The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thought I'd start a new thread for those who don't want to slog through 30 pages.

I can't believe that at the regionals natalies hair was falling out of the back of her helmet.
    www.millcreekfarm.net
    **RIP Kickstart aka Char 12/2/2009**

I posted on the other thread, but I cried my eyes out. I felt so bad for Maggie's mom. I hope everything worked out for her. I was also a huge Lindsay fan, and now I feel like the wind was taken out of my sails. Well maybe she'll get in anyway, they hinted towards that for next week's episode.

I understand that for these kids the equitation is big deal, but I don't understand the tears at not making it, especially since both Chelsea and Lindsay were 15 and therefore have at least 2 years left.

I also found it ironic that the "poor farm girl" who can't afford to go to as many horse shows as the others was shown getting into a Mustang that would have had to have been very very new at the time of the filming.

Well they cried for exactly that reason - they are only fifteen, a highly emotional age for a teenage girl. It's their first time at regionals so they had a lot of high hopes. The older girls are a little more mature and have been to the regionals already.

It's amazing how much two years makes a difference in the maturity level. It's just a learning process they have to go through.

LOL its a mustang....not a ferrari!!!
    www.millcreekfarm.net
    **RIP Kickstart aka Char 12/2/2009**

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Does anyone know how Mrs. McAlary is doing? What a brave woman, dragging herself out of bed to go horse-show with her daughter. She had to be in a lot of pain.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

You also have to consider the money that she is being compared to. Many of the families and riders showcased in this series - despite money (thankfully) not being the focus - have no financial worries and can show at every single major show throughout the year without even considering the figure those entry fees, training fees, stall fees, etc all add up to. For others in this series, the money may be a little tighter, but horses are, for them, an investment and a business. As for the show itself, I really enjoy watching it. The riders are extremely good and watching their quiet rides gives a good example of what we, as riders, strive towards. It also gives us a chance to try our eye out and lets us try to find those small mistakes that make such a difference.

I thought the show was really well done this week. I enjoyed watching the Heritage riders prep for regionals and liked that we got to see quite a bit of the courses.

And CJ, are you serious with this?
    I understand that for these kids the equitation is big deal, but I don't understand the tears at not making it, especially since both Chelsea and Lindsay were 15 and therefore have at least 2 years left.
    They're teenage girls who have been working their butts off all year to try to qualify. You wouldn't have cried if after all the prep and practice you didn't make it by four spots? I sure would have. Not now as an adult, but certainly as a kid.

I wasn't able to show the big eq for four or five years like some of these kids. I had two years, and about ten different horses because I couldn't afford to buy one. I liked Lindsey, too (and i really liked her horse - reminds me of some i used to have)

Something tells me that the Mustang costs a mortgage payment for the Park Ave apartments of the 2 who live there, Brianne and ???
    Lindsay is portrayed as "poor" because its a relative term. I assume that her family is less well off than some of the others. She has a nice big eq horse and I'm sure her showing expenses are high. Her family must be getting the $$$ someplace.
    As for the tears, I can't blame her. She's worked hard all season to make the cut and didn't. She's 15!!!! She's young and emotional and heartbroken that her efforts didn't pan out. Sure she has 2 more seasons but as this show has demonstrated, ALOT can happen. She's not backed by 4 more big eq horses and if LV went "wrong" she could be out of luck. Anyhow, at her age I rather she spend tears on this than some dopey guy who never called back. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c.../icon_wink.gif

I was SO sad about Maggie's mom. It was heartbreaking to see. I hope she's OK. I admit I know nothing about any of these people other that what I've seen on the show
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

Agreed with Horseless Wonder. Any show is a big deal, and you want to do your best. It's not easy to spend so much time, to ride your best, and to have that go unrecognized. It's life, but it still isn't something you want to accept. You also have to consider that many people are more emotional that others. I know people who will look like they'll cry if a cat kills a mouse, and other's who don't even cry if they're relative dies. It depends on the person.

Also, Lindsay is 17, not fifteen.

Originally posted by Serah:
    LOL its a mustang....not a ferrari!!!
    Do you understand that the cost of that car is more than some families in this country make in a year? You seem to have missed my point.

I thought it was really good today. Despite the great EQ out there, I am a Nikko fan. I think he has what it takes and he made the right decision about riding Rocket. I personally would have picked 007 and I thought it was very considerate of him to pick the horse that would most likely present more of a challenge, in order to help the family business.

I can totally sympathize with what Lindsay went through. Teenage years aren't easy by any means, and I can't possibly imagine how much pressure there was, even if she was the long-shot (that fact may have put pressure on her as well). I am 15 and I can't imagine competing in that kind of competition, so I am in awe of those who can even make it that far.

The tears come with extreme stress, I have cried before I competed just letting out excess stress because I knew that one show could change everything. No it wasn't as big as the maclay but trying to be your best ALL the time is extremely emotional. I don't blame them for shedding a few. I'm sure a few hopeful viewers did as well.

Originally posted by CuriosoJorge:

I also found it ironic that the "poor farm girl" who can't afford to go to as many horse shows as the others was shown getting into a Mustang that would have had to have been very very new at the time of the filming.
    If you watched the show, you would have heard Lindsay say that she was FLYING down to regionals. So most likely the mustang was a rental car. Generally people don't drive their cars AND fly at the same time. And if she was getting into her NEW mustang WHO CARES!!!! Man you people are tough.

Originally posted by CuriosoJorge:

Well, as someone else mentioned, I think "poor" is a relative term. I don't actually think she was branded as poor either--just not as, *ahem*, well off as the Park Avenue girls with multiple horses for whom money is no object.

I didn't get to see it (TiVo is saving it all for me when I'm home for spring break) but now I'm excited and dissapointed at the same time. I really liked Lindsey too...maybe she'll pull through somehow anyway? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...n_confused.gif

I love the show, but I can't figure out why everyone likes Lindsay so much. Maybe it's because she's the "underdog" but she doesn't impress me much. Also, she's certainly not poor. Granted, she doesn't have as much money as some of the other girls, but the term poor is not very fitting.

I loved that Nikko rode Rocket (though I REALLY love 007) because I think it shows that he's willing to work for it and not just take the 100% made horse.
    A lovely horse is always an experience.... It is an emotional experience of the kind that is spoiled by words. ~Beryl Markham

I don't think that Lindsay is upset at missing regionals....although that has some to do with it....if you listen to the comments that she makes....she says "I rode better than that. I didn't deserve 20th place." Her mom goes on to say "I know that you did, and you know how political this stuff is." It was at the very end as they were walking over to the mustang.

Granted, she was probably diappointed that she didn't make it, but I think that she was more aggrivated that she didn't place as well as she should have!!