The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pentosan GOLD? Adequan alternatives?

Hi all...I know pentosan, polyglycan, and adequan have been discussed here repeatedly - but I couldn't find the answer I was looking for.

I ran across Pentosan Gold when looking up information about regular Pentosan. Has anyone used this? Has anyone used this and Polyglycan or Adequan (not at the same time)? Which did you prefer?

Why is Pentosan Gold IV instead of IM? I don't care either way, as I can give both with difficulties.

Background - I have a 6 y/o reining mare in heavy training, has hocks injected for maintenance when needed. No previous lamenesses or injuries (knock on wood). I like to keep her on some sort of joint supplement. I had her on an oral joint supplement previously but would like to make things easier for her trainer by not having something extra he has to feed (as she's already on Smartpaks and my preferred supplement isn't in smartpaks). I wanted to put her on adequan...but yeah. We all know about that.

Thanks in advance!
    Only two emotions belong in the saddle: One is a sense of humor. The other is patience.

No one?
    Only two emotions belong in the saddle: One is a sense of humor. The other is patience.

where the truck's a Ford and the tractor's green

Why not Adequan? My 22 year old mare, who evented through Advanced and did the grand prixs and then the Mod. Jr/AO jumpers with me and is still doing the Low Adult Ammy jumpers and Adult Eq with me has better results on Adequan than anything else. Second to that is Polyglycan, which I use as a generic Legend injection IV, but now that she's back on Adequan instead of the generic I was using while it was unavailable, I've been able to nix the Polyglycan.

I much prefer Adequan to any feed-thru joint supplements. A: you know that they're getting the full dose, and B: you can see a difference within 48 hours, as compared to the month or so that feed-thru supplements typically take. That said, my mare is on SmartFlex Senior, but that's more peace of mind for me than anything else.

Last I checked - Adequan was still on manufacturer backorder.

where the truck's a Ford and the tractor's green

I got mine 2 weeks ago. Only releasing 10 dose vial right now.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/adequa...x?cm_vc=Search

I think, but am new to the Pentosan Gold thing, that Pentosan Gold can be giving IM, but Pentosan Gold + HALO (hyraluronic acid) has to be IV. I don't know, though, but might be worth looking into.
    As far as Adequan versus Pentosan -- I use both (well, the "generic" which isn't really generic glucosamine plus a compounded formula of Pentosan) and I feel I achieve great results. My horse is 19 and competing 2nd level successfully (so far...crossing fingers). My vet, however, is carrying Pentosan Gold and selling it direct, rather than writing out a script for compound. So I haven't tried that yet, but it will eliminate two shots down to one, which I like.
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.” ~Sir Winston Churchill

P.S. Here's a website that shows Pentosan Gold info along with Pentosan Gold+HALO info. Regular Pentosan Gold is IM, which I thought. :-)
    "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.” ~Sir Winston Churchill

Bumping this up because I have a great vet who will write a script for this if it is available. Anyone know if it is available in the US yet?

Default Best way to use Pentosan Gold for Horses

Quote Originally Posted by bugsynskeeter View Post
    Hi all...I know pentosan, polyglycan, and adequan have been discussed here repeatedly - but I couldn't find the answer I was looking for.

I ran across Pentosan Gold when looking up information about regular Pentosan. Has anyone used this? Has anyone used this and Polyglycan or Adequan (not at the same time)? Which did you prefer?

Why is Pentosan Gold IV instead of IM? I don't care either way, as I can give both with difficulties.

Background - I have a 6 y/o reining mare in heavy training, has hocks injected for maintenance when needed. No previous lamenesses or injuries (knock on wood). I like to keep her on some sort of joint supplement. I had her on an oral joint supplement previously but would like to make things easier for her trainer by not having something extra he has to feed (as she's already on Smartpaks and my preferred supplement isn't in smartpaks). I wanted to put her on adequan...but yeah. We all know about that.

Thanks in advance!
    We*would*definitely*recommend*Pentosan*Gold.*The heparin-like anti-coagulant effects have been reduced and the anti-inflammatory, fibrinolytic, and tissue trophic effects have been enhanced.

PENTOSAN GOLD actively reverses the effects of osteoarthritis in the joints via a series of actions, including:

(a) Stimulating Chondrocyte Metabolism - resulting in increased production of proteoglycans and healthy
    cartilage matrix. PPS stimulates synovial fibroblasts to produce increased amounts of high molecular weight
    hyaluronic acid which results in an increased production of normally viscous joint fluid. Improving the fluid
    volume and consistency results in more effective joint lubrication and stabilisation, which limits further
    cartilage damage.

(b) Anti-inflammatory Activity - PPS has an inhibitory action on all mediators of the arachidonic acid cascade.
    PPS also inhibits the lysosomal catabolic enzymes hyaluronidase, histamine, cathepsin B, and
    polymorphonuclear elastase. PPS exerts a specific inhibitory effect on mediators implicated in the degradation
    of cartilage matrix components, preserving the cartilage and preventing the release of the highly inflammatory
    mediators, thus relieving pain and inflammation.

(c) Fibrinolysis and Lipolysis - PPS is strongly fibrinolytic, stimulating the release of plasminogen activator,
    and promoting the dissolution of thrombi and fibrin deposits in synovial tissues and subchondral blood
    vessels. PPS also mobilises lipids and cholesterol in synovial and subchondral blood vessels, which have been
    implicated in the pathogenesis of osteoarthritis in older animals. These effects combine to increase the prefusion
    to the joint, which stimulates cartilage healing and repair.

PENTOSAN GOLD is a sophisticated approach to the long term management of osteoarthritis in horses.

Dosage and Administration
    Administer at a dose rate of 3 mg/kg bodyweight (1.5 g / 500 kg horse), by intramuscular injection, at 5 - 7
    day intervals for four injections. PENTOSAN GOLD is equally effective when given by intramuscular or intraarticular
    injection. I hope we have answered your question in detail.

How have the heparin-like anticoagulant properties been reduced, please? Reduced compared to what? Especially while (as claimed above) the fibrinolytic properties have been "enhanced"? You can be very, very specific. I speak the language.
    Click here before you buy.

1 members found this post helpful.

That is a copy and paste off the website as are most of their other posts so I doubt you will get an answer.