The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

MidnightFlyer Guest

Default Dalmar & Tri-Zone Boots - Thoughts?

I'm looking at getting the Dalmar eventer boots or the Tri-Zone boots for XC - does anyone have any or have any thoughts on them?

Thanks

Try doing a search on the topic! I was looking for very large hind boots and the topic came up about size and fit.

Default DALMARS!!

I had the Tri-Zone boots first and the back boots rubbed my horse raw. I had no issues with the front boots.

I then bought the Dalmars and they are the best boots! They look great and clean great! They do not rub.

MidnightFlyer Guest

How is the protection on the Dalmar boots?

Thanks guys!

I have the tri-zones. Haven't tried them XC yet, but they were a bit snug on my big-boned WB mare (I bought them on eBay, so no return), but doable. My thing is the bulk upgrading from the neoprene Woof boots I'd been using - they're HUGE...
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

I broke down and bought the Dalmars at Rolex after talking to the Bit of Britain folks. They were very helpful.
    I LOVE these boots! They have what I call a strike plate at the front and back. They breathe and are quite flexible, with great coverage. They do not hold water. I got the largest as my pony is quite stout in the leg area. They fit him, although a tiny bit small in back, and my trainer can also use them on her much smaller boned TB. They are very pricey, but frankly I don't plan on having to buy another set of boots ever. My trainer has been very impressed with the quality of these and now wants a set for herself. I think we will end up sharing for a while due to the $$.

Love my Dalmars. Great protection, long lasting, light and don't hold water. I did not like the fit of the Tri-Zone nearly as well.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

MidnightFlyer Guest

Thanks guys! I believe i'm going to go with the Dalmars!

Also bought the Dalmars at Rolex and have been very pleased with them.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Default sizing

What size Dalmars would y'all recommend for a 16.2 hand TB that is not particularly fine boned?

The feedback in the UK is beware of Dalmars. Several horses have had nasty injuries in them when the carbon fibre guards have shattered.

This is a thread on this problem. One forum user wrote that it severed their horses tendon and wrote off $50k worth of horse . There is a photo of a shattered one.

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forum...ghlight=Dalmar
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary.