple of times last season. I'm going to get serious with her this season. But since I only hunt on weekends and I have four hunt horses, a season could be only 10 or more times for one of my horses. My two seasoned horses may have to sit out this season but I had riding the greenies ALL the time.
    -Painted Wings

Set youself apart from the crowd, ride a paint horse, you're sure to be spotted

If he has never hunted, around ten thousand. If he has hunted, and did well, closer to fifteen, but I would wonder why he was being sold.

Darn...glad I opened this thread to read. I have a horse 16.1 gelding, 12 years - foxhunter (experienced), eventer (winner @ N), show hunter (winning), attractive, quiet, rides in a snaffle, saddle. You all just doubled my asking price!!! Of course I'm in "nowhere" midwest. That DOES make a difference!! Location is everything!! Thanks!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Location Location Location like they say in Realestate....still a Serious Foxhunting horse, genuine 1st flight w/ verifiable references of 1st flighting over 2+ seasons under a good ammy rider 2+ X's week, capable of taking the field w/ Master, has hound sense, is trust worthy, stands @ checks and will jump what ever when ever where ever from any gait is worth 35K on up......2 sold 4 to go, and plenty of customers looking. The east coast hunts that have big rolling long run and jump territories still seem to prefer long legged big jumping stamina keeping TB's or mostly TB X beeds.
    Stop n go less jmping look for many diffrent types.

Well...she found something.We had to give on a few of the specs,but hopefully he will suit.He has a lot of good qualities ,but has only hunted twice .....sooooo I don't know.The whole situation turned out pretty strange ,and if it were up to me I would have passed,but that is me.He is a very comfortable ride ,jumps great and seems to have a good brain,but time will tell.Thanks for all the input.

We got a 16.2 hand 5 yo very flashy registered paint (mostly tb breeding) from a broker. He had shown in the hunter ring up to 3ft, had 90 days of dressage training, auto lead change, had gone cross country and was trail ridden in a group and alone. He was earmarked for a field hunter but was abused and dumped by the owner (they HATED each other). He was $1800, but needed a year off due to being a walking skeleton, the deep whip marks, need for a chiro, and his fear issues. Almost a year later he is puppy dog sweet and ready to get back under saddle!!! I don't really know how much he would be worth now. You could go that route, but it is a gamble.

Quote Originally Posted by Painted Wings View Post
    How many hunts do you think it takes to call them that?
    Call them a made hunter? I agree with Fernie, it takes a couple of seasons to well and truly make one- you really need that long just to encounter 'most' of the variables that go into etching 'made' in stone.

As for 'number of hunts' over those two seasons, well, you don't need to hunt 'em to death, but I'd say 15 to 20 outings per season anyway.

Translated to advertising- nothing wrong with saying 'hunted one season' or 'hunted x times' but if you tell me after even a dozen hunts you have a 'made' hunter, I wouldn't agree.

in your search the more important question you should ask is WHY is anyone one willing to sell a horse with that list of accomplishments for under $20K

unless he developed those accomplishments in a much lower cost enviornment.
    [way far from here]
    more hay, less grain

A horse that has only hunted twice is not a made field hunter. Not even close.

I hope the horse works out for them.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

To be a made hunter I'd say two seasons. My current horse, an ottb, changed his attitude toward hunting several times during the first two seasons -- he "settled" after the first few hunts (hilltopping) then got very enthusiastic when I moved him up to first flight. A bit change or two and more mileage has him going very nicely now but it was an evolution.

There are some horses that are fine from the get go (my Trakehner took to hunting like a duck to water and was fine from day 1) but you can't count on it.

I'm amazed by how many horses are advertised as foxhunters who really have no experience. An older gentleman I know is looking for a hunter right now and he really needs a seasoned hunter, not a prospect and not a horse that isn't quite an eventer but might do well in the hunt field!

Foxhunters online is a good place to find horses.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

jSwan,
    She came to the conclusion that she was not going to get a young ,good looking, well broke ,good moving ,Made Fox Hunter for under 20k.She settled for something that is 6,reasonably good looking,well broke,ok moving,very good jumper ,with a good brain.I counciled her against buying it without trying it in the hunt field but she decided to go with her gut and take the chance.He is a very pleasant horse ,and has done well on the 2 hunt trail rides so far,so hopefully she did alright. Not her dream horse,but her dream horse was way over her budget.She knows that he is not made with only 2 hunts,and has only the owners word that her was good,but she leapt into it.