The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jaegermonster View Post
    But as I said, show hunters and foxhunters are so far apart it isn't even funny.
    Umm, not all of them, thank you very much!

My only gripe with the Devon classes that are being referred to is limiting some of them to such a close distance of the show grounds... I think they should allow people to show in them that are not "local" if they ARE a regular member of a MFHA hunt.
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    No need to be rude! All I am saying is that the word "hunt" in the title of all these classes does not denote "foxhunting" any more than "working hunter" or "young hunter under saddle" denotes foxhunting. They are all just hunter classes.
    I guess it is implied that the class is for honest to goodness fox hunters. Even the gal who was on the winning team offered she wasn't a member of a hunt, had never followed the hounds and riding the fields scares her. I tip my hat to her, riding with John Madden isn't small change and showing hunters in the ring is hard work. I sense she felt a little awkward about the win.

Quote Originally Posted by SLW View Post
    I guess it is implied that the class is for honest to goodness fox hunters. Even the gal who was on the winning team offered she wasn't a member of a hunt, had never followed the hounds and riding the fields scares her. I tip my hat to her, riding with John Madden isn't small change and showing hunters in the ring is hard work. I sense she felt a little awkward about the win.
    She rides with John Madden? Last I checked she rode with John Muldoon? The three of them put in a stellar trip and deserved to win!

If you guys are upset about the name of the class(es) you should write DHS and let them know. Because I don't think the actual competitors are that concerned, and nothing is going to change without letting someone know.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by SidesaddleRider View Post
    Umm, not all of them, thank you very much!

My only gripe with the Devon classes that are being referred to is limiting some of them to such a close distance of the show grounds... I think they should allow people to show in them that are not "local" if they ARE a regular member of a MFHA hunt.
    There's no local requirement for hunt teams. Anyone can show. There is for local hunters (and then, by extension, the foxhunting class).
    ~Veronica

She rides with John Madden? Last I checked she rode with John Muldoon? The three of them put in a stellar trip and deserved to win!

If you guys are upset about the name of the class(es) you should write DHS and let them know. Because I don't think the actual competitors are that concerned, and nothing is going to change without letting someone know.
    Ooops, I read the article too fast and I appreciate the correction about the trainer.

I was slightly confused, because I don't think John Madden has a facility anywhere near our area!
    ~Veronica

Once upon a time, the "Hunt Team" members had to have a signature from the Master of the Hunt verifying they and their horse at least made a Meet.
    I didn't even see any mention of them needing to be from a Validated hunt either....so sad....

Default Twins, separated at birth

Madden and Muldoon. Snort. Now that made my lunch time reading today.

Back in the day horse "Hunt Teams" used to be won by Jack Trainor's clients, or by Juniors that stayed over for Saturday. Those days are long gone.

The average local foxhunting (or eventing) horse being ridden in that class can't see a distance and can't cope with being ridden under the lights. 70% of the audience on hunt team night at Devon is there for the "gasp" factor of watching these people chip and dive. Really sad for the poor horses.

The "pony hunt teams" is now a costume class with music. Last time I checked, there was no piped in music in the hunt field, nor were the junior members of the hunt field bedecked in bee costumes, so let us all agree that the names of the classes are not Webster's Dictionary references, but just something to call a bunch of people riding together, having fun, or relieved when it is over and happy to have a competitor's pass to get in for free for the rest of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Calling Duck View Post
    The average local foxhunting (or eventing) horse being ridden in that class can't see a distance and can't cope with being ridden under the lights. 70% of the audience on hunt team night at Devon is there for the "gasp" factor of watching these people chip and dive. Really sad for the poor horses.
    That's quite rude. Both of my TB foxhunters go very nicely under lights and have done so multiple times. Miracles of miracles they both find very nice smooth distances.

I would dare say that my foxhunters would make better show hunters than most people's show hunters would make fox hunters.

Default Nah

Not rude. Just the facts. Been in a hunting barn, been in a show barn. Been in the saddle. Been in the stands. Know from whence I speak.

Am glad your horses go well, that is the objective. Not saying it can't be done, it just isn't done much at Devon Hunt Teams.

Have you been out hunting first flight on a show hunter regularly? I've been in the hunt field when people bring their "A" show hunters out. Most haven't made it through a hunt.

repeat msg...
    Last edited by SidesaddleRider; Jun. 21, 2011 at 06:46 AM. Reason: repeat msg...

Huntin' horses are gems, I will agree. Every horse that tries hard should get a prize in Life.

There's no local requirement for hunt teams. Anyone can show. There is for local hunters (and then, by extension, the foxhunting class).
    V, Those were the 2 classes to which I was referring. They should have the local hunters be by the mileage OR for those riders from a recognized hunt, so ACTUAL hunt members can ride in the foxhunters class! Hauling up there for one class (hunt teams) is silly, but hauling up for three classes is worthwhile. There are certainly quite a few foxhunters hunting rated show hunters in VA, and we would be glad to show off some real hunt horses who have no problem putting in nice rounds under the lights.

V, Those were the 2 classes to which I was referring. They should have the local hunters be for the mileage OR for those riders from a recognized hunt, so ACTUAL hunt members can ride in the foxhunters class! Hauling up there for one class (hunt teams) is silly, but hauling up for three classes is worthwhile...
    They have sooooooo many entires in the locals. Just sooo many, I can't see them opening that up. But what they could do is have the foxhunting class open to actual members of hunts? They need to do something with it. They need to do soemthing with everyone on that last Sunday because it's dead!
    ~Veronica

Quote Originally Posted by Calling Duck View Post
    Not digging on ANYONE'S discipline, but the atompshere at Devon that night is pretty darn intense. Huge crowds, very loud (some people are VERY drunk), under the lights, very very limited warmup area, the ferris wheel and fair-- it's a recipie for any horse coming unglued.
    ~Veronica

I wouldn't put my A show hunter in the field unless I thought his showing days were over. Crazy!!

Quote Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
    I wouldn't put my A show hunter in the field unless I thought his showing days were over. Crazy!!
    Not at all!! For the vast majority, I have found that they go so much BETTER in the show ring after they have spent time hunting. Hunting makes them braver, handier, more sure footed, calmer about new places, and they just plain have FUN. I typically tell people who think I am crazy to hunt my show hunters that , "I don't have show hunters that hunt, I have field hunters that show." And that includes my former A/O horse (who I sold to a jr who did him in the Children's, Lg Jrs, and Big Eq), who was the Res CH Virginia Field Hunter, as well as Sidesaddle CH at Harrisburg.

I find the Field Hunters that can show, FASCINITING! Would love pics of your successful Field/Show hunters!

Not at all!! For the vast majority, I have found that they go so much BETTER in the show ring after they have spent time hunting. Hunting makes them braver, handier, more sure footed, calmer about new places, and they just plain have FUN. I typically tell people who think I am crazy to hunt my show hunters that , "I don't have show hunters that hunt, I have field hunters that show." And that includes my former A/O horse (who I sold to a jr who did him in the Children's, Lg Jrs, and Big Eq), who was the Res CH Virginia Field Hunter, as well as Sidesaddle CH at Harrisburg.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**

Quote Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
    Why do so many folks think that a horse that is no longer fit to show is ok to hunt? Um, no.

And ditto the folks who said they have seen many a show horse lose it's mind on it's first hunt, while the foxhunters take showing in stride.

And wholeheartedly agree with sidesaddleriders post about the field hunters taking it all in stride at the shows. I know my mare does, she is very nice and very fancy, and a hack winner in the best company. I've been whipping in off of her for the last few years and we primarily hunt these days only because it's more fun for both of us than riding around in a circle.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin