The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question X post from off course- short layover/turnout needed- ideas?

I am hauling my mare up to our new home in Virginia on Saturday (from Atlanta) and it's going to be a long trip with me driving the truck/trailer, mom in my car, and dad driving the moving truck. We planned to stop for a "break" and dinner somewhere near Greensboro NC and I wanted to hopefully find a place to get Jazz off the trailer for about an hour while we eat and turn her out to move around.

Any COTHers know anyone in the area near Greensboro NC or Danville VA who might let me use a paddock for an hour or so or any resource for looking up places that offer this type of service?

Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks!
    Jazz- 4.9.01 OTTB, loved since 12.6.09
    Skip- 3.3.91 APHA, i miss you buddy

How long of a drive is it? Honestly, I wouldn't get her off the trailer unless she has a medical issue that requires her getting off to move around. I would go ahead and stop for dinner, hang a water bucket up for her while you are eating and let her rest on the trailer with all windows down for air flow and park in the shade.

Default time

its about 8 hours if traffic is perfect. and its just sooo hot- even in the shade with the windows down- SO HOT- and she refuses to drink/eat on the trailer

I would just leave earlier and drive straight up and skip the lengthy stop. Just get snacks and stop for gas and to offer water. Go out for dinner when you get to Va. You'll miss all the bad traffic too!
    "A little less chit-chat a little more pitter-pat"

Quote Originally Posted by BigRuss1996 View Post
    I would just leave earlier and drive straight up and skip the lengthy stop. Just get snacks and stop for gas and to offer water. Go out for dinner when you get to Va. You'll miss all the bad traffic too!
    Knowing it is only an eight hour drive, I totally agree. Get up as early as possible, leave at 4am and you will be at your destination around noon, to beat the heat. Just stop for fuel and maybe McDs or some other fast food.

Leave at dawnthirty, drive right thru, beat the traffic and the heat...we did Aiken to C'ville that way.

Default thanks

dawnthirty would be my first choice, but the movers arent coming until 8am, so i am at the mercy of how long it takes them to get my giant antique furniture onto the truck...

i am trying to talk my parents into just driving straight through but jazz's "grandmother"/my mom is insisting that i find a place to let her out for a while so i am indulging her and found a place if the need arises. i can't WAIT to show her this thread though because all of you said exactly what i thought!! you know mothers! i'm 28 and i still just do what she says!

Cool Strategy

If you are dealing with furniture movers, you may be held up for hours. They don't run by other people's schedules.

What about leaving the next morning? If your horse is living at your place, perhaps you can arrange permission to let her stay that night. Or stay at a friend's barn.

Check with your vet about electrolyte loading before the trip. Include your mom in the vet phone call, so she hears from the vet what is best for the horse. That way she hears it from an authority. Keeps you out of the middle during a highly charged, stressful, emotional time for both of you. She is trying to be supportive of you in the best way she knows how. Invest in her education, and it will help both of you change the dynamic of the relationship to an adult to adult one.

Where are you going to be in Va? I look forward to seeing you up here.
    Intermediate Riding Skills

Red face

OOPS! I've been following your C'ville thread and didn't connect the 2 threads..

Sent you a p.m., too.
    Intermediate Riding Skills

thanks whicker, you are totally right about including her in the vet call. we normally have a fabulous relationship, but when she gets stressed and goes into "mother hen" mode, it's hard to slow her down! my dad and brother and i have a running joke that she turns into what martha stewart would be like on cocaine

i have readied the electrolytes, ulcer-guard, extra yummy hay and peppermints for the trip...now to just trick her into drinking water in the trailer. i am specifically bringing water from our farm so hopefully that will help!

can't wait to get to VA...already picked out my new car tag with the horse on it!