The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Equines with a sense of humor

So I'm tacking up a new TB I've started to work with, he's a very friendly attention loving type of horse.

I stoop down directly to the side of his hind end to grab a mane comb from my brush box that is against the wall and on the floor of the aisle way.

I'm digging in the box looking for the comb and I feel this slight pressure on my backside and before I can say "what the hay", I am gently pushed forwards loosing my balance and go toppling over onto my hands.

I turn my head and see Mr. TB slowly returning his hind leg to the ground.

I stand up to interrogate the prankster, and he has that unmistakable look that horses get in they're eyes when they've done something mischievous and are laughing inside. My horse sense sees it for what it is and I opt to not make a big deal out of it, and I just tell him not to do that again.

What I'm marveling at, is that he had to lift his leg slowly, extend it out to the side, and then move it back about 12 inches to achieve this effect.

I have seen horses slowly stretch using a similar motion before, but it wasn't like I was right next to him, I was out to the side next to the wall of the aisle, and he had to do some contorting to reach me.

I'm chalking it up to being an equine practical joke, if he wanted to hurt me he could have easily done so.

I will now always keep my brush box at the front of the horse as I had been taught early in life, for now I have yet another example of what can happen when you put a brush box on the floor next to the hind end of a horse.

The horse can:

1) Poop in it.
    2) Step on it.
    3) Knock you over and laugh at you when to stoop over to get something from it.
    Last edited by alterhorse; Jun. 21, 2011 at 12:02 AM.

Hahahahaha....love a horse with a jokester side to him.

Had a business partner at one time, an attorney who thought it appropriate to wear $1K suits and matching shoes to visit the ranch. Also had a little Polish/Crabbet Arab stallion with a totally wicked sense of humor. Partner came to visit and we went out and talked with said stallion. His pasture was about 2 acres, included a number of big cottonwood trees and a smallish pond and on the far side of it was a gate and then the big mare field. After our visit we walked on across his pasture..loaded with dried grasses and leaves (fall of the year) to go see the mares and foals. We were about 4 feet apart and as I turned my head to say something I spied sneaky little Arab walking up on eggshells (and not making a sound!) toward partners far shoulder. He got right there, brushed the shoulder with his nose, let loose with that HUGE alarm type snort, leaped sideways and ran off, doing the antelope spring on all fours with tail in the air and head high, looking back with this incredible gleam in his eye....all but grinning. Not funny in some ways (bad idea to let him get away with this crap) and hysterical in others (took some planning and he obviously wasn't into causing damage and he DID get a great reaction from Mr Expensive Suit and Shoes!). Only one of several of his favorite practical jokes.
    Colored Cowhorse Ranch
    www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
    Northern NV

ROFL!

My gelding will suck in a mouth full of water, hold it and wait patiently until I bend over for something, then dump it down the back of my pants. He thinks this is hilarious! I don't mind in the summer, but in the winter I do not appreciate it at all!
    Founding Member of "I Kept 'Off Topic Day!' Open"

I have a wee mini boy that has learned that goosing visitors is very interesting indeed. He's very sneaky about it, although I'm watching him the visitor isn't. He'll greet them face to face then walk casually away and then when they are not looking he'll walk around behind them and stand there an inch from their butt. Then he'll reach out slowly and touch them with his muzzle - honk! Works everytime as they jump and say, "Yeek!"

Both of the TB's I've had, had silly personalities. My old TB enjoyed removing the farriers hat gently with his teeth sometimes, then lick his head.

My current OTTB likes to reach down when I'm kneeling brushing his front legs, and nudge me with his muzzle, trying to knock me over.

They both were, and are, very loving horses.
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

Tucker, my draftx, loves to rearrange the jumps. He doesn't just gently nudge them aside as he grazes, no, he MOVES them, several feet, in different directions!
    They all enjoy scaring the crap out of everyone with regards to the barncat, who thinks she is a horse...in the morning, not only do the 3 horses greet me at the gate, but there is Hobbs, right in the middle. Hobbs likes to lay out in the middle of the field, in the middle of the horses. When people are around and watching, the horses will walk oh, so, so very close to Hobbs. I mean mere inches and she would be crushed. I have realized that they do this on purpose, just to hear us cry out her name and shudder as we think she is about to be stepped on. If they don't think we are watching, they will give her a wide berth in the field!

My old gelding took a momentary lack of attention on my part - I turned to pick up my gloves after I hadtacked him up - to run down the barn aisle and outside. I naturally chased after him. He ran around the barn, back up the aisle and stopped at the crossties as if to say 'where YOU been'??

Another TB boarder was getting his turn to grass field acclimation in the spring (only 20 minutes at that phase). I went out to get him and he naturally di not want to be caught. I chased him for a minute or two. He blasted full speed under the only tree in the paddock - a huge weeping willow - and disappeared. I was laughing so hard at his equine ingenuity that he earned an additional 10 minutes out.

