The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default when you've got one horse in a slant-load trailer...

...where do you put the horse?

(we're talking bumper-pull, here.)

In towing my straight-load I always adhered to the "one horse on the driver's side" rule. However, I just got my new(used) slant-load (yay!) and I'm wondering, where does one horse go? Front or back slot, or does it not matter?

I always put them in the front slot and fold the other dividers flat out of the way....I want the wt up front rather than in the back behind the axles.
    Colored Cowhorse Ranch
    www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
    Northern NV

Quote Originally Posted by coloredcowhorse View Post
    I always put them in the front slot and fold the other dividers flat out of the way....I want the wt up front rather than in the back behind the axles.
    Be careful with folding the dividers back out of the way.

I always did that with my Sundowner and about two years ago they pulled the attachment fittings out of the tubing to which they were welded.

Of course, my trailer is 15 or so years old and has about 240,000 or so miles on it.

Also when the dividers are in place and properly latched, they give extra strength to the trailer in the event of an accident.

My wife has given up riding because of a leg injury and I am hauling only one horse at present so I have removed all dividers but one so my horse has a box stall and rides loose.

I realize not everyone can remove the dividers, but do be careful not to leave them unlatched except when necessary as they bounce and are hard on the hinge point.

Of course manufacture makes and models will vary in the thickness of the tubing to which the hinge point is welded.

I like my trailer and have had excellent service from it, but I was disappointed to see how thin the wall is on the tubing that supports the dividers.

Your model may vary.

CSSJR

Definitely in the front slot.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

I would put them in the front slot. However, when I trailer one horse, which is the norm for me, I take the divider out and the horse rides loose. They seem to really love it.
    "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

I have a heavy 3 horse GN. The front slot is the feed storage. I fold the back divider back and the horse gets 1 3/4 stalls in the back. He is standing slightly ahead or on the axles. I did the same in my old Sundowner that had 125,000 miles on it.

For a BP I would say front 2 slots minimum to keep the weight on the hitch/rear truck axle.

My 3H seems to ride/pull nicest with a single horse in the middle stall if I'm only taking the one. But if I had one horse in a two horse, I'd put in the front for sure, def not the back.

Depends on the the trailer - I put a single horse in the stall that is over the axels.

We have a 3 horse slant load bumper pull trailer.
    I'm going to a show this Friday and it is about an hour drive on busy highways. Is it safest to put my gelding in the middle or front? Usually he is in the front, but I have noticed that some horses get more nervous in front--and he is definitely a nervous guy in the trailer.

Is it safe to pull him for an hour in the middle with him pawing and moving around? Or is it better to have him in front?
    What would you guys do?
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

Unless I have to put horses in stalls because I have a full trailer, mine always ride loose. I have a 4 horse BP slant load and I keep it set up with just the center divider in there so I can carry 2 horses in box stalls. But, when I am only carrying one horse, I fold back the center divider and let the horse choose where to stand.

99% of the time they stand facing backwards, looking out the rear window, which is fine, because that puts them over the trailer axel. And they are happy campers.

Especially for nervous horses -- Let them ride free and the nerves will go away.
    I found the perfect distance but they put the jump in the wrong place.

I've always heard to keep the weight over the axles/tires. I do the same as RAyers - I have a three-horse BP (1995 Sundowner Horizon) and use the front stall for shavings/hay/tack box and put my gelding in the middle slot but swing out the back divider so he has the back part of the third slot also. He's pretty big with a long neck and is kind of crammed into the middle slot when the divider is shut so if he's traveling alone I give him the extra space. Never felt like the trailer was weighted unevenly.
    It's not about the color of the ribbon but the quality of the ride. Having said that, I'd like the blue one please!

Maybe this is a dumb question but I have a two horse slant and one horse. He's a nervous rider--loads just fine but always covered in sweat after being trailered somewhere.

I considered just taking out the divider and giving him a "box stall" but I thought maybe it was more comfortable for him to have the wall on one side and the divider on the other side to give him something to balance/lean on.

Won't having a large space mean he will scramble around more? Or do horses really seem more comfortable with a large space to move around?

He's very calm and level headed so I'm not too worried that he'll behave like a maniac.

Thoughts/experience?

Personally, I think they like having more space to spread their legs out - makes it easier to brace themselves.
    It's not about the color of the ribbon but the quality of the ride. Having said that, I'd like the blue one please!

When I am hauling one horse in my two horse GN slant, if the weather is hot, the horse goes in the second/rear slant because there is better air flow. Otherwise, I put them in the first slant for solo hauls.

I have a 3 (well, 4 really, but the front tack area got custom made extra big for the guy we bought it from) horse gooseneck. My Arab is FAR happier when he gets to ride alone or just with my friend's Arab loose in the trailer. When my husband's horses go, everybody gets put in the dividers (my gelding and one of his fight otherwise).

If its just my Arab, he rides facing backwards and there is noticeably less bouncing around than if I shut him in the front stall. If its both Arabs loose, they usually stand on a slant in the middle facing opposite directions.

when you've got one horse in a slant-load trailer...daughter's solution. Buy another horse

Quote Originally Posted by Bells View Post
    Depends on the the trailer - I put a single horse in the stall that is over the axels.
    This is what I do. The front slot is actually in front of the axles so it puts more weight on the bumper. I've trailered one horse in the front before (when heading over to pick up another one somewhere) and haven't really noticed a difference in how it pulled though. The middle spot gives enough walk-in room and plenty of back-out or turnaround room.

THIS is my trailer. I took all the dividers out, clip the horse to a 36" trailer tie in the front slot, with a big fat hay holder, and clip a bucket of water 1/2 full next to it.
    My horse hops off after 5-6 hour trailer rides fresh and limber. He's ready to go to work once he's settled into his surroundings.

(I love my trailer)
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Quote Originally Posted by clanter View Post
    when you've got one horse in a slant-load trailer...daughter's solution. Buy another horse

Love this!