The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Feeding pony alfalfa pellets

I recently got a pony - a 5 y/o TB/Welsh. He's refined and needed weight when he came. He's at a decent weight now (minus muscle) and I'm wondering if alfalfa pellets are not agreeing with him.

He can be very spooky and is a sensitive pony. Some days jumps practically out of his skin and often. Someone mentioned ponies and alfalfa sensitivity as a possible culprit.

Anyway, what do you feed your pony that is not a fatty? He's currently getting 4-5 cups of alfalfa pellets per day with 3 cups envision per day. He used to get double that and at one point I was feeding 3x's per day, but he did get high as a kite then.

Maybe a ration balancer? I don't want to do grain. He's on 24/7 pasture and isn't too interested in hay right now.

More Pasture.

More hay, more turnout, more work. Some vitamins and minerals.

OK, 24/7 turnout, got it. How lpng has he been at his new home? Is the spooky behavior new?

Some sensitive young horses are . . . sensitive young horses. Give him a chance to settle. Not all behavior issues are caused by feed. IME, in fact, it's more like "almost none".
    Click here before you buy.

He's been here a month now and I agree with more time. I'm sure he will settle more too.

But I'm still looking at what I am feeding him just to be sure. Sometimes he will spook right ON you.

You say he is not interested in hay. Just a thought...What grasses are in the pasture and what type of hay is he eating? I know my guys might not be thrilled with fescue hay when there is ample fescue in the pasture, but offer some nice timothy and hay becomes a delicious meal!

I have some really nice hay. Orchard/timothy and some bales have a bit of alfalfa in them. He does not snub it or anything, just eats a bit then leaves it for pasture. If I want him to eat all I have to lock him in the stall.

I'm sure his spookiness will work itself out, but was curious if anyone heard of alfalfa (specifically pellets) causing issues for ponies that were not fat.

I have a pony who sounds very similar to yours--TB/Welsh who is basically just a tiny TB (my friend calls him a Thoroughbred someone shrunk in the wash ). He's definitely a high energy fellow and can get very spooky (especially as an evasion). He demands a lot of work to focus all of that energy. I'm talking 6-7 days/week at an hour plus each ride.

Good luck with your new guy! I am a huge fan of that cross
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

Quote Originally Posted by mg View Post
    I have a pony who sounds very similar to yours--TB/Welsh who is basically just a tiny TB (my friend calls him a Thoroughbred someone shrunk in the wash ). He's definitely a high energy fellow and can get very spooky (especially as an evasion). He demands a lot of work to focus all of that energy. I'm talking 6-7 days/week at an hour plus each ride.
    Haha. Yes that is how I describe him - a tiny TB. And everything else you are saying about yours sound like mine too. I've not seen him real tired or winded!

If his weight is fine, cut back on the calories, it's likely the extra energy in that = the extra energy out, rather than a sensitivity to alfalfa

Give him a job & he'll likely be fine - have a soontobe4yrold Welsh & he can be "good as gold" or Mr oooh I'll spook at that ... oh look at that ... ohmygosh what a surprise that is

- when he was 3 & doing not much, he had much less of an opinion about everything.

When he's had more than a single day off, you really want to lunge before you ride.
    Other days you'd swear he's about to fall asleep & would, if you'd just stop bothering him - soooo cut his ride short & put him out in the big field & off he runs & bucks ...

He did a clinc last weekend, had to keep working (in the field) for almost 2 hours before the clinician was satisfied - faker wasn't even sweaty