The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How do the seatbones influence bend?

Just need some basic info here...my horse is more difficult on the left rein. Am wondering if it's how I'm weighting my inside seatbone. He tends to want to avoid being straight on this rein by moving his inside hind to the inside, and popping his outside shoulder. I counterbend to correct this and he leans on the left rein a good bit...happy camper going on the right rein. Any thoughts? Thanks!
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

I think you've answered your own question. Try sitting with your weight *slightly* on the outside seatbone and see if it makes a difference. I'm guessing it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

Put your horse in a shoulder-fore position instead of counterbending him.
    You need to prevent the outside shoulder to pop out and bring those haunches straight!

Try to stay as straight as possible with your seatbones. You need to put more weight in the inside (or in the bend) but...think of it as lengthening your inside leg instead.

Wink

I suspect that you are concentrating on your seat, and neglecting the influence of your legs. So the weighting of the seat should be only used in combination with the bend requested by your legs, and never to the extreme. And all of this is supported but not led by your reins
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.