The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default free older mare to gentle home - NE Tenn. - Placed!

Thank you for looking, everyone!

"Amy" is a beautiful, liver chestnut TWH mare in her early 20's that needs to find a new home because of a sudden medical crisis. Her owner went in for an emergency surgery today. She has been with her owner since she was 2, (think about that, 20 years! ) and was always kept at the same barn. I used to board there with them, and I know Amy quite well. She arrived at my new barn today, visibly shaken, but putting her best foot forward. Amy has been a loved horse all her life, and she deserves to find another person who will continue to love her and care for her like the special girl she's always been.

Amy is about 15 or 15.1, looks to me more like a Saddlebred than a Walking Horse, but the sturdy, substantial kind of Saddler. She was never show trained but she has a natural walk and can move with some speed. She carries a beautiful high natural tail and has a lovely, graceful neck. She is in good weight and looks healthy. She has always been doted on and well maintained. Her owner was not an athletic rider, and Amy always took good care of her; I never knew her to have any vice under saddle. However, I have never seen her ridden by anyone else so I can't vouch for her as a children's horse. She is spunky and can be a little "bossy" on the ground sometimes, but only a little. She is rideable but a little stiff, and that's longstanding - don't know of any real unsoundness, but I know that her owner had been careful with her for several years. She flexed all 4 easily for my trainer today and was a willing girl under saddle. However, due to her age and history, she should not go to a home where vigorous extended riding is expected. Amy has been worked with on the ground a lot; she would be best suited to a home as a companion for someone who enjoys natural horsemanship training and wants to do some light riding. Husband/BF horse is a definite possibility here or showing in hand. She is a pretty, pretty girl with a ton of personality who is used to having her own person who adores her - hearts are breaking all around on this one. Can you mend Amy's giant, worthy, trusting heart?

I hope to have pictures available soon; meanwhile please email or PM me with any questions; as I say I know her quite well and I can tell you about turnout needs, etc.
    Last edited by mortebella; Jun. 25, 2011 at 08:23 PM. Reason: last thoughts