The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default M Toulouse saddles

Hi all

I'm in the market for a new saddle or slightly used. Can anyone tell me how the toulouse saddles wear? Do they hold up over time? thanks

I've had a Sellier for 5 years now. Bought it for my 16th birthday for myself - and I'll be 21 in less then a month (woot!). I rode hard in it April-Nov each of those years. I am just now starting to notice some of the stitching wearing through and the stirriup leathers making some good rubs in it. Basically it is finally looking broken in. I bought it brand new for $800, and absolutely love it. Very comfy, easy to ride in, etc. For people looking for a quality lower priced saddle I recommend the M.T.'s with 5 stars

Smile Hey HGem

Happy 21st Birthday- woot woot!

I have a Legano that I rode in for three years. I've been pretty vigilant about cleaning it and it's held up beautifully. It has some "rubs" under the stirrup leathers, but nothing I wouldn't expect after three years of use.

My big con (and the reason mine is for sale) is that while it is VERY comfy, it puts me in a "chair" position. The stirrup bars are too far forward for me which makes it hard to stay in two point. That said, if I'm going to sit on my butt, it's a comfy saddle to sit on.

Here is a photo after 3 years of regular use...
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...2&id=665238181
    Last edited by JWB; Jun. 20, 2011 at 11:06 PM.

There's a lot of different styles and I'm sure the different leathers (mine for instance is their double leather) wear differently.

I have a Legano - LOVE it. Puts me in a good position, I use it for all 3 phases at the horse trials. If you get the double leather/calf leather, make sure you get covered leathers or it will wear ugly I've heard. I clean mine and it looks fantastic - it's held up to sometimes riding 4 horses in a day 5 days a week, mostly now I ride just 1 or 2 horses 6 days a week. I've had it for a year and half. I ride a lot of trails - it's been submerged in ponds and ridden in downpours - none of the stitching is out of place.

I think if you take care of these saddles, they will last just fine. I'm happy for the price I paid.

I have a friend with the Celine and she also loves her saddle - it has broken in nicely as well.

I recently tried a Toulouse Annice. Loved the way it sat. Felt like a pillow, but that was a problem for me, too. Just too much saddle between me and the horse. I ended up returning it. I did really like where it put my leg, though; I didn't find that it was too far forward. I also liked that it was very grippy to sit in. I have no idea how they hold up, though. Good luck with your search.

My daughter has a Padjette she absolutely loves. Very sticky and comfy and no problems with leg position. She has had this saddle for almost 3 years now. Wear is not an issue except for the extra piece of leather at the bottom of the flap. My daughter rides in this saddle heavily. Usually more than once a day year round. After a year and a half that little strip of leather was completely worn through. The company took the saddle back and replaced it and now it is wearing through again. I would caution you to purchase one without that strip at the bottom of the flap. The flap leather should wear fine without it. The strip is too thin and the stitching rubs out from use. I'm hoping the company will replace it again, but it is a hassle (and expense) to send it back to the company every year and a half to have that replaced. If I had to do it all over again I would have purchased the same saddle they offer it without that strip on the bottom of the flap. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by JWB View Post
    My big con (and the reason mine is for sale) is that while it is VERY comfy, it puts me in a "chair" position. The stirrup bars are too far forward for me which makes it hard to stay in two point. That said, if I'm going to sit on my butt, it's a comfy saddle to sit on.
    I had the same problem with my Stadia. I eventually got rid of it, because I only ended up trail riding in it and it was taking up space. And like DoWeDance, it was just a tad too much saddle between me and the horse.
    There's coffee in that nebula.

I've been noticing this M. Toulouse in the Nashville Craigslist. Awesome price. http://nashville.craigslist.org/grd/2444730160.html I already own one, and like it.

*** EDIT ***

I just realized this may not be appropriate to post? It's not my saddle. Just one I see on craigslist for a good price.
    Last edited by ParadoxFarm; Jun. 21, 2011 at 07:17 PM. Reason: adding

I just got the M Toulouse Annice, and I LOVE it on horses it works for, but when it doesn't work on a horse it's AWFUL. It has a really forward flap, which again, I have absolutely no problem on some horses, but others it's so annoying I literally cannot ride them in it. Have to ride them in my Courbette (which I love, anyways). It just wants to put me in such an awful chair seat depending on the fit, which is really frusterating when you're trying to work with the babies, I can't dedicate all my effort to fighting habits I don't even have (hah, I have enough habits to worry about). That being said, I have no regrets buying mine, I love it that much. Yes, there is a lot between you and the horse, I've had to get used to it, but it's super comfortable. I've yet to try different liftbacks and such to see if it helps on the others.

Just try it out first, you'll either love it or hate it! For me, I'll sacrifice it not quite working on every horse, but luckily I'm keeping my other saddle.