The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Carlsson vom Dach sold?

I just read that Carlsson was sold to Hunter Harrison. Any idea on who will be riding him going forward? Since Will Simpson is based out of California and the horse will be moving to the East Coast? Just curious...I really liked the horse after getting to watch him in the Olympics.
    http://community.webshots.com/user/Diva1998

"Reality has a liberal bias" - Jon Stewart

Maybe Will will still ride him??? Did the source say that the horse was moving east or was he going to stay with Will?

Look at Nicole Simpson - She is CA based rider who has been riding a lot on the east.
    My Pictures! http://community.webshots.com/user/estieg12
    *Harbour Town* 2002 Hanoverian gelding "Otto"
    *Sahalee* 2002 mare "Flower" but who knows what breed she is!

Doesn't Daragh Kerrins ride for him?

I read it on Phelps ... it was an interview with Will and he said he would not be riding the horse anymore.

Awww.. bummer for Will. At least he got a gold for his efforts!!! But I guess that is the horse business...
    My Pictures! http://community.webshots.com/user/estieg12
    *Harbour Town* 2002 Hanoverian gelding "Otto"
    *Sahalee* 2002 mare "Flower" but who knows what breed she is!

Quote Originally Posted by MEADOWLARK View Post
    Doesn't Daragh Kerrins ride for him?
    Darragh Kerins and also Rodrigo. I think the horse Rodrigo rode in the Olympics is owned by the Harrisons.

Quote Originally Posted by meganp View Post
    Darragh Kerins and also Rodrigo. I think the horse Rodrigo rode in the Olympics is owned by the Harrisons.
    I hope Darragh gets him!

As much as it is awesome what the Harrisons do to support the sport, I still would love them to support an American rider while doing it. But it's there money, who am I to tell them what to do. They have absolutely phenomenal horses.

Daragh's got him!

Quote Originally Posted by EMWalker View Post
    Look at Nicole Simpson - She is CA based rider who has been riding a lot on the east.
    Just FYI -- she's no longer CA based. I think she resides in or around NY now.

Seb
    Aca-Believe it!!

CHarrison Guest

[B][B]
    Quote Originally Posted by hideyourheart03 View Post
    As much as it is awesome what the Harrisons do to support the sport, I still would love them to support an American rider while doing it. But it's there money, who am I to tell them what to do. They have absolutely phenomenal horses.
    Thanks for the nice words. Our farm would also love to support an American rider, but it just has not worked out in the last few years that way. My dad sponsored McLain Ward for a while, and when that ended he sold our top two horses to McLain to make sure they would stay with him and would be on the US team at the 2006 WEG and after. We then had two horses, Oasis and Night Train, who were/are sensitive and a little difficult horses who needed riders who really suited them. Rodrigo approached my Dad after about a month and said he had ridden Oasis before and loved him, so my dad decided to give it a try. They were a perfect match. As for Night Train, a few people tried him and it didn't work out. Darragh Kerins lives down the road from our farm and he started riding him (his cousin is our barn manager) and it has also been a wonderful match. When you have riders making great connections with horses that people have found difficult in the past, its very difficult to take them away or hire a new riders solely based on nationality. We all know that first and foremost you have to have a good horse-rider relationship. Beyond that, my dad did speak to a handful of US riders and none of them agreed to keep the horses in our barn. We own a farm in CT, and if the horses were to be based in the US, then my dad wanted to keep them in his own barn.

Anyway, just a short explanation because I have heard a few people say the same thing. I think at the end of the day my dad knows he chose these riders because they were the best for the horses we had then. Since then we have developed a great relationship with Darragh (who by the way just became a duel US/Irish citizen) and want to continue to support him for the future. Beyond that, my parents have been big supporters of the USET and the sport all over the world. CN is the title sponsor at WEF, Young Riders, The Global Tour and Spruce Meadows, so I think it’s a little unfair to criticize their support on any level. I don't mean to attack in any way. Todd Minikus made a similar (more general) statement last week. I see where he is coming from, but I wish people would respect and trust that we made the right decision for our farm based on many personal and important experiences and considerations.

