The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Giving xylazine to pregnant mares.

Is it safe to administer "xylazine " to a mare in her 3rd trimester.

Friend just lost a foal ,1 day after the mares teeth were floated,

xylazine was used to sedate the mare.
    \"I have lived my life-it is nearly done-.I have played the game all round;But I freely admit that the best of my fun I owe it to Horse and Hound\".

Quote Originally Posted by fernie fox View Post
    Is it safe to administer "xylazine " to a mare in her 3rd trimester.

Friend just lost a foal ,1 day after the mares teeth were floated,

xylazine was used to sedate the mare.
    The floating of the teeth was probably more likely the issue...
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity

Quote Originally Posted by Equine Reproduction View Post
    totally agree. No elective interventions for mares in foal, I say. Teeth can wait until foal is out, or should have been done before breeding.

Quote Originally Posted by Equine Reproduction View Post
    Could someone explain the reason for this?

It is not the first I have heard it and I won't do anything non-urgent on a pregnant mare, but I wonder what is the rationale behind this?
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

You don't want anything stressful while your mare is in foal.
    Suzanne
    bloomingtonfarm.com
    Breeder of Royal Dutch Sport Horse

I am so sorry for your friends loss. When we resuced our mare a couple of years ago, she was almost 300 under weight. The first thing I did was set an appointment with the dentist to have her teeth floated. We the discovered what we thought was a wormy belly turned out to be a foal. When the dentist came out to do her teeth I had mentioned that we had found out she was pregnant a couple of days ago. He refused to do her and mentioned that the stress was not good but also something about a bacteria in the tooth dust that would not be good when she swallowed it. So of course we didn't do her. Not sure how much truth that holds but we didn't want to take an chances. Once she foaled we had her teeth done.
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

Quote Originally Posted by bloomingtonfarm View Post
    You don't want anything stressful while your mare is in foal.
    Well, yes ok, in theory. But "stressful" requires a definition. I have a mare who considers a new bucket in her stall as something "stressful"... Or, switching paddocks. Or... I don't know, something else horrible and horse-eating... clippers.

What's the real danger to teeth floating while being in foal? I heard the theory about freeing all sorts of bacteria at the same time, but given what they like to chew on outside... or how they just *have* to pee and poop in their hay... I am not sure how much worse can it be.

As I said, I don't understand fully the rationale for the guideline, but I do respect it.
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

With people who need antibiotics before routine dental work, it's about what gets directly into the bloodstream due to the inevitable nicks during picking and flossing.

I'd assume it's the same with horses.

I had never heard about the "not doing teeth when they are in foal" before, but was told by my bf/biz partner when we met. She said she'd heard it wasn't a good idea due to the release of bacteria that results. Didn't think a ton of it as we had no proof, until we floated one of our mares while she was preg with her 4th foal, at about 4 months. At day 250 she developed an udder and we ultrasounded and started placentitis protocol. Foal was born at day 317 without any warning (she had normal gestations the previous 3), luckily healthy by the grace of God, as placenta looked horrible. She has since had 2 more foals without incident, so it's awfully suspicious.

So I've always wondered is this a proven fact or just precaution? We will no longer do any of ours while they are in foal. We have them done right after foaling and before breeding back. The sedation part is not the problem as far as I know.
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com

Quote Originally Posted by EquusMagnificus View Post
    Could someone explain the reason for this?

It is not the first I have heard it and I won't do anything non-urgent on a pregnant mare, but I wonder what is the rationale behind this?
    "With people who need antibiotics before routine dental work, it's about what gets directly into the bloodstream due to the inevitable nicks during picking and flossing.

I'd assume it's the same with horses."

^^This. The mouth is extremely dirty and high in bacteria. While it may not be the highest risk out there, I'm pretty much of the mind that it typically isn't a high priority. And one must remember that there are so many things that can cause a mare to abort that may not have any impact on another mare in the same situation. Would I NOT have a mare's teeth floated while she was pregnant? I would have to weigh the situation. If the mare was in decent health, but had some major dental issues and was having difficulty keeping or gaining weight, I'd probably have the teeth done. But, if she was in good health, good weight and I was doing it as maintenance, I'd probably skip it and have it done once she foaled. It's a matter of weighing the benefits against the risks.

Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Signature View Post
    Foal was born at day 317 without any warning (she had normal gestations the previous 3), luckily healthy by the grace of God, as placenta looked horrible. She has since had 2 more foals without incident, so it's awfully suspicious.
    The dental work probably wasn't the cause. Bacteria would have to be introduced through another method. The uterus is actually very, very good at "walling off" an infection.

So I've always wondered is this a proven fact or just precaution? We will no longer do any of ours while they are in foal. We have them done right after foaling and before breeding back. The sedation part is not the problem as far as I know.
    More precaution than anything. We try not to do anything that might put the mare or the pregnancy at risk. If mares need teeth work done or other procedures that are not emergencies, we'll wait until the pregnancy is done adn take care of it during her "non pregnant" time.

Good to know, thanks Kathy!! Just seemed suspect as that was the only time we did that and her only placentitis case out of 6 pregnancies. I think we'll take the precaution and continue to do them after they foal
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com