The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Fancy That View Post
    I find the Field Hunters that can show, FASCINITING! Would love pics of your successful Field/Show hunters!
    Look on my website (link below). There are lots of pics there.
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

Quote Originally Posted by Calling Duck View Post
    The average local foxhunting (or eventing) horse being ridden in that class can't see a distance and can't cope with being ridden under the lights.
    I forget which team, but one of the horses was a steeplechaser, never shown in a hunter class, and I dare say the team fared better than many of the "show horses". Distances and all. I think the animals that do something outside of the show ring are more apt to cope with all the chaos that is going on around the ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Calling Duck View Post
    70% of the audience on hunt team night at Devon is there for the "gasp" factor of watching these people chip and dive. Really sad for the poor horses.
    On the other hand, I have to agree that there were some scary rounds, and it was a mix of horror and humor. I give any of the participants a lot of credit for putting themselves out there. It is a very overwhelming experience.

I think it is a grand idea to have the Sunday (dead day so you say) be a real foxhunter competition too. Look how successful Warrenton is with VA. Hunt Night....It is a wonderful show, well attended, with foxhunters under lights, haha.

I have never competed my "show hunter" in VA Hunt Night due to the distance, but he was champion fieldhunter in the Aiken Hunt Night,,,,as well as in the top ten Centennial Fieldhunters, and has hunted from Green Springs MD, to Orange County VA, to Hillsborough Hounds in TN, and leads the field at Live Oak.

I'll also show a photo of him wininng the Talent Search in the Jacksonville A shows, he was 15-17 EQ champion at HITS, plus has numerous wins with me in Adult Amatuers and a few Amateur Owners..............So, it can be done!!! A good Foxhunter can also be a good show horse......granted not as "preprogrammed" as some, but every bit as rideable and adjustable!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Debonair and Cate jump TS.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	33116   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Debonair jumping at Centennial.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	33117   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Debonair_ and_ Cate_ at HITS_ 10.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	33118   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Debonair at Aiken Hunt Night.for web.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	33119   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rodeo and Trey Hunting with LOH for web.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	33120  

www.flyingcolorsfarm.comHome of pinto stallion Claim to Fame and his homozygous son, Counterclaim. Friend us on Facebook!https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fl...04678589573428

Quote Originally Posted by comingback View Post
    I forget which team, but one of the horses was a steeplechaser, never shown in a hunter class, and I dare say the team fared better than many of the "show horses".
    I pinned at Warrenton over 20 years ago on a steeplechaser. Now, mind you, he wasn't keen on the concept of getting the ribbon placed on his bridle, but we worked around that.

His biggest issue was that the fences, 3 feet, were Just Too Small.