We have been working on it for about a month. The temps have been brutal here, so only did a few hours at a time.
A little back story on the trailer....
I traded a horse for it. It was not in bad shape when I got it, just had to have the axels changed as it had mobile home axles and wheels. We got trailer axles with brakes added, changed the hitch (there was a broken pin) and fixed the back door that did not close well. Then it sat for 4 years out in Florida weather. I had a back injury which led to surgery so I was not able to work on it.
With the way the natural disasters have been going this year, I figure we are in for a bad hurricane season. After going through Ivan we have decided to evacuate everyone (horses, dogs, cats and parrots) if anything over a cat3 threatens. I have a friend in N. Lousiana that has a free 10 acre pasture for my horses. 6 dogs, 15 cats and 50 parrots will be able to find room as well.
We fixed up both trailers so we could run if needed. The 'little' one only neede a little paint and caulking. It is a 12 yr old 4 horse stock combo BP.
The big one.... well, I'll let the slide show speak for me!
You know, I just went out to my 92 S & S today, the floor is out and the frame was freshly coated with rustoleum...and there is rust coming thru already!!! Just an FYI...and this thing hasnt had a horse in it yet!
If you can't sandblast it, the best thing to do for the rust is to wire brush anything you can, then use POR-15. I've used the rustoleum super-duper rust stuff in a rattle can, and then painted over it with good results too.