The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Balou du Rouet

I bred to balou last year and the resulting foal was very small. This mare herself is 16.3+, all foals have matured 16.3+ and this is the smallest warmblood foal I have ever seen. Even at 3 months it is dwarfed by the foals her own age. Is this typical of Balou's? I really like the type/ movement/ jump he produces but am hesitant to try again. I really need something at least 16.2.

And for those that have ridden then Balou's, how is the rideability? I don't mind a hot or sensitive horse but wan't something trainable with a good work ethic.

Here is a thread where there was some discussion about the height of Balou babies.
    "Balou du Rouet 2010/2011 offspring? "
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=307173

karin@dutchbreeders@aol.com - Is what I would call the US expert on Balou as she's had something like 12 Balou babies out of several different mares. Hopefully she'll chime in!

I had two Balou babies this year. The first is 4 months and is growing like a weed. Her dam is only 15.3 but the filly is by no means small. My second (o/o 16.2 mare) is almost a month and was born uneventfully and fully cooked, albeit small, at 322 days. I would be just fine if she wanted to stay small as she's a keeper for 5'1" me but I have a feeling that she's going to get some height. She's very lanky and still appears to be unfolding.

Hopefully some of the seasoned Balou breeders will chime in!
    Nani Lio Farm, LLC
    www.naniliofarm.com

Thanks for posting that thread link NaniLio, I could not find the thread and was wondering what happened to it.

Not sure what to say about the size of your foal nicameo, I have seen many Balou offspring here in NA but also in Holland as he is a popular sire in europe and becoming more and more popular now as his offspring are doing so well in performance.

I can speak about our two 2011 Balou foals out of two similiar type mares who have had numerous offspring, both our Balou foals are big very tall and we are very pleased with both.

There are many photos on our facebook page some recent ones of both Glowstick P and Guru du Rouet P and you can see maybe from the photos our colts are big for their age and very well developed.

http://www.facebook.com/PrimaEquestrian

Based on how tall offspring from our mares and different stallions finished both of our Balou foals are very tall and both will finish a good size around 17.0h or just under.

Yes Karin is also what I would call a Balou expert she has a super mare that was just started and if I remember correctly this young mare was w,t,c in record time and is so well balanced already jumping. Hopefully Karin can post a video of her on here as she looks super under saddle so you can see a young Balou that was just started and see how great this mare is to ride how much she loves her work.

At the end of the day all that counts is you have a horse with talent that you can ride and loves to work this is what matters most- size, colour who cares really, as we are not breeding to have pets no one is and without question Balou is known for producing the very best mind and very smart offspring, they are all charming almost to a fault, they love people and later when you go to start them you have a great horse to work with this is what I have seen.

I also have spoken with many Balou offspring owners and many tell me they are slower to mature or they can be.

The talent Balou gives his offspring is proven time and time again. Are they all GP horses of course not no stallion can guarantee this as more comes from the mare but each one I have laid my eyes on has been super on the flat with tons of scope and just pure raw talent but most important under saddle they love to work and they engage their riders and we look for this is a horse, it is like they have a smile on their faces when they are in work.

So nicameo as your Balou is so young it is hard to say what size he or she will end up I would be shocked if you came back in a few years and said you had a mini horse but one thing I do know is you will enjoy working with your foal on many levels and before you know it riding your foal, would love to see a photo of your foal as I have not seen a Balou I did not like

We LOVE LOVE our two Balou colts did I say we love them
    Prima Equestrian
    KWPN GOLD Level Breeder
    www.primaequestrian.com
    http://www.facebook.com/PrimaEquestrian

Prima Eq - I couldn't agree with your post more. It makes me so eager to be able to ride my youngsters!!! These next several years will fly by I'm sure.
    Nani Lio Farm, LLC
    www.naniliofarm.com

I have heard nothing about Balou's being on the small side at ALL, if anything the opposite.

Unfortunately, OP, sometimes weird genetic stuff happens.

I have friend who bred her 17hh Holsteiner mare to Popeye (who is 17.1hh, i think?) and the resulting filly (now mare) finished at jsut under 15.3hh. Go figure.

I know someone with a 2010 colt out of two parents that are well over 16hh, the sire being a very well-known KWPN stud, that is TINY. As in, around 13hh as a coming yearling.

I've heard of people breeding 15.2hh mares to 15.3hh studs and getting 17hh+ monsters, lol.

With height, you can stack the odds in your favor, but sometimes weird stuff crops up. I doubt you'd get another small foal if you rebred the mare to Balou again.

It's actually a different mare I am thinking of trying. The mare I bred last year I leased, she was a direct daughter of Argentan. The mare I am thinking of breeding is a KWPN Goodwill/Puriso/Makelaar. She herself is only a little over 16h maybe 16. 1/2. If I were breeding to resell, I wouldn't mind the possibility of having 16h horses but I am breeding for myself to ride and show. I am 5'9 and not a slight thing at all.

Any other suggestions? I would really like to add length of leg and height and maybe refine a little. My dream horse would be an A/O Jumper that also has really good movement as I enjoy dressage as well. The mare herself has very good gaits. I like a little heat and sensitivity but something that enjoys working and wants to please.

I would post a pic of the Balou filly but I am having trouble figuring out how.

Quote Originally Posted by Prima Equestrian View Post
    So nicameo as your Balou is so young it is hard to say what size he or she will end up I would be shocked if you came back in a few years and said you had a mini horse but one thing I do know is you will enjoy working with your foal on many levels and before you know it riding your foal, would love to see a photo of your foal as I have not seen a Balou I did not like

We LOVE LOVE our two Balou colts did I say we love them
    The owner of the mare I leased actually bought the filly from me. She thought she would be a perfect refining type for her program, the Argentan mare is up in age and we were also afraid she might not end up being tall enough for me. I am hoping to breed my next forever horse to ride and show this time around.

Another stallion I have been drooling over is Crespo VDL. Has anyone had an experience with him? I know he is very young so probably doesnt have much on the ground.