The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Sorta near the Devon Horse Show grounds...

Default IRAP therapy- your experiences?

Well, after discussing HA, etc. with a Vet friend, IRAP is now a consideration. Apparently, it has some wonderful benefits including, but not limited to, regenerating cartilage.

Anyone done it recently? I understand the pricing has become more attractive, as well.

TIA
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE them- Maya Angelou
    www.americansaddlebredsporthorse.net
    http://www.asbsporthorse.blogspot.com/

Had it done a few years back on a clients horse who was here for rehab from a knee fracture. She was stiff and off when she arrived and had been for weeks. Unfortunately, the injury had been let go without investigation. Anyways, IRAP and other therapies (meds, cold therapy, etc) and a year off and pony was good to go. Currently with new owner and still jumping.
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com

Thanks!

Anyone with any fetlock stories?

Quote Originally Posted by ASB Stars View Post
    Well, after discussing HA, etc. with a Vet friend, IRAP is now a consideration. Apparently, it has some wonderful benefits including, but not limited to, regenerating cartilage.

Anyone done it recently? I understand the pricing has become more attractive, as well.

TIA

Sorry to burst you bubble but there never has been any evidence that IRAP can regenerate cartilage. It is a catabolic (destructive) pathway inhibitor. It can not affect the anabolic (growth) pathways unless very specific proteins are present (e.g. IGF-1 and -2 as well as the IGF binding proteins and several other components).

I am not sure where your vet is getting his information. IRAP is effective in its modulation of inflammatory processes in vivo. I just attended a lecture on IRAP by Wayne McIlwraith he gave to our orthopaedic residents. He never suggested IRAP could regenerate cartilage and he is leading some of the veterinary investigations into IRAP therapies in joints.

Reed

Just had it done on a stifle. Will tell you if it worked in a few weeks .
    Was told stifle & coffin joints are notorious to not respond well to your regular joint injections and irap is most often used in those.

Quote Originally Posted by RAyers View Post
    Sorry to burst you bubble but there never has been any evidence that IRAP can regenerate cartilage. It is a catabolic (destructive) pathway inhibitor. It can not affect the anabolic (growth) pathways unless very specific proteins are present (e.g. IGF-1 and -2 as well as the IGF binding proteins and several other components).

I am not sure where your vet is getting his information. IRAP is effective in its modulation of inflammatory processes in vivo. I just attended a lecture on IRAP by Wayne McIlwraith he gave to our orthopaedic residents. He never suggested IRAP could regenerate cartilage and he is leading some of the veterinary investigations into IRAP therapies in joints.

Reed
    Well, wait until she hears THIS!

Somehow, I just knew I'd get the straight stuff on here- thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by RAyers View Post

Reed
    Reed - is there anything new on IRAP or PRP or stem cells?

And why aren't human doctors using this stuff on people????????
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Reed - is there anything new on IRAP or PRP or stem cells?

And why aren't human doctors using this stuff on people????????

IRAP (the Orthokine method) can only be done on animals. It is not approved for humans. There would be a huge risk to the company if it was used on a person and an adverse effect noted. Because there is little evidence as to their efficacy people are waiting for the animal data to be collected and as of the moment, there is little clear evidence to show a definitive effect.

Yes, treatments such as PRP and stem cells are done on athletes but as experimental procedures. Again, the data shows no definitive effect. It works for some and not for others (contrary to most marketing you see).

Heavy sigh.

Thanks, Reed.

OP, I hope your horse is better soon.
    -Rudyard Kipling

http://www.delingehoeve.nl/dierenartsen/nieuws.php

I can't find any info this regarding in english. But here they say IRAP-1 is old and there's now a new more potent version : IRAP-2.
    Anyone knows about the 2 vs 1 version?
    This was not mentioned by my vets.

I did it in the coffin joints without noticing much of a difference. Mare did have some other issues going on though, so it's hard to say for sure.

The last time we did the injections, we added some steroid, and it helped more, so I personally will just stick to regular joint injections in the future.

I have heard plenty of good IRAP success stories though.

I've used it a ton and always with huge success. I've always used it on stifle tears in conjunction with an Aquatred/handwalking/stallresting rehab program.
    What's your diagnosis?
    "ronnie was the gifted one, victor was the brilliant intellect, and i [GM], well, i am the plodder."

Quote Originally Posted by Lieslot View Post

I can't find any info this regarding in english. But here they say IRAP-1 is old and there's now a new more potent version : IRAP-2.
    This was not mentioned by my vets.
    IRAP is Interleukin-1 Receptor Antagonist Protein. The 1 and 2 are the systems by which they harvest and culture the protein out. I suspect the 2 enable a more purified IL-1ra to be created.

We had a Standardbred staying at the barn I board my horse at that was having weekly IRAP injections in her knee. I don't know the details as to why she needed the IRAP treatments, except that she had an extensive lameness workup done by Dr. Genovese, who did the actual IRAP processing(not sure if that is the correct term) and then while she stayed at the same barn as my horse, our local clinic came and did the injections. My BO and I were just talking the other night and apparently this little filly has been cleaning up at the track since the treatment with several wins already. I think her last treatment was in late April or early May.

Quote Originally Posted by ASB Stars View Post
    Thanks!

Anyone with any fetlock stories?
    We have a teenaged pony who went quite lame last summer with a substantial amount of fill in his fetlock. We were seriously thinking he had done something horrible to a soft tissue (which would have been crushing for the girls who own him). Thankfully, it was "just" a lot of significant arthritis and the fill was inflammation (did ultrasound to be sure). IRAP was thought to be the best treatment. It REALLY helped him and got him going quite well (if not actually better than before). He hunted soundly over the winter and his dressage is so much better. I have been very pleased with the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Lieslot View Post

Lieslot - RAyers could probably point you to really good info.

But you can also use Google Scholar to find out info on this subject (or pretty much any subject). Usually you can only access some of the information, not the entire study. Still, it can be very helpful.

Here is a link to a study done on IRAP versus IRAP II. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...0.00321.x/full
    -Rudyard Kipling