The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Spinoff: dressage riders not faring well in the heat...

Not to start a fight here, but I have come to notice that the dressage community seems a bit more sensitive to heat than the H/J community- at least from the prospective of seeing what they wear at shows and hearing many of the complaints about how hot helmets are.

Just this last weekend I was showing at a recognized dressage show (indoors) where the outside temps ranged from 80 to mid 90s during the days. People were already asking to waive coats at 8:30 in the am, before it was even remotely hot. I have also noticed that almost all of the show shirts that people wear in dressage under their coats are short sleeved, something very, very rarely seen in H/J land (everyone wears long sleeves under their coats). I also have noticed that there seem to be more technical fabrics and cooling devices (like freezable stock ties) marketed towards dressage riders vs. H/J riders.

So what is the reason for this? The only thing I could really think of is that there are typically more adult riders (40+ years old) in dressage rather than H/J. Or is it that dressage riders are more "practical" and less into the "fashion" side of showing?

I guess I was just surprised to see people opting not to wear coats at a big show. I totally expect that at a schooling show (regardless of H/J or dressage) but didn't think that would happen at a recognized show held indoors. Thoughts?
    Last edited by hntrjmprpro45; Jun. 23, 2011 at 04:05 PM.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Oh, quit trying to stir up more poo today, would ya?

(One comment though, just YOU try and wear a BLACK coat in the blister heat, in unrelenting sun and then come and talk to us. Seriously, hunters coats are SO much better with the color, etc. Makes a huge difference.)

Anyway, no more feeding trolls for me. I'm done.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
    Oh, quit trying to stir up more poo today, would ya?
    I really was not trying to be snarky... hence why I threw out my own reasonable ideas as to why there was a difference but seeing as I am new to the dressage community, I was just wondering what others thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
    (One comment though, just YOU try and wear a BLACK coat in the blister heat, in unrelenting sun and then come and talk to us. Seriously, hunters coats are SO much better with the color, etc. Makes a huge difference.)

Anyway, no more feeding trolls for me. I'm done.
    I have never felt any difference between a black coat and a navy coat. Are dressage coats heavier? Serious question.

This is the silliest post I've seen on COTH in quite a while. How about just riding at the shows and not worrying about what everyone else is doing? Yeesh. If it's hot and coats are waived, mine is coming off. It's black and it makes me very uncomfortable in the blazing sun, end of story.

Seriously, how many show H/J in a white or light tan khaki coat? And helmets are helmets, unless you're doing PSG or above, you're wearing one....

OP, I do not get the impression that you are trolling, no more than someone asking if there's more money in hunters than dressage. Maybe retailers just see the dressage market as more style-conscious and/or mature and thus more likely to buy tech fabrics and et cetera.
    "Go on, Bill — this is no place for a pony."

Quote Originally Posted by dwblover View Post
    This is the silliest post I've seen on COTH in quite a while. How about just riding at the shows and not worrying about what everyone else is doing? Yeesh. If it's hot and coats are waived, mine is coming off. It's black and it makes me very uncomfortable in the blazing sun, end of story.
    Thanks, guys.

Why did I ask? Because it was an honest question after noticing a big difference in trends of materials and practices at shows. I also had a client ask me and I thought I would get everyone else's say in it.

A dressage test is usually longer than the average hunter round
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by hntrjmprpro45 View Post
    I have never felt any difference between a black coat and a navy coat. Are dressage coats heavier? Serious question.
    Yes, my dressage coat is heavier/hotter than the hunter jacket I used (instead) for hot summer days. And the tails of dressage shadbellies are lined with leather so they hang, which makes them much heavier than those worn in hunter classics.

I think there's a basic difference in expectations between dressage riders (either they love the "uniform" or hate it) and hunters (no clue about jumpers), who are willing to bring 4 coats and 6 shirts to a weekend show. If you sweat in the first set, just move on ... most dressage riders I know only have one coat and once it's sweat-soaked have to put it back on, if coats aren't waived.

Hunters and jumpers spend most of the warmup and the competition at a nice canter or hand-gallop ... if there's a breeze you'll catch it. Dressage, on the other hand, runs the gamut. And honestly? There never seems to be a breeze until it's time to do a halt and RB by the plastic bag lying benignly in the grass
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

Yes, they wave coats because most of us Dressage riders are 40+ adult riders. Truth is we are all going through menopause and having heat flashes.

Are you kidding me, this has to be the silliest thing I have ever heard. Jumper riders routinely show in short sleeve polo shirts with no jacket. However, just like dressage riders, in the big Prix classes, even if it is hot they wear jackets. At the lower levels polo or short sleeves are fine.

