The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I have been using Durasole to toughen the soles of my extremely flat footed mare and it does seem to help - that plus the work of an excellent farrier. The plan was to put her in pads this summer but so far (knock on wood) she's been doing well without them.

I also try my best to manage the environment her feet are exposed to. As much as I can I keep her from standing around in wetness. Also, she stays in during the day when the bugs are out and then has fly wraps on when she's out to minimize stomping. If she loses a shoe she generally stays in until it's back on (unless the ground's really soft and there's no flies). She also gets good hay and feed plus a hoof supplement (Super Biozin) and flax seed (Horseshine).

Of course this is not to say that she won't need pads at some point, but we're hoping that with good farrier work and careful management that her feet will continue to improve.

Pink rubbery stuff - are you thinking of the new equipak soft? It is pink.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

I prefer leather pads with oakum packing. I had some problems with silicone packing causing thrush after extended use.

Anyone got a name for "the pink rubbery stuff?"
    Good question. I've never asked what you call it. It actually comes in red and white putty, looks like playdoh (it isn't) and my farrier rubs it together in his hands until it's pink and presses it into the hoof. When the shoe comes off again it's a whole solid piece of shaped rubber.
    I didn't like the silicone squirted under the pads, it didn't keep the hoof as dry.

Quote Originally Posted by CBoylen View Post
    Good question. I've never asked what you call it. It actually comes in red and white putty, looks like playdoh (it isn't) and my farrier rubs it together in his hands until it's pink and presses it into the hoof. When the shoe comes off again it's a whole solid piece of shaped rubber.
    I didn't like the silicone squirted under the pads, it didn't keep the hoof as dry.
    That is what my shoer uses and it has proven to be the best stuff for my thin soled mare. We refer to it as dental impression material but I'm sure it has a name.

Before that we used equithane but we couldn't keep it in for an entire shoeing cycle
    ~~Some things are true whether you believe them or not~~

*Member of the "I hate the crest release" clique*

I just recently had a clients horse that dealt with unsoundness due to a thin sole problem. What we did was take x-rays to determine the thickness of the sole. We tried the pads and also the magic cushion but he was still sore becuase his soles were so run down.
    We actually did a shoeing practice which basically rounds the shoe at the toe kind , it gives the horse a chance to stand on the part of the foot which is most comfortable and actually encourages the horse to grow more sole. This is a solution ,not a quick fix. He was still off for a week or two afterwards, but after the first month our sole thickness went from .08mm to .14.
    Good luck, and if you have any questions about the exact shape and roll of the shoe id be happy to give you more info. just pvt message me

Default Update

I have been using Venus Turpentine since before I originally posted, plus my farrier set his shoes back and intends to continue doing that and has good support at the heel. I will buy Durasole when I go to the shop. I appreciate all these answers...and wanted to post that I have already felt an improvement in the way he moves.
    "Over the Hill?? What Hill, Where?? I don't remember any hill!!!" Favorite Tee Shirt

ugh similar problem here with my mare. Right now she is three legged lame with a bad bruise (we thought it was an abscess). Xrays look good. sole depth "ok". Good angles. My vet mentioned flip flops, but none of us, even he, didn't know much about them. Can they jump in them? Move well? My mare wears aluminums and leather pads... she is a nice nice mover and I would like to keep her that way for the hunters, BUT who cares how well they move if they are lame!!