The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone else had issues with Smartpak shipping recently?

I'm wondering if it's just me and/or my expectations are too high and I should just shut up.

In the past, when I've ordered from Smartpak, things have shipped out the same day and often arrived the very next day, by UPS. I live in Massachusetts, so I was pretty much getting next day service for ground prices. I KNOW that's too much to expect and I wouldn't count on it, but this last order has been kind of disappointing.

I often choose Smartpak over other online retailers because of the speed of shipping and great service.

This last order had two items in it. I ordered them on Sunday, 6/12. Confirmation came immediately, as usual. Looking on their web site, it seemed that things shipped on 6/13, promptly, as usual. BUT, I get an email today, Thursday 6/16 that one of the items was out of stock and not shipped at all. The other was shipped by UPSMI, some cheaper hybrid of UPS and the US Postal Service. I just NOW got tracking information that they've received the postage paid and haven't even shipped it out yet. Oh, and the item is in CT for some reason.

Huh? If Smartpak shipped on 6/13 from Mass, I'd certainly have it by now through regular, old, boring US mail, let alone UPS.

Is it possible that the items you ordered were shipped directly from the manufacturer and not from SmartPak?

Also, you can hardly hold SmartPak responsible for out of stock items...
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

Oh, I don't hold them responsible for out of stock situations, I'd just like to know a little sooner that that's the situation, rather than the day after the status on the site said they should be arriving. I'm in the envious situation of being in an area with lots of options for acquiring horse paraphernalia, so I can source alternatively if I know that I can't get something as promptly as anticipated. Maybe I'm just spoiled, and, as I said, I should shut up .

SmartPak prides itself on its outstanding customer service. If you have an issue with them, you should contact them because they will jump through hoops to make you a satisfied customer!

No, I don't work for SmartPak, I'm just a very satisfied customer.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Did you order a helmet, by any chance? I spoke with customer care this afternoon about my order (I ordered a helmet for DH, and two for myself because I'm unsure on sizing) and they said they really got slammed with the helmet sale they had on Saturday. Even if you didn't order a helmet, I'm guessing the helmet-palooza could affect the rest of their orders. I'd just call and ask. They are unfailingly nice to work with.

I'm one of those who ordered a helmet on Monday. As per the usual Smartpak service, I was expecting to get it today, but I checked the website and it hasn't even shipped yet. I'm actually quite surprised, and somewhat grumpy. I would fully expect this from Dover, but Smartpak?

This afternoon, I received the one that was drop-shopped directly from IRH. I won't receive the smaller size that is coming directly from SmartPak until Monday. Bummer is that I tried on this larger one, and it turns out I do need the smaller one I won't have my pretty new navy helmet for the show this weekend.

I'm cutting them some slack on this one. The helmet issue has gotten a ton of press this year, they did a one-day sale, and got slammed. Their service is top rate. I wouldn't string them up over an isolated incident that is clearly (IMO) the result of this helmet sale.

I have noticed that when I order on a sunday night, via internet, the info doesnt get to them until Mon and they ship out either mon or tues.
    I have had excellent luck with their shipping, but im in CT.

I also ordered a helmet on sat, via internet and was expecting a 6/20 delivery date from CO and it came today....whoot.

It's too be expected from even the best after a sale as big as they one they had this weekend.

I blame the big sale too. That's a giant rush of orders to deal with...and I know I for one tossed a bunch of things in with my helmet order, complicating things even more!

That being said, I ordered my helmet Saturday and it showed up Tuesday.

Yup. My last two orders have been late and on one of the orders they sent the wrong thing.

My boarder ordered the cheap IRH schooling helmet on Saturday and it arrived today, in a Smartpak box. Usually it is 4-6 days to get here via ground. I was surprised to see it today actually. But I have to agree, if you have an issue, call them and let them know. My FF half chap zipper seperated my first time riding in them and I had to cut the elastic that goes under the foot to get it off. They sent me a return shipping label, took the half chaps back, sent me the new ones before even getting the broken ones back, AND the ones I bought were on sale for $55 but by the time they broke and I got new ones sent, they were down to $33, so they credited me the difference. <3 them!
    ~~~~~~~~~

Member of the ILMD[FN]HP Clique, The Florida Clique, OMGiH I loff my mares, and the Bareback Riders clique!

Another boarder ordered the Smrtpak SR supplement and it took about two weeks to arrive. Almost forgot she ordered it!

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyTBMare View Post
    But I have to agree, if you have an issue, call them and let them know.
    What, are they able to go back in time and make the item arrive faster? What difference does it make if they're sorry and kiss your ass?

Quote Originally Posted by chaltagor View Post
    What, are they able to go back in time and make the item arrive faster? What difference does it make if they're sorry and kiss your ass?
    Ever worked in Customer Service?

Of course it cannot change what has already happened, but they can (and knowing SmartPak, WILL) use the feedback to avoid this in the future.
    Founding Member of "I Kept 'Off Topic Day!' Open"

Quote Originally Posted by chaltagor View Post
    A big difference if you let them know as opposed to just posting your complaint on a forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Crooked Horse View Post
    Ever worked in Customer Service?

Of course it cannot change what has already happened, but they can (and knowing SmartPak, WILL) use the feedback to avoid this in the future.
    So very true.

I consider myself an internet shopping "pro", not that I'm proud of that. However, I will say that no company comes close to the customer service SmartPak provides except maybe Amazon.com. That is still an amazing vote of confidence considering Amazon.com doesn't serve a "niche" consumer.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Default i love them

i have never had a problem with them and have had excellent customer service. the difference is that if they do make a mistake i have a feeling they would go out of there way to make it right. i ordered a helmet 5 minutes to midnight. got it yesterday...a day earlier than quoted and i love it. today i got my gift certificate for $15.00 off my next purchase for being a smart pak supp customer for a year.

love them love them....

dover is not so bad but i do have to roll my eyes at the "customer service peeps" in the stores...that is when they stop chatting at the cash out areas...and trust me...i am a frequent shopper.

I heard a rumor that the company was sold. I have noticed a difference in customer service/company policies/speed of shipping. They are still very good, but I can no longer rave about them.
    JB-Infinity Farm
    www.infinitehorses.com

Quote Originally Posted by spotmenow View Post
    I heard a rumor that the company was sold. I have noticed a difference in customer service/company policies/speed of shipping. They are still very good, but I can no longer rave about them.
    May I ask where you heard that?

I ordered from them a few months ago, and my supplements were here in 2 days. I would imagine they got slammed by the helmet sale, which could account for the slow shipping over the past week.
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

I haven't noticed any recent shortcomings with SP. Customer service is excellent as usual and shipping has been the same. The only item that I've received that shipped out of Connecticut instead of Massachusetts was a hat. I believe it was through a different postal carrier as well.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"