The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

xJustJumpIt Guest

Question After a hard ride/workout?

First off, hello everyone. I am new here.

Now for my question. Right now I am not able to get out to work my mare consistently. I usually get out a couple days a week, but it's not consistent in what days.

We put in some very good rides, and our lessons are pretty good workouts for the both of us. I can see her building muscle and a topline already just from those few of days. (Hopefully soon I will be able to commit more days and get out more consistently).

But for now, it is what it is. I am just curious as to what I can give/feed her after a tough workout to help replace what she lost, and to help her build muscle better? My DH is a health/workout nut, and he is always taking supplements before/after workouts, and drinking protein shakes.

So what I'm wondering is if there is some sort of similar supplement for horses that would help? I've noticed just from these workouts that she has lost a little bit of weight. Nothing major, but she has dropped a little since when I first brought her here & before we really put her into work.

I have been giving her about 2 lbs of a TC feed after a workout, but I don't think this is very good for her, is it? I was always taught that when feeding grains it needs to be consistent to keep a horse from colicing. But I want to give her something post-workout to help her 'bounce back', per say.

Recommendations? Thanks!

(BTW, for what it's worth, I have aspirations of Eventing with her. She is healthy, and UTD on everything. Just had the vet out to do a routine check/shots a few weeks ago.)

If she's on a good feeding schedule of appropriate grain and hay 2-3X/day, she shouldn't need anything extra after her workout. Maybe if it's been really hot out, after your ride you could give her some electrolytes. You could also add a daily supplement to her feeding, something like SmartMuscle Mass. Otherwise, I wouldn't be too worried about it. She's obviously not in heavy work and she shouldn't have any problems "bouncing back".
    http://poorwomanshowing.blogspot.com/
    R.I.P. Eagles Hill. 4/6/00-12/10/11.

Honestly she does not need anything extra. If she is pouring tons and tons of sweat then some people would recommend electrolytes but others feel that there is plenty of salt in concentrated feed so it is unnecessary. What type and amount of grain is she getting? How much hay? I definitely would not sporadically give 2 lbs of grain, that is just begging for an episode of colic.

Agreed - she's not working nearly hard enough to warrant a "recovery meal".

if her basic diet is correct, then the muscle will come with her work.

I have been giving her about 2 lbs of a TC feed after a workout, but I don't think this is very good for her, is it? I was always taught that when feeding grains it needs to be consistent to keep a horse from colicing. But I want to give her something post-workout to help her 'bounce back', per say.
    Which feed? What is the rest of her diet? Does she get fed regular things every day, ie hay/grass and something else, and you're just giving her this on days you ride?

I wouldn't bother with the SmartMuscle. There's no science behind creatinine for horses (or people, really, for that matter, and the amino acid profile in there is negligible, particular in the context of the bigger diet.

Either you are working her far too hard for her conditioning level, or she is just fine.

In my experience, horses don't need anything extra unless they are upper level eventers after XC or endurance horses post race. Your average jumper/hunter/dressage horse (even GP level) is totally fine post work-out.

This makes me think you are possibly doing too much for the horse's current level of fitness. You shouldn't notice anything after a workout that makes you want to give the horse something to make them 'bounce back.'

However, it does sound like this is a good time to re-evaluate the horse's nutrition overall - good quality hay, and an appropriate grain fed 2-4x per day. Your horse's meal shouldn't be different on the days you ride v. the days you don't. If you aren't feeding the recommended daily amount of the grain (read the label), consider supplementing with a ration balancer, adding a vitamin/mineral supp., or choosing a more nutrient dense grain. If your horse sweats a lot, you can add a scoop of electrolytes to the grain.

It seems like you're mostly concerned about her dropping weight, which is entirely reasonable if you are gradually upping her workload without upping her caloric intake accordingly, which means you really just need to evaluate her overall feed program, like what basically everyone else said.

I'm not sure if this is true for horses, but I imagine it is, because I know it's true for humans: our bodies are way more efficient after we've exercised than at any other time. So if your goal is to GAIN weight, adding food right after exercise isn't the best plan.

Some horses, those in truly heavy working situations or those that sweat a LOT, can loose wt with a good workout but it is largely water wt that they will gain back when they rehydrate. We see this in ranch horses that are out working in 80-100 degree weather for the day and get to water only every 3-4 hours or so. They may appear slightly ribby and the gut is a bit tucked up, flanks slightly sunken. Give them time to refill on water and absorb it and they are back to full and round looking. The water in this area tends to have a lot of minerals in it so most don't worry about electrolytes unless a horse is doing this kind of work daily for the entire week or longer (during round up for instance when they may well be working 12-14 hours a day and up and down mountain ranges). I'm sure those that do endurance riding have similar situations with thier horses, esp those doing 100 mile rides.
    Colored Cowhorse Ranch
    www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
    Northern NV

Quote Originally Posted by xJustJumpIt View Post

(BTW, for what it's worth, I have aspirations of Eventing with her. She is healthy, and UTD on everything. Just had the vet out to do a routine check/shots a few weeks ago.)

My old eventer with whom I rode at the two-star level and was even lucky enough to run the old long-format CCIs never had any supplements. Lot's of water, a good quality feed, plenty of hay and a probiotic were all he got even in our most extreme training (2-a days at 1-2 hours per ride in preparation for the long formats). He was getting 45,000 calories a day (10 lbs of complete feed and 20 lbs of hay) at his peak. The only time I supplemented was an electrolyte after competition to help get him to drink faster after XC.

The more you work the horse the better they will bounce back. A "couple of days a week" working is a vacation for most performance horses.

2 lbs after a workout may be a lot, but in terms of it being a bit random, I wouldn't worry about it if she has access to forage full time.
    My horses live out, so they have access to grass or hay 24/7. When I ride them, I feed them -- but in the summer they get hardly anything, and in the winter they get maybe a pound. I wait until they are cool, but the timing is totally random, and it is not every day.

They are both eventers, easy keepers.
    The big man -- my lost prince

The little brother, now my main man