The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Almost ready to rip the hair out now--horse clipper help!

I'll get right to it-I have a gelding that is IMPOSSIBLE to clip. Problem is, he's not scared of the clippers--I can run them all over his body on/off. I can run the handle part down him and the blades. But when I actually CUT the hair, he has a tickle-seizure. Alright, so I figured he needed to be desensitized to vibration, and bought one of those battery powered back massasgers and got him used to that. Go to clip-- same thing.

I figured that I'd try his feet because it would be less sensitive then his face--he almost FELL on me because he was so out of his mind with the tickles that he didn't know which feet to keep on the ground.

I don't know what to do next! I've never had this problem before. Is he a horse I'll always have to tranq? He's a sweet boy that tries, so he's not being a jerk. I thought he might be scared of the sound of the hair being cut, so I cut extra mane hair from a previous horse... no concern.

Any tips? Tricks? Ideas? Or will I always have to tranq? I don't even know what to tranq WITH!

I do almost all my clipping right now with my Arco cordless clippers because they are very quiet and have very little vibrations. My TB is ticklish and he does better with them.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Outside Ocala FL - Horse Capital of the World

I think that trying different clippers might be the answer, or at least something worth trying.
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

I think I probably should have specified what I clip with, huh? It's a wahl cordless... the Chromando, specifically. It's brand new so the blades aren't dull... but maybe I'll try my corded clippers?

I have no idea if this would work or not but try icing his legs prior to cliping to see if numbing the skin a bit would help. becareful to not get the hair wet (tricky I know but something cheap to try)

That's a really good idea!! I'll definitely try it. It won't work for his face (LOL) but considering he has one leg semi-clipped and the others with long winter feathers... it's a good shot!

I would tranq him. I had a mare that had the same type of behavior (draft cross, so lots of hair and needed to be clipped 3 times every winter, plus mulitple, fetlock, face trimming throughout the year). I had never owned a horse that wasn't GREAT to clip before her. I taught her the same way I do all my youngsters-no go. I finally tranqed her (ask your vet what they feel is best, I did an IM shot of 3cc ace). After about the 3rd body clip, she was good for a basic trim without drugs. By the end of the 2nd year of body clippings she was good for everything but her belly and upper front legs without drugs.
    Do not toy with the dragon, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!