The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by equinekingdom View Post
    I think it would be a bad idea for a child to ride for two hours to start out. Have her ride in a 30 minute lesson to start, take a couple months of lessons, and see how she does. I don't know many six year olds that could handle a long ride like that. and either way, I'd want someone walking with the horse or riding with the child.
    Uh, I think by now they know the answer since the original post is almost two years old.

2 members found this post helpful.

Deleted.

That's what I get for not noticing someone bumped an ancient thread.
    ---------------------------

I want to know what was the result. Did the child like the 2 hour ride? Did the parents survive? or did they decide not to take the child...

On the right horse I don't see any problem at all, although 2 hours is a long time. Many of us got our first ride on rental hacks, and wandering through the trails doesn't require the same concentration an actual riding lesson does. Let the kid have some fun if she wants to do it.

Damn you, "Similar Threads" box, below
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

They were 1 hour into the trail ride when a bus full of nuns and puppies crossed the trail. The child, recognizing the situation jerk the horse wildly, causing it to spin out of control into a guardrail. Unfortunately, the fuel tank on the horse ruptured resulting in a small nuclear explosion, collapsing a local dam. However, because the child wore a helmet, they only had cuts and bruises. The nuns and puppies were ok and continued their trip.
    Local authorities, describing the downstream devastation withe the destruction of 3 medium cities was quoted as saying, "It's a damn disaster."

1 members found this post helpful.

I used to work at a trail riding place, each ride was 1 hour and usually walking only. We only did more than walk if we happened to have a group that could already ride (a rare event). The minimum age they allowed was 8, and frankly most kids that young didn't enjoy it- they ended up whining because they were bored, they got bitten by mosquitoes, their bum/ hand/ foot whatever hurt and so on. We did have a horse that was beyond saintly so the tiniest kids always rode her. One set of parents lied and said their kid was 8 when she was really only 6. The kid ended up hysterical because she saw a snake and froze and started pulling said saintly horse into tiny circles on the trail. Parents ignored her and just kept riding onward with the other guide, I had to deal with their hyperventilating terrified kid. I offered to pony her horse, that was a no-go kid could barely answer at that point. I had to get off my horse (who was not saintly enough for screaming child), get on saintly horse with kid in front of me and pony my horse. We were only 20 minutes into the ride and the poor kid had to continue because we weren't allowed to turn back (2 - 3 guides per tour depending on number of guests on ride, one had to be in front, one had to be at the rear to make sure no guests got in trouble or had a horse turn around and head home on them). So, long story short I say no way! Let the kid have a pony ride with someone leading and then get to pet the pony and feed it treats after. I think that is much more in line with what most 5-6 year olds who haven't been ridden before can handle.

Quote Originally Posted by RAyers View Post
    They were 1 hour into the trail ride when a bus full of nuns and puppies crossed the trail. The child, recognizing the situation jerk the horse wildly, causing it to spin out of control into a guardrail. Unfortunately, the fuel tank on the horse ruptured resulting in a small nuclear explosion, collapsing a local dam. However, because the child wore a Point 2 air vest, they only had cuts and bruises. The nuns and puppies were ok and continued their trip.
    Local authorities, describing the downstream devastation withe the destruction of 3 medium cities was quoted as saying, "It's a damn disaster."
    Fixed it for you

I think my first ride was a one hour trail ride when I was 5. I have a photo of me on the nice horse -- looks like a QH type and I am sure she was dead, dead broke. And I was really tiny but somehow stayed on I was with horsey friends of my parents who had slighly older girls who were all great riders, and I wanted to be just like them!

When I was 7, we had a vacation in the High Sierra. Our gear was packed in on mules, and the campers all walked in to our base camp, except for me. I begged my parents to be allowed to ride with the pack string, and the packers were amenable, so they put me up on a gentle old horse and away we went. That was on some rough mountain trails. At the end of the trip, I had to walk back out, and I wasn't very happy about it!
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    Fixed it for you
    Damn you, caballero! Damn you.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by RAyers View Post
    Damn you, caballero! Damn you.
    Major Hooters, at your service....

Depends on the child.

I was taking my 7 y/o on trail rides in the mountains of Northern CA, but she was ready for it. I wouldn't have dreamed of taking my other children at that age. My son had a short attention span at that age and my now 8 year old has taken a LONG time to feel comfortable in the saddle. It just plain depends on SO many things...

I think the idea of riding the Nanny Pony is wonderful. That way you know what type of child you're dealing with. They might scream the whole time :/ or, they might squeal with laughter!

Not against it, but safety would be my main concern.

Member of both the Southern California and Michigan clique - currently residing in Grand Rapids, MI

My sister, brother and I meet up in Wyoming every few years, and one of the things we always do is a big family trail ride. We take all the kids with us from 3 years up, and let the wrangler decide if they are riding single or double. It is the way I learned to ride, and a great experience for kids. Usually 5 and up goes single. And, no hard hats. I love my kids to pieces and am a safety freak, but these rides are safe and great if you go through a respectable outfit. The rides are long, so the ones riding double usually fall asleep.