The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Any can't miss tack shops in the SF Bay area?

It looks like DH and I might have an "extra" day while visiting relatives in the area. My main interest is english, but I love tack shops of all types Any recs? We are staying in the Danville/Alamo area.

don't know about Danville, but if you go to the Sonoma Horse Park (about an hour drive north west a bit) I believe they have a nice one there. Plus, you can check out the grounds (and there may even been a show going on, depending on when you're heading out here), and then do some wine tasting in the area

http://www.equestrianconcierge.com/

Well I live in the Bay Area and would be interested to see what people say! It seems like just about all of the tack shops are gone. We have very few to choose down down here on the "peninsula".

1 members found this post helpful.

KateKat, oooh, good idea, sounds like that would be fun for the rest of the group as well and they were talking about visiting wine country. Thank you!

I went for a run this am and what do you know, there are some horsey places in the neighborhood, tucked right in with the houses and all. The hills here look like they would be gorgeous to go trail riding in.

Sure! The other plus of that area is a bunch of mineral hot springs. There are a few in Sonoma, but Calistoga is the big one (very close). I haven't been in a long time, but I remember them being very fun! Most of the resorts have day fees so you don't actually have to be staying there to use the pools.

Horses, wine, mineral hot springs. What else do you need?

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    Well I live in the Bay Area and would be interested to see what people say! It seems like just about all of the tack shops are gone. We have very few to choose down down here on the "peninsula".
    I would imagine there were some near Woodside, especially with the horse park? I haven't lived in the BA for awhile (grew up in San Mateo) and not since I've been into horses, but I would think the stretch of Woodside/Palo Alto/Portola Valley would have to have something! That area is like horsey haven, or at least it used to be.

i've only been in the area for a couple of years, so i'm sure i haven't explored all the tack shops out there...but, depending on what you're looking for and how far you're willing to drive...

i always find western saddlery to be a good time! they have a pretty wide selection of both english and western items, plus all sorts of barn supplies and feeds. they also give a 10% discount, which is great since it covers the sales tax!

further from where you are, in half moon bay, there's half moon bay feed and fuel, which i recently visited. they have all sorts of tack, pet foods for all your family pets, baby chicks and ducklings, barn supplies, feeds, and more novelty souvenirs.

orinda village horse shop is also fun, but more because the owner is super friendly and helpful. the store is smaller so the selection is also smaller. sarah, the owner, is happy to order things you need or to even try to get you items she doesn't usually carry. it's great for picking up a forgotten item, if she has it in stock...and it's much closer to my barn, making it an easy pit stop!

there's also vista madera tack shop in oakland, but i haven't visited there yet!

Sadly Offit's and Santa Rosa Saddlery are gone. I worked at both many many years ago. They were huge and awesome. Seems many tack stores are closing down. It's easier and cheaper in most cases to run an on-line only tack shop. "Local Tack Shops" are sadly becoming a thing of the past.

If you're staying in Danville, your best options are:
    * Western Saddlery (Pleasanton) - it's like Costco For Horses!
    * Arnie's (Castro Valley) - smaller, but that place just goes on and on

Anything else would really be a drive - nothing special, that's worth driving for.

However, if you end up on the Peninsula (about 45min from Danville & across the Bay), there are a couple:
    * Carousel Saddlery (Portola Valley) - lovely shop, high end, great area - worth stopping by the Woodside Horse Park on your way (if there is an event - check online www.horsepark.org)
    * Blue Horse Saddlery (Los Altos) - smaller shop, only go if you are really closeby

Not a lot else on the Peninsula that's worth a drive for. There are a couple smaller places - but mostly they just sell feed and grooming supplies.

North Bay has some as folks mentioned - but again you'll be driving upwards of 45-60min to get there. Unless you are heading that way anyway, it's not worth it.

You'll find them all on the web in some way to get addresses, etc.

Agree with Western Saddlery!!

There is also Christiensons in downtown Pleasanton but it's not anything you HAVE to go to.

There is also Happy Trails in Livermore/Pleasanton that is a used tack store.
    ::Karley::

Henry (House of Fortuny) 7 yr old OTTB
    http://dondeestahenry.blogspot.com/

Agree that if you happen to be driving through the tunnel, while Orinda Village isn't large or anything, the owner is super-helpful and I always enjoy going there when I need something I want to try on. I wouldn't go out of my way to go, though.

