The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Big, hard lump on bone-can I make it go away?

Mare kicked at the neighbor and got a pretty good gash and alot of swelling. Its on the outside of the cannon bone about midway up on the side. Doesn't interefere with any tendons, etc. I doctored the cut and alternated poltice and sweat wraps (happened about 2 weeks ago). She was never lame on it. The cut is now healed (no hair yet) and there is no swelling but there is a hard bump. Its fairly big and ugly. There is nothing soft invloved. It does not respond any longer to work or wrapping. Is there anything I can do to break down the bump? Its strictly cosmetic at this point. I have been icing it and rubbing it really hard with a homeopathic cream for a couple days. Too soon to see if thats helping. Any tricks?
    Do not toy with the dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!

Sounds like she popped a splint when she injured herself. It may go down with time or it may not.

Its much bigger than a splint (like 2" in circumference and 3/4" out at the biggest point) and it is on the outside of the leg. I know it *may* go down on its own over time, but its pretty ugly. She is a competitive under saddle horse, not a halter horse and I am pretty sure it is just cosmetic, but...sigh. I had heard you could put something on a splint and use a rolling pin to 'break down' the bump. Have no idea what you put on or if there is some truth to this?

Usually calcium deposits like that will decrease in time

Quote Originally Posted by thatsnotme View Post
    Its much bigger than a splint (like 2" in circumference and 3/4" out at the biggest point) and it is on the outside of the leg. I know it *may* go down on its own over time, but its pretty ugly. She is a competitive under saddle horse, not a halter horse and I am pretty sure it is just cosmetic, but...sigh. I had heard you could put something on a splint and use a rolling pin to 'break down' the bump. Have no idea what you put on or if there is some truth to this?
    Hmm I have no idea. My mare have a ginormous splint on the outside of her leg. Yes the can get splits on the outside of their leg. They have splint bones on both sides. My mares is pretty huge too! She just came in with it one day. Guessing she wacked it on something, but its cold and doesn't interfere with the soft tissue. She is sound, so I am just leaving it alone.

I guess my mare's may not be a splint either but its in the right location, so its my best guess.

My mare got kicked in the face years ago. She had a small cut just to to right side of her face, about midway between muzzle and eye. She developed a hard golfball size lump after the cut had healed. I was so upset as she was a show horse. In desperation, I used DMSO on the lump and put a magnet in a tub sock which I attached to her halter so she had it in place pre and post ride. I did this religously for about 3 months. It gradually got smaller and now unless you really look can barely even see the scar from the cut and a very slight bump. We're talking orginal bump could be seen if you were standing on opposite side of head. Good luck with your horse.

Well, it may be a splint as others have said. I haven't had this happen to a horse, but me. I had a horse kick me full on in the forearm eons ago and NOT break my arm. Hurt like hell and a huge lump developed. The doctor called it a bone bruise. It was there for a few years and slowly went away. I don't know if that's helpful, but maybe it's something like that.

My mare had a large splint on the outside of her left hind. Probably 3/4" high, and 1 1/2" in diamter. Looked ugly, but didnt bother her a bit after it went "cold".
    Don't squat with yer spurs on

Port of Call "Cruise" 3/4 Thoroughbred -1/4 Clyde 4/15/98-3/1/12 RIP my handsome boy

This is not a splint. Its just not in the right spot, too high and outside, like behind where the splint bone runs. It is seriously huge. I have seen some big nasty splints, but this is the size of my palm and almost an inch out.
    Anyways, I started DMSO today, we'll see.

not sore at all? What about a Dmso furazone sweat with saran wrap and and a standing bandage. Its hard though right? Weird. You may want to get an x-ray and see what the heck that is.
    Don't squat with yer spurs on

Port of Call "Cruise" 3/4 Thoroughbred -1/4 Clyde 4/15/98-3/1/12 RIP my handsome boy

Really funny you should mention this. My older guy came in with a very similar lump near his elbow, but not in the right spot to be a capped elbow- but again, a largish hard, bony lump. He is very barely 1/5 off on the other leg because he got kicked, but no unsoundness on that leg and no sensitivity to the lump. No visible trauma in the past few days/weeks. I am totally stumped.
    It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get a saw.

She was barely sore the day it happened and the whole leg was huge and hot. Had the vet out-the cut required sutures. Alternated FAD gel sweat with saran wrap and cold hose/poltice. No lameness day 2 and no swelling day 5. Started alternating no wrap/dry wrap. Pulled sutures, new swelling. OK-normal. Back to dry wrap a few days. Would occasionally be a bit big, but go down with work. Now it has had NO swelling or heat for over a week but teh hard boney bump is still there (this never went away from start to now)

I am going through the same thing right now with my gelding.

Freak accident - if I hadnt seen it I wouldnt believe it - my boss mare started snaking her head at my gelding, telling him to move out of her way. He ran off and kicked out at her on the way. This is just normal herd behavior - they never actually really connect with each other, etc.

Well I heard a SMACK and thought "Oh geezus, he just broke her jaw" as I saw his left hind connect with her face. I checked her out, totally fine, just a little blood on her gum. I check him out and he has a cut all the way through the skin on the outside of his left hind, directly between the digital tendon and suspensory. I got puffy around it and if you pressed on the puffy area, air bubbled out of the hole.

He actually caught the outside of his left hind on her lower right incisor!! Crazy stuff.

Vet came, did antibiotics, sweat wrapped it for a few days and then went to the silverdine stuff. The whole time in a standing wrap with daily changing, hosing, etc. He was never lame on it.

Yesterday was 3 weeks. The cut/puncture is healing well - still a little granulated tissue but again, this was really like a puncture as it went clear through the skin. But there is a hard lump under and around the wound. Not squishy, not hot, not tender. Nothing I do changes it. I *am* having a vet out to ultrasound the leg regardless if there was a lump there or not because of the proximity to tendons, etc.

I hope its nothing serious but I also hope its not yet another cosmetic scar. He has a bog spavin on his right hock so its just puffy and ugly but again, no problems with it. But I really dont want jewelry on every leg!

This is 2-3 days after it happened
    http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._8383032_n.jpg

This is looking almost straight on of the left hind, facing towards the tail - shows the lump the best - almost 3 weeks post accident
    http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._3904763_n.jpg

This is same day as the above pic. It is looking from the back of the leg forward, slightly angled to the outside.
    http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._6512369_n.jpg
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!