The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Summer Horse Camp Ideas

I plan on helping out at my barn's summer kids camp. What are some of the memorable activities, games, crafts that you remember doing? (I will not be doing the teaching riding portion.)
    Topics to explore:
    Safety, parts of the horse, history of horse, riding (or course!)
    Thanks for any suggestions, memories, or "what NOT to do stories!"

You can have races to assemble bridles... but the kids must be blindfolded!

Or have various tack/items in a pillow case and have them reach in (blindfolded again) and identify them.

Get some Play-Doh foam clay stuff (not sure of official name) and have them make models of their horse or favorite horse at camp if they don't have their own.

Make stall name plates with various craft materials.

Make picture frames using old horse shoes. (Take a picture of them with their pony to use in the frame.)

Decorate pillow cases with horsey themes. (Or tie dye them... always a hit.)

Have them bring a white t-shirt and have all the campers sign it.

You can paint the bones of the horse on a light colored horse with Crayola fingerpaint.

Make health & maintenance record books for their horse if they own their own.

Scavenger hunts are fun. (We've done poisonous plant scavenger hunts before at pony club camp- educational!)

Skits

Teach them to longe by longeing eachother.

Bandaging- have them bandage eachother first before moving on to a real horse.

You can play "Chubby Bunny" (if you're unfamiliar with this game... you get large marshmallows and each person puts one in their mouth, has to say "Chubby Bunny", keep it in their mouth without chewing or swallowing, you go on to next person, when it's their turn again, you add another, say "Chubby Bunny"... so on and so forth. Rather entertaining!)

These are awesome! Thanks so much!

Do a search on the subject, your question was asked a couple months ago, with more great activities you can use.

Quote Originally Posted by Duramax View Post
    Make stall name plates with various craft materials.

You can paint the bones of the horse on a light colored horse with Crayola fingerpaint.
    These. The kids I worked with the last few weeks are getting harder to entertain than they were the last few years.

Normally I make stall signs for everybody in the barn, but I had the kids make their own this year because there was no way I could keep up with the pony-buying bonanza: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...b12&id=8300250

We also did the bone painting. It worked great with a few kids (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...170&id=8300250)
    and not so great with others (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...e49&id=8300250) depending on their attention span and desire to 'learn' during the summer.

They did pay attention during braiding, a discussion on different types of boots, and how to take the vital signs and check for heat exhaustion.

I tried the bridle assmebly and type sof bits with them last year... total fail. I remember bridle scrambles being fun when I was that age.

Water balloon fights, a moonlight ride, and plenty of Wii time are highly recommended.

Next week I have 8-year olds, then 6-year olds... I have no clue how to entertain them!!
    *#~*#~*#~*#~*
    Proud Momma of *Capital Kiss* and Bottle Rocket!

Legal Killjoy chipping in here, just to say, I loved the "chubby bunny" game, but have heard choking hazard liability stories...

Mounted games can be fun too- a favorite one on a hot day was bobbing for apples race- plus, you can let the horses bob for apples at the end

A few more ideas:

-teach how to braid. Teach them all kinds of braiding: dressage button braids, hunter braids, running braids, tail braid, etc.

-if you have the facilities with a kitchen, you could make your own horse treats.

-I'm assuming it's an eventing barn? If so, you could edjucate on the long format, then set up a course to do an abbreviated version of a long format depending on your facilities (just something to get through all the phases, e.g. the roads and tracks could just be a loop around a field), and have them check all the vital signs in the "10 minute box", etc. I did this in pony club, but I think it was when I was older so depends on the age of your kids if they will get it or not!

-Painting jumps is always fun

-have the kids make a ""musical freestyle. I use this term loosely Basically, have each kid pick a song and make a routine for it in the dressage ring. I wouldn't expect the music to match the tempo or anything, but they can ride around to their favorite music and make up their own dressage test pattern.

What about making/ coloring name plates for items in the tack room, stalls, etc?

Or doing a competition with pinning anatomy labels on a horse picture?

Making lists of colors or breeds

tie-dye horse print t-shirts
    www.TackMeUp.com
    'What's in your trunk?'
    Free tools for Trainers and Riders

grooming, including braiding, the favorite: giving a horse a bath! worn them to wear clothes which can be gotten wet/ a change of dry clothes; towels to dry themselves with.

gymkhana games an "obstacle course to be timed. cones to weave in and out of; a piece of plywood to ride over a stick to pick up out of a bucket, put back into another bucket; design certain areas for walking, others for trot or canter; cavaletti poles with a very low cavaletti to "jumpover";
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Thumbs up health essentials

how to take TPR, normal ranges; have them chart these daily for a week or more; signs of good health, recognize basic illnesses, signs of colic with a stethoscope have them listen to he heart as well as find pulse with fingers, listen to lungs, gut sounds; capillary refill; they love all of this; who knows, there might be a budding vet in the group
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Thumbs up horseless horseshows

horseless horseshows or events
    breeder of Mercury!

Default went well

Well, it's almost over...we had a blast! Horse show tomorrow....did lots of crafts- lots of games....grab bag was a favorite...here is a picture of my sweet mare...we did simon says touch the body part... they studied one side, then had to touch it on the other side. Kids had a ball....so did I!
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...type=1&theater

Thumbs up good momento

WE were given wooden bowls in which we painted a picture of our favorite horse/ ponies' head, add a lock of mane; It's wonderful keepsake; I still have mine; from my 14th summer
    breeder of Mercury!