The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default hunter, equitation, then jumpers

I've noticed that kids will start riding and showing in hunters, then equitation and then the jumpers. and i've never understood why.

Hunters are easier for kids to understand (remembering courses) and the horses are generally easier to ride/easier going. It's also important to start in the hunters because you can learn about distances, equitation, riding quietly and effectively etc.

Then equitation increases difficulty (and height goes up unless you go all the way up to junior hunters) while still implementing the importance on quietness, effectiveness, finding distances and testing your riding.

After equitation at 3'6" and 3'9" the rider is ready to move up into the jumpers. Since the fundamentals are instilled, now you can focus on racing the clock, galloping, the technicalities of riding a hard jumper course etc etc etc

Well put.

Quote Originally Posted by karlymacrae View Post
    Hunters are easier for kids to understand (remembering courses) and the horses are generally easier to ride/easier going. It's also important to start in the hunters because you can learn about distances, equitation, riding quietly and effectively etc.

Then equitation increases difficulty (and height goes up unless you go all the way up to junior hunters) while still implementing the importance on quietness, effectiveness, finding distances and testing your riding.

After equitation at 3'6" and 3'9" the rider is ready to move up into the jumpers. Since the fundamentals are instilled, now you can focus on racing the clock, galloping, the technicalities of riding a hard jumper course etc etc etc
    And don't forget the FUN! No dress up clothes! No politics! No waiting around to see whether you rung that particular judge's bell!
    Whoopee!
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

Hunters and equitation provide a foundation for the jumpers.

It must be nice to be start with hunters then eq then go to jumpers... I started in the jumpers, but at the same time I wish I'd done some hunters as a youngin. Too late now! haha
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

Thank you for posting this!

Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    And don't forget the FUN! No dress up clothes! No politics! No waiting around to see whether you rung that particular judge's bell!
    Whoopee!
    I was totally going to say that but I didn't want people to come around and be like "but you're implying that hunters and equitation are NO FUN!"

Also, most shows don't offer low jumpers. A lot of shows start jumpers off at 2'9'' or 3ft, where hunters and eq start at 2ft (or even lower such a short/long stirrup.)

So a 2'3''/2'6'' rider doesn't really have the option to do jumpers. Obviously there are some exceptions (garden state has 2'3'' jumpers) but it can get a little scary!

Some local shows are offering low jumper classes - which can be a mixed blessing - great for the responsible rider wanting to get their feet wet; but dangerous for those who want the adrenaline pump of jumpers but the fences are so low there's nothing to rock the horse back... usually daredevil youths

Quote Originally Posted by gottagrey View Post
    Some local shows are offering low jumper classes - which can be a mixed blessing - great for the responsible rider wanting to get their feet wet; but dangerous for those who want the adrenaline pump of jumpers but the fences are so low there's nothing to rock the horse back... usually daredevil youths
    This. My trainer did the 2'3'' jumpers with a greenie just to get him in the ring. But we also saw some very very scary rounds (and they are usually the winning ones.)
    Last edited by Rel6; Jun. 21, 2011 at 02:47 PM. Reason: spelling

It probably also depends what program the trainer/barn has & what the rider (or parents who are paying the bills) wants as well.

I have seen kids go from short stirrup/ponies into childrens jumpers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rel6 View Post
    Also, most shows don't offer low jumpers. A lot of shows start jumpers off at 2'9'' or 3ft, where hunters and eq start at 2ft (or even lower such a short/long stirrup.)
    And those are not low jumpers?????
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

I think it's great to start the HORSES out in hunters before jumpers as well. Same principle--instill the basics of a good smooth course and control before moving on to more complicated and fast paced jumper courses.

Quote Originally Posted by karlymacrae View Post
    I was totally going to say that but I didn't want people to come around and be like "but you're implying that hunters and equitation are NO FUN!"
    Hunters are only fun if your horse has a 12-foot-stride and never, ever deviates from that, right?

How do the Europeans do it, since they don't really show hunters?
    "Go on, Bill — this is no place for a pony."

As a junior rider with every intention of following that pattern, all I have to say is that it's FUN! This year is my first year seriously showing in the medals and whatnot with some hunters sprinkled in. I recently got the horse of my dreams and couldn't be happier! After I age out of Eq, I really want to do jumpers. It's challenging (not to say hunters isn't), it's fast-paced, and it's high. People do it for the adrenaline rush and challenge.
    "Many are riders; many are craftsmen; but few are artists on horseback."
    ~George Morris

Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    And those are not low jumpers?????
    Not compared to how low in height the hunters and equitation go...

Google Missy Clark's explanation about the importance of the Equitation in relation to riding, showing, jumpers, etc...

I don't think any of the A shows around here have jumpers below 1m. B's start at .90 and C start at 2'6 for a clear round, then 2'9 for the actual classes, so it's harder to start out in there.

Hunters, at the low level, are 'easier' and generally the round with the less mistakes wins. Thus, you're rewarded for your distances, your rhythm etc.

I think, at least IMO, some of the switch to eq. comes for more challenge, they start throwing trot jumps, counter canter, combinations, bending lines etc. at you where outside diagonal has gotten boring. The other part may also simply come from price. At some point you can go in there and put down the greatest ride of your life and come out empty, however, at least for the B&C levels taking your odd ArabXMorgan that has a sewing machine for a trot in the 3' eq. will still be rewarding.

Perhaps I'm too old-school but I think the hunter, then equitation/medal then jumper route makes the most sense. Learn what you're doing first, then make it more difficult. Most of the best jumper riders were good equitation riders first. That's probably not a coincidence. There seem to be more lower level options in the jumper divisions these days but I learned how to ride first, then proved it to myself in the equitation/medals and then moved on to the jumpers. I took a bit of a break from horses (20-ish years) and returned feeling like Rip Van Winkle upon seeing some of the technological "advancements" like magnetic stirrups, glue-like spray for legs and saddles, etc. and, unfortunately, what appears to be an overall decline in horsemanship but alas, that is off-topic and likely a good candidate for another thread.