The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Chronic diarrhea

My horse has been struggling with chronic diarrhea. For the last month he has been perfect, no problems, so I thought I had found the right solution. Now it is back again.
    He is on no grain at all, a mix of timothy/grass hay, timothy pellets, rice bran, EO3 oil, probios and now biosponge.
    Any thoughts or suggestions?

Sand?

I don't know if you still have the problem, but Mitohorse works amazingly well, with some nice side effects (better hooves, fewer allergies etc.

Has he been tested for clostridium? Metronidazole would be warranted if that is the culprit. I'd get a fecal culture done, just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by sid View Post
    Has he been tested for clostridium? Metronidazole would be warranted if that is the culprit. I'd get a fecal culture done, just in case.
    Second the Metronidazole.

3rd the metronidazole if it's not sand colic.

My former BO had anerobic bacteria in her shallow well. Her family and one of her ponies got diarrhea. Metronidazole solved the problem with the pony. Each summer for 3 yrs. I have a bottle of it on hand.

That sounds like my mare. I had a few good months w/o diarrhea and of course it came back. I tried almost everything (biosponge, probiotics, prednisolone, metronidazole, did fecals, and a bunch of other things) and even if something would work, it was only temporary.

I've worked with 2 vets/practices and they both agree that she's happy, healthy, in great weight, and just not to worry about it. Sometimes you can't figure it out.

Question Just asking?

Have you tried switching hay?

Our older retired OTTB gets loose and very loose bm when he does not have fresh grass, like in this drought. We supplement Chafhay when there is no grass for him. Everyone else gets good quality hay only but the old OTTB gets Chafhay 3x per day in addition. Our vet prescribed it but you can get Chafhay anywhere, and it has worked wonders.

In addition to pellet and hay 2x per day.

Chafhay has a short shelf life, so keep it in a fridge if you have a barn fridge.

Look at the old time thread going on. Other posters used jello or flour. Let us know if it works!

at the bottom of her article she talks about oat flour for hindgut heath. you can get 50 lbs for $50. might be worth looking into

http://www.lunatunesfreestyles.com/horse_ulcers.htm

Wink

Way back then, I believe, they toasted the flour.

They used tobacco to deworm.

Land of palms, rattlesnakes, sand and fields of beautiful Tbs

Buckeye minerals to balance the tired hay and dry grass this year. It worked for 2 of our old guys. Put it in a separate bucket so your horse has a choice. At first he will gobble it up but as he no longer needs it he will slow down and just eat what he needs. No more runs; no more nasty stalls, horses putting on weight and feeling better. I wouldn't have believed it but so many racetrack folk recommended it. Probably saved the oldest one's life. Check it out. Good luck.
    Piney Woods

Fecal if you haven't, bad ulcers can cause loose manure, teeth in need of floating/problems, stress, metabolic issues, too much oil, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by vicarious View Post
    Have you tried switching hay?
    This. Horse I have now is unable to have coarse hay without loose manure. No teeth problems etc. Soft, second cut works wonders. Within 2 days it changes her manure to normal. One vet said that it absorbs water in the gut better than a coarser, stockier stem hay. I've also been told that its not really that much of a worry, its the hard, extra firm manure that is more problematic.

I also check hydration and electrolytes on horses with chronic loose stool.

I would consult a vet.
    Last edited by OTTB FTW; Jul. 29, 2011 at 08:06 AM. Reason: add