The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dominus Bruce Davidson?

Hi all!

Anybody know anything about the Dominus Bruce Davidson? The one I'm looking at has a forward, long flap, and I have freakish long legs. How to they hold up? Do the seat sizes run accurate?

Thanks in advance!
    Emily

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

wasn't Dominus the precursor of Amerigo? Same saddle designer? Peter Menet? If it's one of the old Domini, it's a very good saddle. http://www.horsetackreview.com/revie...lay/10669.html
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    wasn't Dominus the precursor of Amerigo? Same saddle designer? Peter Menet? If it's one of the old Domini, it's a very good saddle. http://www.horsetackreview.com/revie...lay/10669.html
    Yes ma'am! Designed by Peter Menet!
    Thanks for the input!!!

unfortunately don't have any info re: the Bruce Davidson model, but I have a Dominus Show Jump saddle and love it to pieces! super balanced, love where it puts my leg, secure... I could go on

I think the seat in it is true to size as to what fits me, but then again I haven't specifically pulled out the measuring tape so I can't say that 100%. I'll be curious to hear what others say
    “They were not sitting backwards on their horses,” he said with a sly smile. “But they had no dressage preparation..." - Bert de Nemethy

I just bought one, so I will let you know how it goes1

I just bought one for my new guy and I am obsessed.. I had to buy an 18 which is a little big for me. I also have a longish thigh but the flap is a little long for me but other than having a tad bit of extra saddle I absolutely love it! It puts me in a really nice position and very balanced. They are really hard to find so if you find one of the originals snap it up! I got mine for 800 which was a good deal bc it was in excellent condition! I am 7 months prego so I can't use it right now but I am dying to spend some time in it when I can get back in the tack!

Quote Originally Posted by Painted Hill View Post
    I just bought one for my new guy and I am obsessed.. I had to buy an 18 which is a little big for me. I also have a longish thigh but the flap is a little long for me but other than having a tad bit of extra saddle I absolutely love it! It puts me in a really nice position and very balanced. They are really hard to find so if you find one of the originals snap it up! I got mine for 800 which was a good deal bc it was in excellent condition! I am 7 months prego so I can't use it right now but I am dying to spend some time in it when I can get back in the tack!
    Glad to hear you love it! Got mine for 650 and have my fingers and toes crossed it fits both of us!!

SillyKobie, I seem to remember you had a Dominus CC in the past. Generally speaking, all the Dominus saddles fit pretty much the same. So your odds are good.

I think the Dominus Bruce D. is a great saddle. Really a nice choice for someone with a super-long leg and a withery, curvy horse. I'm the one who recommended it to Painted Hill.

I owe my find completely to Jenny! She recommended it then found it for sale in Texas and I tracked it to Maryland!! Where it then came to settle in SC! My only qualm is that my leg isn't quite long enough for all that flap, but it is just right for my femur. I am only 5'4 but have a long thigh relative to my height. If I could customize it I would take an inch off the flap length, but otherwise it feels like home

Quote Originally Posted by Painted Hill View Post
    If I could customize it I would take an inch off the flap length, but otherwise it feels like home
    Psst--you can do that, you know. It's not too hard for a good saddler to chop off an inch of the bottom of a flap, especially if they can do it without having to alter the knee roll. That usually costs around $100-$150.

Ha!!! Mike Scott is an hour and a half from me! Everytime I look at it I draw a line where I wish the edge of the flap fell!!!! Gosh I think I owe u a commission that would make it the ultimate saddle for me! Maybe that will be my kids first birthday present Ha ha

Can anyone tell me how the tree sizes run on these saddles? I see a ton of mediums for sale, but very few mw or wide tree which is what I looking for. I found an 18" wide and am VERY tempted!

Turns out my trainer's BD saddle is an old Parkers saddle. Pretty comfy, no calf blocks, but with a tree too narrow for my guy (We have a saddle stand now that we can try saddles on).

I will have to double check mine tommorow, but I think my guy was measuring on the medium wide side of medium and mine is a medium and fits nicely. It may be a mw but I need to double check. he has a little room so I would say based on my double checking, they run a little larger.

Just got mine today and the Medium tree fits my Medium horse! LOVE the saddle already!