I think if you have them long enough their personality does come through.

Quote Originally Posted by Crooked Horse View Post
    ROFL!

My gelding will suck in a mouth full of water, hold it and wait patiently until I bend over for something, then dump it down the back of my pants. He thinks this is hilarious! I don't mind in the summer, but in the winter I do not appreciate it at all!
    My gelding did this another horse once. He took the water in his mouth, walked a good 40-50 feet, and then dribbled the water all over the other horse's head!

Same gelding likes to remove things from the farrier's back pockets when he's working, remove the farrier's hat, lick anyone that is working on his legs or feet, and untie himself when you're not paying attention (but then just stands looking smug)!

Reminds me of a mare I had for years....sweet thing that never was naughty around people at all. BUT you could NOT tie another horse to her right side....she was fine about the horse but would spend the entire time that horse was there working at unbuckling its halter and turning it loose....to stand there and watch the ensuing chaos as one tried to round up the stray. She KNEW there wasn't a buckle she could reach on the halter of a horse tied on her left and never even messed with their halters.
    Colored Cowhorse Ranch
    www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
    Northern NV

"I think if you have them long enough their personality does come through."

Yes, this ^

Most of the retirees here come from very large barns where personality is not encouraged, understandably so.

It does not take them long to figure out that 'Character is welcomed here'

I've been nudged, goosed, licked, nuzzled, had my gloves removed from my pocket, my barrette removed from my hair, hats removed and flung. Some try to pull off my pants. One memorable gelding used to try to snap my bra . I've been pinned in a corner, and given a thorough licking.

I have to hold their heads while the Farrier is here, because they enjoy trying to give him a wedgie. He does not enjoy it quite so much.

Some are McGyvers and try to dismantle the barn, water trough, and of course remove any clothing their herdmates are wearing.

One younger horse chases his herdmates with rubber feed pans, orange cones, lead ropes, whatever he can get a hold of.

Unfortunately for me, they have figured out I have an extremely ticklish neck. OOoo, it gives me the heebies when they run their whiskers over my neck. Or even just breathe on it. EEeiiiikkk.

But I love seeing that sparkle in their eyes.

All my playful ones are geldings. The mares are more the snuggle types.
    OLD FRIENDS FARM-Equine Retirement-We LOVE Seniors!! Spoiling Retirees since 1998
    http://www.angelfire.com/oldfriendsfarm/home.html
    Charter Member of UYA!

This is seriously good stuff! Thanks for sharing -- had some really ood chuckles reading these.
    Me&MyBigGirl
    My Blog: A Work In Progress

The TB I'm riding has lots of jokes he likes to play, a few:

If I leave his stall door open and the stall guard up, so he can look around at what's going on in the aisle while I am doing other things in the vicinity, he'll take anything he can crane his neck around to reach and throw it across the aisle, as far as he can. When you turn around and ask "How did that halter/lead/blanket/brush, get all the way over there?", he's always looking the other way like he has no idea what you are talking about.

He likes to goose me when I'm picking his front feet...Mr. I'm So Stiff, I Can't Possibly Bend or Stretch When You Ask Me To, can get his head all the way down and around to the side to nip at my back pocket or belt (he never bites).

His worst trick is breaking safety cross ties. He knows they'll break, so he pretends he is spooking or terrified, pulls back, breaks them and then runs several times around the outside of the barn before coming in the opposite end and looking completely innocent, like he'd been standing there all along. I've mostly put a stop to that one by keeping a lead on him when he's on the cross ties, tossed over his neck, when I see him start snorting and rolling his eyes back in his head in mock terror, I quietly take a hold of it and catch him when he pulls his escape act...he doesn't think MY trick is very funny, the joke can NEVER be on him .

A couple of years ago my barn got in a big brown horse, plain as could be but handsome. He was a bit of a tough ride, very quirky and no one seemed to like him that much. I was riding Titus at the time and other than a couple of months when he was in a stall near Ti, I really paid him no mind.
    Fast forward about a year to last spring. I show up for my jumping lesson (usually on a lovely little mare) and was told that mare was now leased and lease rider had claimed Fridays. I was scheduled to ride Monroe, the big brown beast. He was a tricky ride, but he turned out to have the biggest and best personality I have ever seen.
    I always picked his feet in the same order, if I tried to change it, he's glare at me and lift of the "correct" foot. If I didn't get it, he'd look at the foot then back to me. He loved to pluck tissues out of the box I kept in my tack box and watch them flutter around the aisle. Nothing was safe in my tack box if I let him hang his head out of the stall. I found brushes everyplace. He was also the kind that loved to give a big smooch after taking a mouthful of water. He'd pout if he wasn't allowed to drink from the hose during a bath. After EVERY ride he'd turn and nip at my butt as soon as I dismounted. He would amuse himself by flapping his lower lip and nodding his head in time. He would beg for treats and could stretch his long neck (it seemed) about 6 feet down the aisle when he heard a peppermint wrapper.
    In spite of being a tough ride he was an angel in the barn. My instructor was trying to find the source of a slight lameness one night and sat underneath him in his stall to feel his legs and feet. He just stood there looking down at her. The funy thing was that until I started riding/leasing him, no one else knew about his great personality.