The question is what is up with the hunter riders always wearing jackets. When there is a heat index of 107 outside....wearing a jacket is just stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by AllWeatherGal View Post
    Hunters and jumpers spend most of the warmup and the competition at a nice canter or hand-gallop ... if there's a breeze you'll catch it. Dressage, on the other hand, runs the gamut.
    That's what I was thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by HuntrJumpr
    No matter what level of showing you're doing, you are required to have pants on.

Quote Originally Posted by AllWeatherGal View Post
    Yes, my dressage coat is heavier/hotter than the hunter jacket I used (instead) for hot summer days. And the tails of dressage shadbellies are lined with leather so they hang, which makes them much heavier than those worn in hunter classics.

I think there's a basic difference in expectations between dressage riders (either they love the "uniform" or hate it) and hunters (no clue about jumpers), who are willing to bring 4 coats and 6 shirts to a weekend show. If you sweat in the first set, just move on ... most dressage riders I know only have one coat and once it's sweat-soaked have to put it back on, if coats aren't waived.

Hunters and jumpers spend most of the warmup and the competition at a nice canter or hand-gallop ... if there's a breeze you'll catch it. Dressage, on the other hand, runs the gamut. And honestly? There never seems to be a breeze until it's time to do a halt and RB by the plastic bag lying benignly in the grass
    Thank you!! That makes perfect sense about the dressage coats having a heavier lining and would therefore be hotter. And your right about dressage riders spending more time at the trot than the canter (didn't really think about that until you said it).

Well, I am an eventer and I can tell you that I sweat FAR more in my dressage lessons than I do in my jumping lessons.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

I have 2 dressage coats-one is Euro Star, the other Pikeur and have 3 coats for H/J, and the H/J coats are much thinner, and more comfortable! My favorite dressage coat is a navy Pikeur, and my only thought is it must be much cooler over there! I would love a coat that looked like that one in a thinner material! I prefer to show in long sleeves as it keeps the sun off my arms, but again my dressage shirts are heavier weight than my H/J ones. I have taken to wearing the H/J ones with a pretty tie over it, but if they waive coats I prefer the way the dressage ones look (white cuffs w/ white stock pastel shirt). The helmet thing isn't nearly as brutal as the heavy weight coat! I am old school and am prone to wearing a coat unless it is ridiculously hot (95+).

AllWeatherGal is right.

I personally, being used to the cold and freezing weather in Holland think it is sometimes close to unbearable at a show, in the arena, with the sun shining directly down on it. ( 100+ degrees Fahrenheit) but I still wear my coat, even when they are waived! ( i've never once showed without my jacket)

I think : just suck it up and ride!

Quote Originally Posted by cranky View Post
    Well, I am an eventer and I can tell you that I sweat FAR more in my dressage lessons than I do in my jumping lessons.
    I was just thinking that I bet the horses do, too.

I mean, think about the sweat on a horse after a GP dressage test and the sweat on a horse after an equivalent jumper round (or more ... if a jumper round is around 2 minutes and a GP test is what ... I was thinking 12-15 minutes, but all the youtube videos seem to be 7 minutes!).
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

hntrjmprpro45, have you ever ridden dressage 2nd level or above? (I am not be snarky, serious question.)

I have ridden hunters and jumped up to 4', shown only to 3' and I can tell you, dressage is much harder work (at least for me it is) than hunters were, hands down. I ride 5-6 days a week, it is not like I am out of shape.
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
    *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
    My Facebook

I am not 40 years old, my body just has a really hard time thermoregulating itself ! Hence, if I am not properly hydrated/cooling myself down after a lesson, I will pass out.
    And this is the story of your red right ankle.

Dressage is a lot like yoga or pilates in the way it works the body. You sweat in places you were really hoping you didn't have glands. Moreover, it's difficult to maintain the kind of focus and relaxation you need for good dressage when you're physically uncomfortable.
    I suspect the age factor has something to do with it, too. The reality is that an uncomfortable 40 y.o. woman is far more prone to communicate her discomfort to the show staff than a young rider who's striving to please at all costs.
    "Rock n' roll's not through, yeah, I'm sewing wings on this thing." --Destroyer
    http://dressagescriblog.wordpress.com/

Maybe dressage riders are more willing to sacrifice fashion for the sake of riding as well as they possibly can.

Of all the differences one could find between dressage competitions and hunters, and this is what we're focusing on? Okaaay.