Cayce, congrats on your new horse!

You don't owe anybody an explanation, but thanks for taking the time to post here. And many thanks to your family for everything they do for our sport!!!

What MHM said. I would like to add that Night Train and Darragh have been so exciting to watch!

Quote Originally Posted by CHarrison View Post
    [B][B]

Thanks for the nice words. Our farm would also love to support an American rider, but it just has not worked out in the last few years that way. My dad sponsored McLain Ward for a while, and when that ended he sold our top two horses to McLain to make sure they would stay with him and would be on the US team at the 2006 WEG and after. We then had two horses, Oasis and Night Train, who were/are sensitive and a little difficult horses who needed riders who really suited them. Rodrigo approached my Dad after about a month and said he had ridden Oasis before and loved him, so my dad decided to give it a try. They were a perfect match. As for Night Train, a few people tried him and it didn't work out. Darragh Kerins lives down the road from our farm and he started riding him (his cousin is our barn manager) and it has also been a wonderful match. When you have riders making great connections with horses that people have found difficult in the past, its very difficult to take them away or hire a new riders solely based on nationality. We all know that first and foremost you have to have a good horse-rider relationship. Beyond that, my dad did speak to a handful of US riders and none of them agreed to keep the horses in our barn. We own a farm in CT, and if the horses were to be based in the US, then my dad wanted to keep them in his own barn.

Anyway, just a short explanation because I have heard a few people say the same thing. I think at the end of the day my dad knows he chose these riders because they were the best for the horses we had then. Since then we have developed a great relationship with Darragh (who by the way just became a duel US/Irish citizen) and want to continue to support him for the future. Beyond that, my parents have been big supporters of the USET and the sport all over the world. CN is the title sponsor at WEF, Young Riders, The Global Tour and Spruce Meadows, so I think it’s a little unfair to criticize their support on any level. I don't mean to attack in any way. Todd Minikus made a similar (more general) statement last week. I see where he is coming from, but I wish people would respect and trust that we made the right decision for our farm based on many personal and important experiences and considerations.

Cayce, Thank you for the explanation. I totally understand your and your families decision to find the best rider for each horse. I was not meaning it as criticism in any way, just an observation. It is a business and you are responsible for making your business a success. That means having the best riders you can, no matter what nationality. IMO, the sadder thing is that no American riders are willing agree to the specifications that you guys, as owners, rightfully want and take such an amazing deal. Like I said before, your family supports the sport in so many ways and it is awesome.

I absolutely adore Night Train, btw. I saw him win at Devon and he was phenomenal. Congratulations on all of your horses' success. Best of luck with your newest addition.

Quote Originally Posted by CHarrison View Post
    [B][B]

Thank you so much for taking the time to post ... and congratulations on the purchase of Carlsson. He is an amazing horse and it will be exciting to watch this new partnership form.

Tony Aud Guest

Will will not be riding Carlsson Vom Dach any more

this is Tony the Manager of El Campeon Farms

City of delusion in the state of total denial

CHarrison, thanks for the explanation! I haven't gotten to see Oasis go, but Night Train and Darragh are certainly a great match. I'm sorry that Will will no longer be riding Carlsson but with any luck Carlsson will be just the first in a line of really good horses helping Will to the top.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

According to the Bloodhorse, Carlsson vom Dach is now on his way to Old Friends, presumably retired? http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/beyon...d-friends.aspx
    Founder of the "I met a COTHer in a foreign country" clique!

Quote Originally Posted by Too Old for Pony Club View Post
    According to the Bloodhorse, Carlsson vom Dach is now on his way to Old Friends, presumably retired? http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/beyon...d-friends.aspx
    Old Friends is a terrific organization, but I am surprised they are taking in a non-TB when there are so many of them already in need.

Last summer at HITS Saugerties there was a horse by the name of Carlsson vom Dach entered in the level zero or level 1 jumpers! I was wondering if a former Olympic gold medalist could be competing in such a low level class. Its not as though its a common name.

Zorro deuce Guest

Same horse. I believe Skara Glen purchased him from Double H. Given Skara Glen's roots in racing, that would explain the Old Friends connection.