My husband and I built my dream barn a couple of years ago. I've got a 12x20 tack room with a wall full of cabinets, sink, desk, bulletin board, a stereo system (my hubby wanted it so that he could play iTunes when he's in the barn), a church pew, and my tack, tack trunks, etc. We had a ton of rain this spring and now the entire room is covered in mildew- even the fronts of the cabinets! I have a small dehumidifier and though it's been working overtime, it just can't keep up. I know I'll have to get a bigger one, but how do I get rid of all the mold before installing it? I know they sell sprays which are fine for small areas, but I need to wash the whole room down. Bleach solution? Vinegar? What dilutions should I use? What a mess
This happened to our tack room earlier this summer as well. All that we did was move everything out that was able to be moved, sprayed everything down with bleach, sprayed the floor, etc. We kept everything out of it until the floor was completely dry. We put a fan on the ground facing the tack room so that it would dry faster. We haven't had any mold return yet... and it's incredibly humid where we live.
Ditto. I have a separate tack building that is insulated and heated/cooled. I also live on the Texas Gulf Coast where it's high humidity all year long. I have to have a window unit AND a dehumidifier to keep the mildew/mold at bay. My tack room is 10x12 and a 5,000 BTU window unit was not quite big enough to keep the mildew down. I found a 6,000 BTU unit and that, combined with a small dehumdifier, mostly keeps it at abay. The AC unit was less than $200.
Thank you all for your ideas! To answer a few questions, the floor is poured concrete. I'm pretty sure my builder did not put down a vapor barrier and most likely, that is the main problem, though my feed room isn't moldy in the least and it has the same flooring. I do have a window in the tack room, though I don't open it often. It is quite insulated and is heated in the winter. No A/C, but it rarely is hot enough in there to need it. I think a larger dehumidifier is the answer along with a whole lot of elbow grease, bleach, and vinegar. I also have a large indoor/outdoor rug on the floor. I guess I'll haul it outside, spray with some sort of vinegar solution, hose it off, and let it dry in the sun. I had a little mildew in there a couple of years ago, but it was on just a few pieces of tack- no big deal. This is a bit different I'm afraid.
You need air circulation......so you need to open up the window to let new air in and having a fan in the ceiling that sucks out the old air.
My hubby is a builder and his homes are so air tight their is no air movement unless an HRV is installed........when one isn't installed leaving all the windows in the house open a 1/4 inch will keep the air moving which will prevent condensation and moisture build up which also prevents mold from growing.
About a six inch thick concrete floor, no moisture barrier., and heavily insulated. In fact, it was AFTER we insulated the ceiling/roof that I had, for the first time, a mold problem. Prior to that (while the racoons nested in the attic (hence the roof replacement, sealing up and insulation) we had none.
Here's your problem. You have a "small" dehumidifyer. You need the biggest one that Lowes sells. It will run all the time during the humid season, and you will empty the 2 gallon bucket every day if it's raining or every couple of days if it isn't.
When it gets to where you only empty it once a week, you can put it away for the winter and turn on the heater.
They don't add that much at all to the electric bill and that water is dandy for dumping down the middle of the aisle after it's swept.