The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How to rid tack room of mold??

My husband and I built my dream barn a couple of years ago. I've got a 12x20 tack room with a wall full of cabinets, sink, desk, bulletin board, a stereo system (my hubby wanted it so that he could play iTunes when he's in the barn), a church pew, and my tack, tack trunks, etc. We had a ton of rain this spring and now the entire room is covered in mildew- even the fronts of the cabinets! I have a small dehumidifier and though it's been working overtime, it just can't keep up. I know I'll have to get a bigger one, but how do I get rid of all the mold before installing it? I know they sell sprays which are fine for small areas, but I need to wash the whole room down. Bleach solution? Vinegar? What dilutions should I use? What a mess
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com

yes, wash everything off with a "Tilex" type spray- for mold and mildew in the bathroom, and run to get a big dehumidifer!

are there any windows in the room? Sunlight is great for keeping teh mold at bay...

How or why did this happen?
    What is the floor? If poured concrete, did you put a vapor barrier down?
    Are there windows or doors in the tack room?

I am just trying to figure out why you have this mold, so that I can avoid it in my to be tack room.

I use damp rid in damp places. I also run a dehumidifier in my basement all summer.
    I am sorry that you are experiencing this.
    save lives...spay/neuter/geld

Two words. Air Conditioning.
    “If you are irritated by every rub, how will your mirror be polished?”
    ? Rumi

This happened to our tack room earlier this summer as well. All that we did was move everything out that was able to be moved, sprayed everything down with bleach, sprayed the floor, etc. We kept everything out of it until the floor was completely dry. We put a fan on the ground facing the tack room so that it would dry faster. We haven't had any mold return yet... and it's incredibly humid where we live.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

Quote Originally Posted by Gayla View Post
    Ditto. I have a separate tack building that is insulated and heated/cooled. I also live on the Texas Gulf Coast where it's high humidity all year long. I have to have a window unit AND a dehumidifier to keep the mildew/mold at bay. My tack room is 10x12 and a 5,000 BTU window unit was not quite big enough to keep the mildew down. I found a 6,000 BTU unit and that, combined with a small dehumdifier, mostly keeps it at abay. The AC unit was less than $200.

... _. ._ .._. .._

Is your tack room properly insulated, vented and heated? If not then that is your problem.

I live on the west coast where it is wet and damp most of the time and I have never had issues with mold.

Dalemma

Thank you all for your ideas! To answer a few questions, the floor is poured concrete. I'm pretty sure my builder did not put down a vapor barrier and most likely, that is the main problem, though my feed room isn't moldy in the least and it has the same flooring. I do have a window in the tack room, though I don't open it often. It is quite insulated and is heated in the winter. No A/C, but it rarely is hot enough in there to need it. I think a larger dehumidifier is the answer along with a whole lot of elbow grease, bleach, and vinegar. I also have a large indoor/outdoor rug on the floor. I guess I'll haul it outside, spray with some sort of vinegar solution, hose it off, and let it dry in the sun. I had a little mildew in there a couple of years ago, but it was on just a few pieces of tack- no big deal. This is a bit different I'm afraid.

You need air circulation......so you need to open up the window to let new air in and having a fan in the ceiling that sucks out the old air.

My hubby is a builder and his homes are so air tight their is no air movement unless an HRV is installed........when one isn't installed leaving all the windows in the house open a 1/4 inch will keep the air moving which will prevent condensation and moisture build up which also prevents mold from growing.

Dalemma

I'd ditch the rug and try something else. Indoor outdoor rugs hold onto moisture.

Default My tack room is about the same size as yours

About a six inch thick concrete floor, no moisture barrier., and heavily insulated. In fact, it was AFTER we insulated the ceiling/roof that I had, for the first time, a mold problem. Prior to that (while the racoons nested in the attic (hence the roof replacement, sealing up and insulation) we had none.

Here's your problem. You have a "small" dehumidifyer. You need the biggest one that Lowes sells. It will run all the time during the humid season, and you will empty the 2 gallon bucket every day if it's raining or every couple of days if it isn't.

When it gets to where you only empty it once a week, you can put it away for the winter and turn on the heater.

They don't add that much at all to the electric bill and that water is dandy for dumping down the middle of the aisle after it's swept.

would the bleach/water be safe for a stall?
    faucet leaked about 2 months ago,
    and now I can't seem to get rid of the mildew smell in his stall.
    ....... pausing

MICROBAN !
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Quote Originally Posted by Gayla View Post
    same here put a small cheap 1 room size w/ a thermostate control and no more green tack!

Just saw a nice big dehumidifier at Sams Club

Hey Maria!! I might just have to check that out! We need to get in a Masterson ride