I miss my clever giant pony.

Titus was funny too. When his Mom was away and I was babysitting, he was always happy with that for about 3 days. By day 4, I'd come around the corner to his stall and he'd look up and then get a look of disappointment on his face, like he was worried that his Mom had sold him to me. When I groomed him in his stall if he had no hay to munch on he'd pay very close attention to me. He'd watch me walkout to switch brushes and always wanted to sniff each one.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

My TB gelding Bird has goosed various parts of my anatomy, most notably snapping the cup of my bra. He's also a bit of a ham and likes to entertain the barn. Recently, the therapeutic riding students were there for a lesson and one was riding my old mare. She had left the mare's halter hanging on the end of the crosstie. When they came back from the lesson, Bird had unhooked the halter from the crosstie and was swinging it back and forth.

He also can be a prankster under saddle. One memorable lesson, he insisted on cranking his head way up and to the side for a good ten minutes. I was in stitches riding him. According to my trainer, he had that gleam in his eye indicating he was enjoying playing a joke with me and the trainer, too.

He likes to help the BO's husband when they're doing things in the pasture by holding his tools. He's picked up the fly spray, holding it by the handle, and flipped open the box of the grooming kit.

Apparently, his sire was a prankster, too.

ah yes, gotta love a horse with a sense of humor

Burbank aka the old man loves to act sweet and innocent and entice young children to come up and pet his head, then he will oh so sublety tuck his chin in and then head butt the unsuspecting child and send them flying 3 feet away

he also and one barn use to escape the electric fencing and go to the designated grazing area and graze while I did chores, when it was just me at the barn I would let him but it concerned some of the boarders and they would yell out loose horse, and put him up and he would just mosey out again, he did get placed in a more secure paddock

he also use to escape his pasture and a different barn and go and eat in the peanut field

at a previous barn he would escape his stall in the morning and sneak up behind the help

Warrior likes to nuzzle my back or cell phone case while I pick his feet, he also likes to turn and sniff at his brushes or tack and sometimes nibble lightly at the brushes

he is also very good and the "who me" look

My OTTB likes to play in the washstall. I start to hose. He starts to paw. Not naughty but with a purpose. So, i give him a drink from the horse. He splashes the water but doesn't drink it. I go back to hosing his body. He paws, I again give him the hose to drink out of. He is able to turn his face so fast that the hose squishes against the soft part of his nose and sprays water ALL OVER ME! The first time he did it, I thought it was an accident. It wasn't! He does it every single time I give him a bath. It's hysterical. It's like he's saying, "hey mommy, if I have to have a bath, then YOU have to have one too!"

LOVE MY TB

So, all but one of these funny horses is a male and many of them seem to be TBs. Are boys funnier than girls? And are TBs the silliest of all?

Myfirst OTTB gelding Boo has SO many quirks -and we love them all!
    *years ago he was standing with his head down, relaxed, while I was talking with a friend of mine, who is quite slender. Shoved her in the crotch, and pretty much picked her off the ground.
    *his stall door is directly beside my youngest OTTB's door - he knows right down to the last millimeter how to stand to antagonize Heart but not get bitten
    *he also loves his blacksmith - he will try to grip his apron belt in his teeth, or breathe gently down the back of his neck while Rob is shoeing
    *he is an incredible houdini - he can limbo (even with a full feed tub in his stall) under his stall guard and be out and gone, in complete silence. One morning a fellow boarder fed him breakfast and walked the 100 feet to the main barn from my smaller barn - I hadn't warned him about the stall guard. He turned around and came face to face with Boo, screamed in surprise - and Boo started longeing himself around him in fun Boo also loves to walk with his nose against your back in the paddock and give you a gentle nudge if you're walking too slowly
    *our favourite is tacking up. The moment you slip off his halter to bridle him, he welds his nose to the ground and you have to physically lift up his head to bridle him.
    Sillybuggers!
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

The other day the QH I'm leasing showed me that he knows how to put his hoof pick away in his own brush box... don't know if he's always known how to do that, but it cracked me up! After picking his feet he was suddenly very interested in the hoof pick, then took it out of my hand and dropped it in his brush box on the other side. When I took it out again he looked at me like, "Hey, I already put that away, what are you doing?" He took it again and put it away.
    If the pony spits venom in your face or produces a loud roar, it is probably not a pony. Find another. -The Oatmeal

There's a paint at my barn that gets out sometimes. Then he works his teeth on all the stall latches and gets them all open so my BO finds all the horses in a big pile in her yard.
    ==================
    Somehow my inner ten year old seems to have stolen my chequebook!

http://reriderandpony.blogspot.com/