The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default I Got Bitten by a Bomber...

Now I sympathize with the horses who lose their ever-loving minds when one of those B-52s lands on them.

I got bitten yesterday morning while out riding through the neighborhood. It started out just a little itchy and swollen, NBD, so I thought... By this morning it was the size of my palm:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-A...0620110724.jpg

Six hours of working in the humidity with jeans on, it's even worse. It's bigger than the welt my old man got when one bit him last spring, and he is notoriously thin-skinned:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-K...0/100_2078.JPG

Nothing I've tried on it has had any effect whatsoever. I'm heading to the doctor in a bit. I hate going to the doctor, so you know it's bad!

Anyone else ever get this kind of reaction? I managed to go 18 years without getting bitten by a horsefly, then got a bite from a little one just last week, and now this on the other leg. Nasty nasty things!
    Member of the Standardbreds with Saddles Clique!
    They're not just for racing!
    nowthatsatrot.blogspot.com

I always get infections from horsefly bites - nasty big weeping volcanos
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

I would give it a few days before heading to the doc. I would just ice it and take some Benadryl. It's always worked for me, even with those huge, nasty welts.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

I got bit by one too. Years ago. In the palm of my hand, right under the fingers.
    Holy crap! Yep, it hurts like a %#%#, doesn't it?
    My hand looked like a balloon, took days for it to go down. I probably should have gone to the doctor's office for that one.

But I did learn a couple of good lessons from it:
    *Horses are sooooo not over-reacting when they take off bucking and squealing if those things show up.
    *Slap them. Do NOT grab them.

(I also wrenched my shoulder in that escapade and almost divorced. Okay, almost widowed. Just another day of me being totally idiotic )
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    *Slap them. Do NOT grab them.
    Then dance up and down on them until they're squished, because smacking them just dazes them for a few seconds!

I've been bitten. Hurts like the devil. I'm also not proud when I see one coming after me, as I'll run past the horses on purpose in the hopes that it'll think they smell better than I do!

Then of course, I do the open handed smack and stomp once they zone in on a horse.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

It's amazing to me how a horse will stand stock still and not flinch when I pop a horse fly on them and then stomp it in the ground. It's like they KNOW. Any other time they would be flinching if I reach to scratch my ear fast or something, LOL!
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

Quote Originally Posted by Chardavej View Post
    It's amazing to me how a horse will stand stock still and not flinch when I pop a horse fly on them and then stomp it in the ground. It's like they KNOW. Any other time they would be flinching if I reach to scratch my ear fast or something, LOL!
    No kidding! I was riding a green bean a couple of days ago and one landed on his neck right next to the rein, so I put a buckle in the rein and popped it. I thought for sure there would be consequences, but hey, I'm on the warpath. That horse didn't flinch, just sighed and kept on packing.
    "Rock n' roll's not through, yeah, I'm sewing wings on this thing." --Destroyer
    http://dressagescriblog.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Chardavej View Post
    Yeah, my horses are like that. Even the delicate flowers don't mind, if it means one less horsefly in the world.

That is one nasty bite. Hope it's better soon!
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

I HATE horseflies! They are always attracted to dark colors. I hated when they would bomb us when we would go swimming as kids. I try to avoid them as much as possible as I will swell wherever I am stung, and it turns disgusting.
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

Oh my lord, I've never been bitten by one of those! I can only imagine!

Hope it feels better soon. Looks very painful.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Benadryl Spray is also very helpful for insect bites and stings. Buy it, the relief is worth the $$!
    --o0o--

Damn that's one hell of a welt! I would much rather get whipped in the face with a tail than bit by a horsefly.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

P.S. OP - try some Benadryl. It's what I take when I get stung by a yellow jacket or horsefly. If I get stung on my, let's say, forearm, my entire forearm will redden and swell.
    If wishes were horses then beggars would ride...
    DLA: Draft Lovers Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    As in, the majikal butterfly-fahting gypsy vanners.

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Yeah, my horses are like that. Even the delicate flowers don't mind, if it means one less horsefly in the world.
    If I'm out in the pasture and one of the herd gets a bomber on his back, he'll run up to me with this panicked "Git it! GIT IT! GIT IT GIT IT GIT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" look on his face. I swat then stomp it and all is well.

OP, that's a heck of a bite.

Galopin and Moo used to actually holler at the house if one showed up to chase them. They'd canter in circles bucking and whinnying to get my attention. I;d run down to the paddock and both would *zoom* up to me and spin around until I was able to slap it to the ground. (and yup, land on it with both feet and a maniacal laugh!) I could be running around swatting everywhere and neither would be bothered.

But Pete and Sonny...they're, ummmm, speshul. Sonny just looks shocked and then squeals and takes off like a bat outta Hades. Pete runs in circles and then does the stop, flop and roll thing.

I HATE those flies! I ended up in the ER because one nailed galopin in the arse when I was walking past her with an armload of hay in the paddock. She spun and bolted....right into my back. I flew forward, hit the ground and slid and she ran/jumped over me. Took me a good 10 minutes to get off the ground again. (by that time both horses were happily eating the hay that flew out of my arms...Lassie they ain't) Ended up getting the brain bucket scanned, hit it on the ground. Also had a hematoma like Mt Everest on my hip/thigh. The ER folks were making me repeat the cause of injury over and over. "Really? You got run over by a horse? You didn't fall off of one?"
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Misty, I smacked one off JJ's right back leg the other day and he jumped, spun, and gave me a, 'WTF did you hit me for?!' look.

Good thing he's purty, 'cause he ain't gots the smarts real good!

Casper and Mack will run to me so I can whallop the B52s off them, but JJ will gallop around trying to outrun them. I keep telling him all he has to do is run past the Arabs, and the fly will go after one of them.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

I ride with a crop and smack the hell out of them and then wonder why my horse jumped 10 feet in the air I think he prefers getting bit to me attacking them!

Yup, all it takes is one bite to realize why the ponies lose their minds! I've only been bitten twice in my life-but one of the bites actually left a scar.

Just last week there was one that was literally chasing us around the arena while we were trying to ride. It was smart enough to try to land on the horse in a spot I couldn't reach. I got it eventually though hehehe...

Ouch! OMG I never knew they bit that bad!

Well, I give my boy tons of credit then, he just waits for me to smack it off of him. Nasty buggers!

I ride with a flyswatter. Seriously.