The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

Default Cross Country Shipping... to wrap or not to wrap, that is the question.

I'll be professionally shipping my horse from NC to CO in late Aug or Sept. I think I'll be using Equine Express. They gave me a great quote and I've heard really good things and read great reviews of them.

So my question is: Should I wrap my horse's legs? I have not yet found a pair of off the rack shipping boots that truly fit her well. She's very fine boned so horse size swallow her tiny legs, but Cob or pony size are too short for her back legs. The boots I currently have frequently slip and twist on short trips... on one trip where she was in the trailer less than 30 minutes, she actually removed a hind boot with the Velcro still closed... after that I quit using them altogether since I really don't haul long distances.

I was thinking about wrapping her in no bows and standing wraps. Good idea or not so good idea? I know if the wrap comes loose, the company will remove them, but will not reapply a standing wrap (good policy). So I am torn as what to do. I am imagining my horse pulling into her new farm with 1 leg wrap remaining, which of course, defeats the purpose of wrapping in the first place.
    Dreaming in Color

Most shippers will request that you not wrap. Especially for overnight as a lot of people do not want the liability of re-wrapping or having a wrap come part way off. I shipped a horse from MT to VA and he only had on pull-on bell boots. He still managed to get one off in transit but came off the trailer fine. How long are they estimating travel time? If there is an overnight rest she could have wraps on for over 24 hours which I would be niffy about.

(Sorry about run-on sentences my comma key is not working!)
    Why do I work two jobs to support a horse I don't have time to ride?

I shipped my old horse from Michigan to Washington state bare legged. That way they don't have to mess with wraps that come undone, and the wraps can't slide down or twist or whatever.

The road noise will keep their legs tight. My horse came off the van fine.

We shipped 3 horses from VT to WA with no wraps or boots (as requested by the shipper) and they were just fine. I would say forget the wraps.

Ditto above; but you can always check w/ shipper if that makes you more comfortable.

I shipped from NH to NC with boots and now wish I hadn't. The first leg of the trip was HOT (go figure, it was hotter on the New Hampshire end!) and the shipper said that when she stopped for gas/restroom breaks, he spent most of the time when he should have been resting/drinking trying to take his boots off. He didn't succeed, and he arrived fine (though otherwise naked; he somehow managed to take off his halter and head bumper and spread two entire bales of hay around the trailer once he was loose. He was literally up to his knees in hay and quite obviously pleased with himself.). However I wonder if he would have been cooler and more relaxed without them.

I do put boots on him for short trips, but if I ever take him on a longer trip, I'll put on good bell boots and leave his legs naked.

Definitely no wraps. That is way too long to wear them and a shipper will not adjust them if something goes wrong.

Indeed, I shipped VA to UT in the 90s...no wraps.

I had a horse shipped from southern california to WA with no boots / wraps. He was fine when he got off the trailer.

I shipped my horse from Maryland to Georgia and didn't wrap him or use any sort of boots. He arrived just fine.
    The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
    Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Two horses from Arkansas to NV bare legs and no problems. Currently moving mare and foal from Wisconsin, two mares, foal, yearling from Iowa bare and will be moving two weanlings from Alberta and three mares from OK...all without wraps or boots and expect no problems. Hauler requests that if I MUST use something I use well fitting shipping boots....but he plans on 3-4 days (5-600 miles per day) from Wisconsin to here with travel at night (cooler) if needed and off-trailer lay over during days to allow them to walk around. Mare/foal pairs in box stalls.
    Colored Cowhorse Ranch
    www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
    Northern NV

No wraps. No boots.

With everyone else. No wraps but bell boot if you want. She'll be much happier without. I used to wrap all the time no matter what. I've come to find that unless there is a specific reason not wrapping is best.
    Camels spit, Mary, camels - Catherine Haddad "Dressage Critic

Definitely no wraps. Love Equine Express!

I've shipped no wraps/boots. Most of the transporters I dealt with prefer it that way.
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Draught Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

I just used the bellboots with the sheepskin around the tops, nothing else--or completely naked. All arrived fine.

I am enroute to florida with two of my ultra-pampered jumpers as I type this; neither of whom are wrapped. These are horses that get wrapped if they sneeze, but for long hauls I manage to refrain. They stay much cooler and kick less without them. I do wrap going to and from horse shows, but that's a relatively short distance and mostly out of habit. Granted, they are both total pros when it comes to shipping (you completely forget they're back there, even with bad roads and heavy traffic) so it might be different if your mare is a nervous traveler, but I'd avoid boots/bandages if you can.
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

Thanks for the replies! No wraps it is.
    Dreaming in Color

Quote Originally Posted by Punkie View Post
    They stay much cooler and kick less without them.
    Agree with Punkie. I shipped a 4 yr old TB from KY to NJ that had annular ligament surgery 3 months prior to the trip. No wraps, no bell boots....on the advice of his surgeon.

He walked off the trailer (Bob Hubbard) in excellent condition, happy and relaxed. Trip took 3 days due to picking up/dropping off other horses & an overnight layover.