The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help....losing mane hair only underneath

Has anyone seen a horse lose its mane hair on only the underside? Kiger with a beautiful thick mane that started thinning on the underside a couple years ago. First thought it was choked from a hi-neck blanket, then last year she got fat and had a cresty neck but neither of those apply this year and it seems to be getting worse.
    Was about a 6" strip and now over half her neck length. The upper area near the poll is still thick on both sides. It is not from rubbing or fences because it is only the underside and its not broken hairs....they are completely gone. All you see is the dark skin....no flaking, bugs or sores

She still has a thick neck....residual from last years weight gain(lost the weight but not the neck). Not sure if it has to do with the fat deposits? Did something destroy the hair follicle? I don't see any signs of new hairs coming in....will it ever come back?

Vet appointment is coming up but hoping to hear that it isn't one of those "never seen it before" situations. Google proved fruitless although I saw someone ask about it on a Vet site....but no reply. She is wormed regularly.... Bathed only couple times a year and a weekly light spray of Canters M&T....otherwise I just groom.

Any ideas? Thank you

Hi! I also have 2 kiger mares. My oldest mare had gotten way too fat before I got her and now has a cresty neck and there are parts of her mane in one area that do not grow hair anymore. She still has mane there and that does grow, but its not as thick as other area's, so its from the cresty neck. Ive not been able to get her neck to go away, altho with a very strict diet and riding, it did go way down but never went away. Some others had suggest electro therapy in that area - like what they do to stallions who have cresty necks..but have never tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by Georgiatrails View Post
    Hi! I also have 2 kiger mares. My oldest mare had gotten way too fat before I got her and now has a cresty neck and there are parts of her mane in one area that do not grow hair anymore. She still has mane there and that does grow, but its not as thick as other area's, so its from the cresty neck. Ive not been able to get her neck to go away, altho with a very strict diet and riding, it did go way down but never went away. Some others had suggest electro therapy in that area - like what they do to stallions who have cresty necks..but have never tried it.
    Thank you Georgia....I had a feeling that may be the cause. Not happy to hear that it doesn't grow back and super curious as to why. I will have to ask the vet if he knows. I also feel your pain about not being able to get rid of the crestiness even with weight loss. I think I read on a Kiger Board that mustang mares tend to be a little cresty naturally so any weight gain shows up fast. My other mare is normal plus weight and has a slight crest and beautiful long thick mane. But my younger one seems to always struggle with her weight. I would wonder if the electro therapy may help the fat deposits but couldn't it destroy the remaining follicles? I will keep you posted if I learn anymore about it and thank you again for your response.

From what I was told on electrode therapy, its like accupuncture and they insert the needles in the cresty part of the neck and that's what is treated, not the mane follicles itself, so it shouldnt affect the mane, just gets rid of the fat. I was not able to do it so can't really say tho. I've heard remission (a supplement), I think I spelt it right or maybe emission, helps also but again, have not tried it. Its fairly inexpensive also, can get it at most stores. I have a 3year old mare that luckily I raised and hadn't got the cresty neck, altho I have to keep both on a strict diet with mostly a lot of dry lot hours, especially right now with summer here.

Hope this helps some. I think I've just accepted it in my mare, it used to drive me crazy but Ive had her for almost 5 years now and love her to pieces no matter what!!

This is her this year...my soul mate!
    http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...s/lakota10.jpg

She is beautiful and could be my mares twin
    Further investigation has pointed out that Spanish Mustangs are at higher risk of IR due to domestic diets. That being said....her weight gain last Summer (literally 100lbs in less than 2 weeks) probably put her at risk of IR. Thankfully I was pro-active and now feed them accordingly just to be safe but I sure would like to see a little less fullness in the neck and the mane grow back.
    I have her on magox and chromium (main ingredients in Remission) and I do believe they are maintaining her but I don't like supplements that have too many things in them....it doesn't let you figure out what really works. Someone mentioned ChasteTree Berry and Cinnamon, but I think I will wait for the vet visit before trying something else.
    I hear you about the soul mate....I bought my problem child as a baby and she is now 8 and my other one was wild caught at 4 and she is 14. Both are my best buds and they take good care of me. Sorry I can't post pictures but if you send me your email I will email you some. My older one can be seen on YouTube under Bella Rose Kiger in Dressage....my friend showed her for me and she took first place at every show. My younger one thinks dressage is for sissys'
    Thank you again and I will keep you posted.

