The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Planning a trip to ride on the beach in Washington or Oregon...

Well we've been talking about doing this for a long time and I thought I would try to plan it! So, do you have any recommendations of places to stay where horses and people could then ride to the beach?

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Sea Horse Acres, on Long Beach in WA. (seahorseacres.net). I have friends who go there every year and LOVE it. 19 miles of sand beach to ride on, fabulous accommodations for horse and human. Good restaurants in Astoria (short drive into Oregon), historic areas, shopping.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Thanks for that info CC! My family has a beach shack up in the area and if we ever make it up there I will look into it!
    Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
    Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products

That looks like a great place! Thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by kipster View Post
    Well we've been talking about doing this for a long time and I thought I would try to plan it! So, do you have any recommendations of places to stay where horses and people could then ride to the beach?
    Almost all of the beach front in Oregon is public land (may all be by now) and there are lots of small little beaches as well as long stretches that are great. Most have campsites nearby (check with Oregon State Parks for ones that accomodate horses) and much of the area is rural so you might find private places for horse overnights if you check out B&B listings as well.
    Colored Cowhorse Ranch
    www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
    Northern NV

Oh my gosh! Come to Long Beach! Big open beach, you can ride for miles and miles and miles and miles.

Seahorse Acres is very nice.

If you want cheaper options, Peninsula Saddle Club offers camping and pens for the horses. Not particularly nice, but servicable, and the bathrooms are clean. You have to ride through town to get to the beach.

Red Barn Arena offers stalls. Not a nice facility. Ask for an outdoor pipe corral stall w/run if the weather is nice enough for it. Bring water buckets and be prepared: the water is nasty and will stain your buckets. If you want an indoor stall, they're safe and servicable, but dark. You must either trailer to the beach or ride down Sandridge (a busy road with minimal shoulder, though totally doable on a road-safe horse) and then through town. Though Red Barn borders Saddle Club and it would offer a route, they do not allow you to cross their property.

Come visit me! I work at Long Beach Coffee Roasters (LongBeachCoffee.com). We make great coffee and if you happen to be riding up our beach approach (Sid Snyder), we'll run out to the parking lot and serve you on horseback