The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Width of Slant Load Trailers

Many of the entry level slant load trailers have a 6 foot width. I realize that the angle of the slant and the width of the horse's space affect how big a horse will comfortably fit in a slant load. But will a larger horse (16 hands) fit in any slant load stall with a 6 foot width?

Are slant loads only for small horses? If so, as a general rule, what size horse is too big for a slant load. I realize that the length of the horse factors into this. A short horse can have a long back.

Any advice on looking at slant loads and stall size would be appreciated.

I have a horse that will go into a step-up, but is a horrible pain with a ramp. She also needs to turn around to come out. I want a step-up slant load without a rear tack compartment. Recommendations on brands would be appreciated too. I want basic and safe. I do not need the top of the line trailer. The trailer will receive light use.

you'd need to contact Dave at Tobruk trailers...he know this like the back of this hand :>

Tamara
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

It all depends on the trailer. I had 2 WB size trailers that were 7'9" and very wide. One was a straight load, the 2nd one a slant. I trailered warmbloods and full draft size horses in it and they had plenty of head room, length, and width. The back stall on the slant was a bit longer than the first stall.

I have found that most of the time, the better quality trailers will be taller, wider, and have longer stalls. Bring your tape measure with you when checking any out.

For warmblood horses, you need a slant load that is at LEAST 7 1/2 feet wide. and even then you need the "slot" to be at least 10" long. ALWAYS measure before buying.
    Last edited by Sonesta; Jun. 21, 2011 at 10:54 AM.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Why don't you look at a stock type trailer? Plenty of room for your horse and you don't have to worry about widths and angles.

I realize a stock trailer is an option.
    The openness is good most of the year. I would think in the midst of winter closing the trailer in would be good.
    With a stock trailer, how expensive is it to purchase plexiglass to go in the openings? Does the trailer have to have a special track to hold the plexiglass?

My slant is 7'6" wide, and I've hauled some pretty big horses in it. For really big horses I use a double stall.

Most of the floor plans I look at have 7' as the width, and that would be too narrow for me. 8' would be good, but 7'6" works. Most horses I haul are 78" blanket size.

For huge horses, a straight load configuration probably will work best, or a customized slant that has significantly wider stalls, and possibly less angle.

Quote Originally Posted by TN Lilly View Post
    I realize a stock trailer is an option.
    The openness is good most of the year. I would think in the midst of winter closing the trailer in would be good.
    With a stock trailer, how expensive is it to purchase plexiglass to go in the openings? Does the trailer have to have a special track to hold the plexiglass?
    Don't know the brands but many of the stock trailers in this area (more common than horse trailers as they are more multi-use) have a track that a long piece of plastic type material slides in and covers the entire length of the trailer for the one or two spaces). Shouldn't be hard to find. The alternative is simply blanket and hood the horse for hauling....we get some pretty cold weather here and horses work on the ranches year round so they get hauled around all over all year. They tend to keep the ones that are working blanketed just to avoid the sweat drying out issues.
    Colored Cowhorse Ranch
    www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
    Northern NV

Coloredcowhorse, do you know if the track came with the trailer or was installed by the owners?

I was on the Double D website and to pay them to add the track and the plexiglass was pretty expensive -- at least I thought it was.

I have found looking on the various websites of trailer manufacturers to be confusing. It's like comparing apples to oranges to pears to bananas, etc.
    When you start with a modestly priced trailer and then start adding options, you might as well have started with a more expensive trailer to begin with.

Thank you to all for your replies.

What brand trailers are you looking at?
    As you know there is poor-mediocre built trailers to 1st class. And personal preferences.

My 4-Star slant trailer is 7'6"H X 7'6"W, my diagonal length for the stall is 10'. Longer than stock model measurements so I can haul larger horses comfortably and small ones have loads of room. Next trailer would have 11' diagonal slants, but that would be years down the road.

My slant load (Merhow) is 8 foot wide and my 16.3 hand mare fits in it perfectly.
    Sandy in Fla.

I second the contact Dave McAdoo at Tobruk Trailers. Merhow will make a trailer to your specs. Dave will ask you questions about your horses--height, size, etc., your tow vehicle, and many others. He then makes a recommendation as to what size the stalls in the trailer need to be. I love my Merhow and so do our horses.

I would like to have a wood floor and a fiberglass roof. I can compromise on the roof, but not the floor.

That knocks out many of the trailers. Relatively few trailers have fiberglass roofs. It seems "all aluminum" is what many of the manufacturers make and what lots of buyers want. I do NOT want aluminum floors.

I had thought that Hawk only made straight-loads with ramps. I went on the Happy Trails website and saw that I was wrong. So I will be giving Hawks a lot more consideration since I can get the wood floor & the fiberglass roof.

I had started out looking used. If I lived west of the Mississippi, it would be a lot easier finding a used step-up, slant load with the roof & floor I want.

I also thought that I had wanted Rumber, but after reading posts about Rumber on COTH, I've pretty much changed my mind and gone back to wood.

Again, thank you for all the posts.

I bought a Cherokee 4 horse slant for my horses. One of my guys is HUGE. 17h and thick.

It has drop downs on one side and is a stock on the other side. Texas is way too hot for anything else.

I took a division out for him. I use the front slot for storage.
    So I have a nice 2 horse slant.
    : )

it's the basic size. 7' wide.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

The trailer I have is what you're looking for, but it may be too short. It's all steel though but it has a wood floor, is a step-up. The dressing room wall and the divider both pin flat to the wall to make it an open box stall.

And my trailer came with the tracks and the plexiglass. It seems like that would be standard? My trailer is a CornPro 2 horse if you want to look into it (or buy mine! )

My slant load trailer is 9' wide. This is only possible because the wheel wells are inside the body of the trailer.

The wheel well under the neck does not get in the way, but the one at the rear does, so the shortest horse goes in that space. However, there are still 3 slots for very long horses inside the trailer.

It is a Collin-Arndt trailer -- a little known brand out of Pa. which only makes Made to Order trailers. If you can find one, buy it, or call them and order one. They are really nice people and the trailers are not more expensive because there is no middle man; you are buying right from the man who is making the trailer.
    I found the perfect distance but they put the jump in the wrong place.

Make sure to take the length into account as well - I've been looking, and a Trails West 6'6" wide (from pre-2002) is significantly larger than the Circle J that answers to the same general description. I don't think I've actually seen a trailer wider than 7'6" around here

I'm buying an older Trails West, 6'6" wide for my WB mare, but will be pulling out the divider... I only have the one horse and don't go far, so it will work. The smaller trailer also keeps the weight down for towing.
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

this is in reference to your comment about rumber floors.

My first 2 trailers had rumber floors and I wish my 3rd one did. They are withouyt a doubt the BEST flooring option you can get. They come with 20 year warranty and will most likely outlive any trailer they're installed in, do not get hot (though some people that like wood or aluminum floors will say they do). They are made out of recycled rubber. What do you think rubber mats are made out of?

I had the 1st trailer for 1 year, then upgraded and kept the 2nd trailer for 9 years - after 9 years of heavy use - the floors still looked great, had no wear marks even from horses that pawed, etc.

they are fantastic floors and please do not rule them out if you can afford them. They are more expensive, but in the long run the much better choice.

Slant loads are for people that can't afford head to head trailers.

Collin-Arndt is no longer.....they are now SHETRON MFG located in Walnut Bottom, PA....about 20-25 min from the old location in Dillsburg, PA......same people.