The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fabriano

Has anyone used his semen recently? Is it still good quality? Also, If anyone has any doses for sale, please let me know

If you're talking about the Hanoverian stallion Fabriano standing at Celle, I used his semen 5-6 years ago which resulted in a one dose pregnancy and know of plenty of others with similar success.

I LOVE this stallion!! His semen is known for being quite good. I would request the doses be pulled from an older stock if possible....this guy is getting pretty old, so he may not be as fertile as in years past.

But he has a history of have wonderful semen.

Bought two doses of Fabriano semen late last summer from one of the routine semen brokers.

Two mares in foal.

First is about 80d in foal carrying her own. Last ultrasound was early last week. Second foal is an ET being carried by a surrogate. That mare is 62d in foal. Last checked by ultrasound about d50.

Semen came as eight 0.5ml straws/dose. Straws dated 01.11.99, which I believe is 1.November.99

Semen looked good under the scope.
    Last edited by 4M Perennial Farm; Jun. 25, 2011 at 09:10 AM.

ohhh... I love fabriano. I have a fabuleux and he's stunning. I fell in love with fabriano on fabuleux's stallion video, it's because of him that I decided to breed to fabuleux. Wonderful horse.

I have doses of Fabriano I was planning on using on one of my mares in 2011, but we decided to wait until next year. We chose Fabriano for some reasons for this mare, but I was wondering if he would contribute to add length of legs or not (as I have another mare in head in the case I have semen left and she would benefit from that).

I'd be curious to hear, from those who used him, what he has improved on the mares, and why you've chose him in the first place. And what is the general consensus about wich lines crosses best with him.
    Les Écuries d'Automne, Québec, Canada
    Visit EdA's Facebook page!

Nobody to answer? Those of you who have bred with him. What was your mare's breeding? What were you looking to improve on her?

I have Fabriano semen from 2008 and still have not used but plan to in future. I heard from a reliable source he adds length to the back. I plan to send this person a picture of my intended mare to make sure he feels they will be good match. I also have heard semen is great. I intend to use him on a Don Frederico mare o/o Rosentau/Weltmeyer dam.
    HiddenAcresFarm.Net
    Imported from Germany, Assembled in Michigan
    Rare damline of 7 direct generations of Elite/States Premium Mares.

I bought 4 doses in 2004. Did the timed insemination protocol at NBC with the mare in residence for 3 cycles. Nada. Brought her home, used a dose of Waldaire post ov and she was in foal. She'd always been an easy breeder, so we just chalked it up to a 'not to be' bloodline combination. FWIW.

Default From a long time ago

I remember seeing his stallion ads in the mid-90s. I always thought he was superb....but I never got around breeding to him, because I am a Holsteiner breeder.

I have ridden/known one Fabriano that is trained/competing to GP, he is very willing to ride, quirky to handle on the ground but his under saddle rideability and willingness "makes up" for it. He is not huge 16.1, very east trot to sit, good walk and canter. He could have used a stronger/more developed hind end.

Default Both are here and healthy

Quote Originally Posted by 4M Perennial Farm View Post
    Bought two doses of Fabriano semen late last summer from one of the routine semen brokers.

Two mares in foal.

First is about 80d in foal carrying her own. Last ultrasound was early last week. Second foal is an ET being carried by a surrogate. That mare is 62d in foal. Last checked by ultrasound about d50.

Semen came as eight 0.5ml straws/dose. Straws dated 01.11.99, which I believe is 1.November.99

Semen looked good under the scope.
    Our 2012 foals by Fabriano have arrived.

The first foal is a colt o/o a Thoroughbred mare. He is sociable and exuberant (translation: sometimes he has trouble containing his enthusiasm). He is quickly learning acceptable and unacceptable behavior. At 3 1/2 weeks, this guy is an eye appealing, athletic, bundle of energy.

The second foal is a filly out of a Londonderry/Santano/Grandduell mare via embryo transfer to a surrogate. Five days old today. She is a long legged, elegant girl. Her personality is still developing, but to date she meets human visitors quietly and confidently. Naturally uphill, she departs with hindquarters engaged and forehand elevated. She's still working on what to do with those legs once she gets up to speed.

Both foals will be registered AHS.

One of the most fertile stallions I know. His semen has always been and still is of super quality. Next to Rascalino it should range under miracle drug *lol* as both stallions are known to get virtually everything pregnant. My guess is there must be more to these than plain semen-cell physiognomy. I suspect their additional equipment (e.g. chemistry) must be very special as it seems to be far less irritating than other semen even when used in extender or post thawing.
    Very nice stallion btw

1 members found this post helpful.

OMG 4MPF. I want her!! She is lovely. And I love londonderry too! So imagine. Drolling.

I have some doses of Fabriano too. I was supposed to breed one of my mare to him but finally I think Dauphin will be a better cross for her (we want to keep a filly). Now I need to find the perfect mare to use my Fabriano semen. Next year perhaps!

A friend of ours split a Fabriano dose, bred, got an embryo and recipient hung onto it. Used the second half and got an additional pregnancy so I'd say Fabriano semen is excellent quality.

Good luck!!
    Jan Marquardt
    Walkabout Station
    www.walkaboutstation.com
    Join us on Facebook www.facebook.com/walkaboutstation

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    OMG 4MPF. I want her!! She is lovely. And I love londonderry too! So imagine. Drolling.

I have some doses of Fabriano too. I was supposed to breed one of my mare to him but finally I think Dauphin will be a better cross for her (we want to keep a filly). Now I need to find the perfect mare to use my Fabriano semen. Next year perhaps!
    Spike - thank you. I think she will be special. Time will tell. Best of luck with the Dauphin cross.

Bumping this thread up.

I still have my doses of Fabriano, and one mare that might suit him but I am not sure yet. For those who have met the old man in person, seen him undersaddle when he was younger, or for those who have had foals from him, would you mind if I PM you to discuss more what you think he reliably passes on in terms of conformation (the good and the less good) and what he improves in gaits? The mare I am looking to breed to him if we go ahead and breed her this year via frozen instead of fresh (with Sir Gregory), is overall very nicely put together, strong back, good topline, very nice neck and neckset, lots of knee action, good use of hindquarters in canter especially. She is kind, good natured, sometimes a bit worried but not the spooky kind. She was easy undersaddle, her first foal was a GOV premium. She would need a bit of a longer front legs, and more swing in her gaits, longer stride at the trot. Good strong feet would be welcome too. Want to produce an amateur friendly horse, with no limits regarding the potential for upper level. Mare is Dormello x Manstein x Waldsee. She got an overall 7.2 at her mare inspection in Germany, but was never performance tested. She got some 8 for her type and frame. We want to present her to Hanoverian mare inspection in Ontario in 2013. http://www.autumnsstables.com/eng/donna_magica.html

It's not true that I had nothing on. I had the radio on.”
    ? Marilyn Monroe