The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Exotic Pets Anyone?

Does anyone have exotic pets (snakes, ferrets, etc)? My family owns two ferrets: Batman & Snowflake. We love them dearly and are funny to watch.

We have two ferrets: Bucky and Bailey.

We also had poison dart frogs, but my brother's monstrous cat ate them (don't worry, they're not poisonous in captivity). We're expecting some new dart frogs soon.

My family when I was a bit younger had a bit of everything...a caiman, a skunk, parrots, snakes, a mini possum, a peccary, etc. All, of course, unwanted and dumped by other people.

Besides the two cats, a greyhound, and a plucky little appaloosa = )

We have 3 pet rats: Spike, Giles (both names from Buffy, I'm kind of a big fan of that show) and Algernon.

They are such neat little critters!

I would love to have ferrets at some point. I had a friend that had them when we were younger, and they were so fun.

My husband used to have a ball python, but it contracted a nasty virus that attacked its nervous system and is no longer with us. I'm kind of eh on snakes. They are cool, but they are very simple creatures, so I don't find them all that rewarding as pets.

I also think sugar gliders are neat, but I'm not sure how well they'd work with cats...

We've had Birds, mice, hampsters, snakes, lizards and even a scorpion (not all at once thought). However, I will never keep a cage animal again. It just made me so sad that these little creature had to live nearly their entire lives in their cages. They would be taken out like a toy, played with and then put back in their cage. I just couldn't take it any more and after the last one passed on that was it.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Besides the dogs, guinea pigs and bunny, I have a Desert Tortoise. His name is Tut and he is about 10lbs and rules the house.
    Proudly Owned By Sierra, 2003 APHA Mare
    In Loving Memory of Tally, April 15, 1983 - June 2, 2010

I had two ferrets. They are fun fun fun, for the right people. You have to really ferret-proof everything! I do like that as far as caged animals go, they can get out and interact much like a dog, so you don't get bored with them, and they can have a fulfilling life.

We had gerbils too, but when the last one died I said no more animals in cages too, for the same reason as PRS stated. It was my rule before too, and I let it get broken, but no more! Although I had a guinea pig when I was younger and they are fun too. And newts and a turtle, which I wouldn't have again, although I liked them at the time.

My stepson had asked for a leopard gecko and his dad thought it would be fair since the other son had gerbils. But I know they get bored with them quickly, and they live a long time. So I hope he has forgotten about it. Three dogs, three horses and a cat are plenty, if not exotic.

Let's see . . .
    Caramel Corn Snake (Chewy) banished from my daughter's school when it for the crime of escaping from it's aquarium ~ the principal was phobic. Given to us.

Brown Rabbit (Coco), former classroom pet. The teacher's children had lost interest, so she rehomed him with us.

2 Parakeets, from above teacher, whose kids lost interest.

Bearded Dragon (Rom), given to us when a neighbor got out of the reptile business.

Various mice, mostly dinner for above snake, but one is kept as a pet for daughter.

3 dogs, 2 from pound, one just showed up.

4 cats, 1 from pound, 2 just showed up, 1 inherited when my mom died

boarding stable, so 2 of our own horses and 6-8 boarded horses.

Current moratorium on new pets. But I'd love another Greyhound . . .

I had a salamander (Eddy) for a while. And the accompanying 2094825 crickets (all named Bob), since he refused to touch any dried or pelleted food. Got him from a friend who was doing research because he started cannibalizing the other salamanders. I got him when he was still aquatic, and saw him metamorphose.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

I have a geriatric chinchilla. He's almost 20 years old. He's been a pretty cool little pet.

Forgot about this thread so bumping back up!

Over the years, I've had several varieties of snakes - corn, rat, boa, etc - a sugar glider (what a cool dude he was!) and various lizards. DH won't permit any reptiles these days and I have my hands full with 22 horses, 5 cats, 10 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, 1 GSD, 1 15 year old wolf hybrid (no, I do NOT condone keeping wolves as pets or breeding wolf-dogs. This was strictly a rescue 14 years ago.), 2 cockatiels, and a salt-water aquarium.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Sonesta, I'm glad to hear your wolf hybrid is 15 yrs old. I have one as well, also a rescue, that is 8 and still acts like a puppy. She is a great pet and I was worried that she might have a shorter lifespan like many large breed dogs, but feel a bit relieved to hear of your older guy. Thanks.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

I have a cockatiel which might be considered exotic. I also have a Greek Tortoise baby named Uncle Jesse who is freaking adorable.

We have parakeets, 2 quaker parrots, Mike and Molly. Boy are they a trip. They were supposed to talk but Molly just screams at me when the phone rings. We have a bunch a guinea pigs but they have a great pen to run around in. Several treeing walker hounds. A couple of flemish giant rabbits and cows. and one very tough chiweenie named Misty
    I'm so busy.....I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse.

Alright put your big girl panties on and deal with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonesta View Post
    1 15 year old wolf hybrid (no, I do NOT condone keeping wolves as pets or breeding wolf-dogs. This was strictly a rescue 14 years ago.).
    Quote Originally Posted by RacetrackReject View Post
    Sonesta, I'm glad to hear your wolf hybrid is 15 yrs old. I have one as well, also a rescue, that is 8 and still acts like a puppy. She is a great pet and I was worried that she might have a shorter lifespan like many large breed dogs, but feel a bit relieved to hear of your older guy. Thanks.
    I also do not recommend the wolfdog as a pet. That being said, we have one that we love more than life itself! The coolest cat in the neighborhood and he knows it!
    Founding Member of "I Kept 'Off Topic Day!' Open"