Quote Originally Posted by KateKat View Post
    I would imagine there were some near Woodside, especially with the horse park? I haven't lived in the BA for awhile (grew up in San Mateo) and not since I've been into horses, but I would think the stretch of Woodside/Palo Alto/Portola Valley would have to have something! That area is like horsey haven, or at least it used to be.
    Not really. There is Carousel Saddlery in Portola Valley which is small and everything is expensive and there is Olsen Nolte in San Carlos which tends to stock just the basics but caters more to the western crowd.

The area is still very much horse country, it's just not tack shop country. Sadly.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    Not really. There is Carousel Saddlery in Portola Valley which is small and everything is expensive and there is Olsen Nolte in San Carlos which tends to stock just the basics but caters more to the western crowd.

The area is still very much horse country, it's just not tack shop country. Sadly.
    Yep.. what Jen said. I grew up riding in Woodside (Woodside Pony Club alum whoop whoop!), still very horsey there, but not much in the way of tack stores.

Carousel is nice, but very small, and has become more and more high end and H/J oriented over the years. (went there recently to helmet shop, didn’t have my size in most styles, every thing had to be “ordered”).

Olsen Nolte, been there many times, never actually bought anything, mostly western, and very overpriced.

Tie Down became Blue Horse.. haven't been there in years, its a small shop, but might be worth while.

Half Moon Bay Feed and Fuel – CRAZY prices, and very grumpy owner (not liked by many horse owners on the coast). Mostly a feed store, some over priced made in India tack, few brushes etc. I wouldn’t shop there for tack, now and then I buy supplies there when I have no other place to go.

Christenson’s, which became Shaws... This WAS the place when I was a kid, then it became Shaws (and sold my consignment saddle without telling me, and *lost* all of the paper work!) - Never did business with them again, and now they are out of business.

Western Saddlery in San Mateo was cool, had lots of race track gear (and great prices on things like coolers and barn essentials). They have since closed down as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RougeEmpire View Post
    Sadly Offit's and Santa Rosa Saddlery are gone. I worked at both many many years ago. They were huge and awesome. Seems many tack stores are closing down. It's easier and cheaper in most cases to run an on-line only tack shop. "Local Tack Shops" are sadly becoming a thing of the past.
    LOVED Offit's. Its was a good few hours drive from my house when I was a kid. I would beg my dad to take me for a field trip out there any time I had some money saved up.

We would go out to Offits, I would pick something wonderful to spend my babysitting money on. And then we would go to the cool classic car show room by the freeway, after all, had to make the trip worth it for dad as well.

So sad it is gone.

Western Saddlery in San Mateo was cool, had lots of race track gear (and great prices on things like coolers and barn essentials). They have since closed down as well.
    Just to be clear, the Western Saddlery in Pleasanton, which is close to the Danville area, is open! They also have great prices. Did the one in San Mateo move or are they independent?

Olsen Nolte has gone western?? And is overpriced??? Dang, a lot changes in 40 years ...
    "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Is that the one that was on El Camino (with the big horse statue out front) or on Hillsdale close to the freeway? Because I remember always driving by the one on Hillsdale and wanting to go in!

Quote Originally Posted by KateKat View Post
    Is that the one that was on El Camino (with the big horse statue out front) or on Hillsdale close to the freeway? Because I remember always driving by the one on Hillsdale and wanting to go in!
    Hum it was near hillsdale, but no big horse in front (that is Olsen Nolte). Used to have wool coolers in all sorts of colors for less the $50. Wraps, linaments and all of those other "back side" things at great prices. Oh, and they also had western wear, a bit of tack, and did great tack repairs. Miss them!

Great to hear all these old places of my childhood mentioned!

Western Saddlery in Pleasanton is worth a visit. It's a family business that originally catered to the race tracks. Pete may still have his little place open on Hillsdale Blvd across from what was the back gate of Bay Meadows.

Both stores were well stocked with supplies and some tack. They used to have a "house brand" of leather girth with double-sided elastic that was great quality and nice leather for the price.

Is Shaw's still in Penn Grove? If so, that may be what you have in mind, OP. It doesn't hold a candle to Offutt's-- of any of its incarnations-- but it is pretty big.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

As others have said, Western Saddlery in Pleasanton is great.

Vista Madera in Oakland is a small (in terms of physical space) store that is chock-full of treasures and has an enormous book selection as well. The owner, Kathy (iirc) knows her stock inside and out and is very, very helpful. She'll also stay out of your way if you just want to browse.