Oh wow! I have seen your mare Bella Rose in that video, what a great video and great mare..! Great job by your friend...! Sounds like you've got 2 great kiger's!!

I had my older mare's thyroid tested when I first got her and it was ok. I've never heard of a kiger foundering but they sure do get fat real quick. My 3 year old was at the trainer's a few months ago and she didnt adjust to that change at all - she would only eat her feed in am/pm and barely pick at some alfalfa for a whole month and she was in perfect weight so that just goes to show you how little they need to stay healthy. She's back at home now and a pig again...!

This was a pic of her the 1st month she was there....
    http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...bellachads.jpg

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...lla42611-1.jpg

Right now mine are kept up during the day all day on a lot and put out at night, that does help maintain some.

Your mares are lovely!

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra Dun View Post
    Your mares are lovely!
    Thank you....they are beautiful animals and wonderful dispositions. Deep connections

Awe Georgia....they're beautiful Nice dapples too!!
    Yeah...they get fat pretty quick. Bella is pretty tall for a Kiger...almost 15.2 and about 1000 pounds but Claire is only 14.3 without a recent trim and about 875 She would be fine at 850 but starts looking a bit scrawny. If you have ever seen Kiger Cougar at the Kentucky Horse Park....Claire could be his sister....same build except Claire has a longer fore-lock and tail.

Where did you get your Kigers? I live in Oregon and Bella (wild) came out of the Steen mountain area when she was 4...best horse I have ever met. Lots of pride and passion and a heart of gold. However my 8 yr old Claire was born in captivity....she is an absolute goof ball who doesn't give a care except when you need her most

Again...beautiful horses and sending them big scratches.

MsSteno: I had a mare that I suspect had Kiger in her or was Kiger. She had all the classic zebra dun markings, was small, and was an air fern...cresty neck and all. And she was tough. A wonderful horse, once I had her trust, there wasn't anything she would not do for me. I loved her, and our partnership was solid. Sadly, I lost her going on 4 years ago; she was well into her 20s as far as I can guess. Adore your mare, hug her cresty neck!

Zebra Dun - you are correct, once you get there trust, they will climb mountains for you! The bond between horse and owner is very special. Ive seen that kiger's make you prove yourself to them first, then they are putty in your hand and they are very herd (family) oriented, and treat you as one of there family members once you're bonded with them. The most time ive ever spend without see'ing them was almost 2 weeks and when I did go out finally, both of my girls were all over me, I could tell they missed me and wanted to know where I had been

There is a kiger adoption this year, Oct 7th and 8th for those interested. They only round them up every 3 years...so this is going to be an exciting year!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra Dun View Post
    MsSteno: I had a mare that I suspect had Kiger in her or was Kiger. She had all the classic zebra dun markings, was small, and was an air fern...cresty neck and all. And she was tough. A wonderful horse, once I had her trust, there wasn't anything she would not do for me. I loved her, and our partnership was solid. Sadly, I lost her going on 4 years ago; she was well into her 20s as far as I can guess. Adore your mare, hug her cresty neck!
    Zebra....I agree. Life is too short and I am lucky to have them in mine. I could share some seriously heartfelt stories about some of the experiences we have had but a forum isn't the right place. Both of mine are great horses with a huge hearts. My younger one just happens to also have a wee bit of a crest and thinning mane
    Sorry about your loss but the memories live on forever.
    Thanks for sharing.