The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How much grass can a horse eat in an hour?

How many square feet of pasture constitutes about an hour's worth of grass?
    ==================
    Somehow my inner ten year old seems to have stolen my chequebook!

http://reriderandpony.blogspot.com/

There are too many variables to say. The amount of grass per square foot varies greatly, as does the intake rate of individual horses. If you trying decide how much to fence off for an allotment, you just have to experiment.

Yes the rate intake sure does vary; were it one of mine that wears a muzzle:

Enough to be on his way to foundering himself. He is a compulsive eater; the other three are napping and he is still trying to eat 22 acres down to dirt by sundown.

Quote Originally Posted by walkinthewalk View Post

Enough to be on his way to foundering himself. He is a compulsive eater; the other three are napping and he is still trying to eat 22 acres down to dirt by sundown.
    That cracked me up. Probably because I have one that's the same way

Type and height and thickness of grass, hunger level of horse (belly full of hay vs empty), distractions to eating, incentives to eating (competition for prime patches) plus the type of horse....some are just going to try to stuff themselves no matter what and others pick a bit here and a bit there and wander around. Too many variables.

General rule of thumb on grazing in camping situations....two hours will be enough for a meal IF good quality grass and horse is hungry but not ravenous.
    Colored Cowhorse Ranch
    www.coloredcowhorseranch.com
    Northern NV

Thanks! My horse is coming 'home' to our vacation place in a couple weeks. The pasture has pretty much been flooded at the place where he is. They know he needs to go on grass, so they have the kids hand grazing him and think he'll be up to 40 minutes of grass when he comes home.

I think I can alot a small paddock around the shelter with roughly an hours' worth of grass. July grass isn't rich like spring grass, but I just don't want to take any chances.

I can mow or not mow it ahead of time and I think I'll mow, just to have a little less in there.

Thanks!
    ==================

On average, the average horse generally (see all the generalizations? LOL) eats about 4lb of grass an hour.

If it's 10 acres with half the grass of 5 acres (so still the same total amount of grass altogether), then in that hour the horse will consume less grass because he has to walk more to get it, and gets less in each mouthful.

I asked my piggy mares. Their answer: "How much you got?"
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by coloredhorse View Post

Aka "Try me."

Quote Originally Posted by coloredhorse View Post
    Oh, THIS!
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    On average, the average horse generally (see all the generalizations? LOL) eats about 4lb of grass an hour.
    Only 4 pounds of fresh grass an hour? We feed my pony cut and carry fresh forage, and he can hoover down close to 20pounds in a couple hours. When he grazes decent grass lots, he doesn't seem to walk any faster than he can chew.
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

It's a different story if you're feeding already cut grass - there's no time spend gathering a bite and pulling it off. There's also a LOT more that can be put into the mouth in one bite if the horse chooses

So, they eat slower if the grass is NOT cut? It's pretty green out there, but the grass has definitely gone to seed.

Keep the info coming! Thanks.
    ==================

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    It's a different story if you're feeding already cut grass - there's no time spend gathering a bite and pulling it off. There's also a LOT more that can be put into the mouth in one bite if the horse chooses
    Makes perfect sense to me!

Quote Originally Posted by walkinthewalk View Post
    the other three are napping and he is still trying to eat 22 acres down to dirt by sundown.
    That made me laugh, too. Your horse's brother from another mother resides at my house.
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

Quote Originally Posted by Chaila View Post
    So, they eat slower if the grass is NOT cut? It's pretty green out there, but the grass has definitely gone to seed.

Keep the info coming! Thanks.
    if you're "not cut" means tall grass, that wasn't what we were talking about

By "cut grass", we were talking about cut from the field and delivered to the horse

But to your "it's not cut, it's tall" comment, yes, they will eat less then, usually, as the taller grass usually isn't as palatable, and it's harder to get a mouthful of grass that's "moving"

Quote Originally Posted by seabreeze View Post
    That made me laugh, too. Your horse's brother from another mother resides at my house.
    Joining the party!

My WB gelding is out in the blazing hot sun mowing away, while everyone else is under the trees for some shade!