The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What would you spend?

Looking to buy a pony for my niece, who's 9. I am coming across ponies that are still somewhat green and have no lead change. I will be training the pony myself, so that's not the issue. I would just like to know what would you be willing to spend for a pony that has very limited show history, isn't the most beautiful mover, and doesn't have a lead change. Any suggestions COTH?

If it's bomb proof and sound? No more than 5k. If it's bomb proof, sound, and able to got her through ss successfully? Maybe as much as 7,500. It depends on your area, too. When I'm in FL, I can procure ponies like that for much less than those prices; but when I'm up north that would be the lower end of what I might expect to spend.
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

The pony is quiet, backend can use some work. She is a sweet mare. She definitely needs some work.

A friend just paid $2500 for a good mover nice jumper very very sane and will do the pony hunter division(zone 2) in a year or so. Pony is green, no changes yet, jumps small courses and goes cross country without the blink of an eye. It was probably the steal of the century though.

If you can work the pony yourself have you considered heading somewhere like New Holland? Seriously. You could probably pick up a diamond in the rough there for next to nothing. I don't know how fancy you want this pony to be but it might be worth taking a look. I've seen some very nice animals that came from New Holland over the years.

My 2 Cents. If you are going to put time and effort into training a pony, why not make up one that is going to be fabulous when you are done? It takes just as much time to make up an ok one as a great one. Buy the quietiest and fanciest one you can afford and go from there. A crummy, bad moving, $2,500 pony will only be a $5,000 pony when you finish. A really fancy $5,000 pony from a breeder could be worth $50,000 when you are done.

Just sayin...

I would say 3-5k depending on your area, how cute the pony is, and how much potential the pony has.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

That would be a very cheap pony, but I would recommend going to the other end of the spectrum and buying an older pony that isn't a great mover or super fancy for the same price that your niece can ride now and not speculating that the green pony is going to have a good change, be good at shows, etc.

You could look around for someone who needs to move a pony on and couldn't be bothered with finding someone to sell it to. I gave ours away for $1, after buying him for $5K. He was a small Welsh, very cute looking, great jumper, but didn't do his changes and had a naughty streak. Did not want to sell him to some unsuspecting family (like someone did to me) so I gave him to someone who has a pony school, regular work/regular program/always supervised. I think he is doing well there (last I heard). There are ponies like that out there...

Wow!!! You have one very lucky niece!!! I would have loved to have had a pony when I was that young. What a wonderful Aunt you are!!! I hope it is the beginning of a wonderful adventure for the both of you.

Quote Originally Posted by llsc View Post
    A really fancy $5,000 pony from a breeder could be worth $50,000 when you are done.
    I'm in the market, and not finding anything that's "really fancy" for $5000 (unless it's still at its mother's side).