The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Wink dressage/trail/barrel racing competition ahhh!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...5K-Xjupk#at=66

this competition looks like so much fun and that horse looks awesome! I want it! i would seriously like to see an FEI dressage horse try and use it's training to do a compeition like this lol!

FYI
    I communicated with an individual who does this working equitation and was informed that the horses are schooled in dressage............

I believe this is an offshoot of Doma Vaquero, an amazing Spanish/ Western type of dressage. Fantastic video, thanks!
    "Go on, Bill — this is no place for a pony."

I. Need. To. Try. This.

*looks evilly at appy* Hey buddy, wanna go show? *evil grin*
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonharte8 View Post
    FYI
    I communicated with an individual who does this working equitation and was informed that the horses are schooled in dressage............

Oh there is no doubt in my mind the horses dont spend the magority of their training time in dressage. But I really believe they spend a great deal being bomb proofed and putting their dressage training into practise by working outside of the arena and through obstacle courses. I only meant that I would like to see a normal FEI dressage horse attempt to do lead changes around flower pots, canter half pass through poles, extended canter between obstacles then basically piroutte around a series of barrels . I just think those horses are particullarly special that they dont flinch at all.

The horse I ride would flip out if we did that! He is such a prissy thing. Oh, warmbloods.
    And this is the story of your red right ankle.

XCPony;
    Yes, they do spend a great deal of time in dressage, however, it is not this closed controlled movements we see in competitive dressage.
    I received my basic schooling in dressage on a working cattle ranch in Montana back in the 60's.....so I learned how to use it working cattle.

Default That is Fantastic!!!!!

Wow.

North of the Frozen Tundra, but I can see it from my house.

It does look like so much fun. The horse looks light as a feather.

I would love it if they added this into dressage competitions. I do this kind of thing every day with my horses and always have, except I go around live cows, including the babies and the FEI horses. Shouldn't a "trained" dressage horse do this? I couldn't stand the boredom of just doing "dressage" in the arena.

Default Ok.....I need help finding this pattern on paper

I've looked online but all I see are videos. Does anyone know where this pattern is printed?
    I've got a mare that I'm riding for someone that needs this type of thing .......
    desperately. My young stallion could use this too, come to think of it...... they ALL could use it.

Hmmm... not impressed. Looks like fun though!!!
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

Oh I SO want to do that! I just want to ride and learn and do! I'd love to get into that with my horsie (some day my prince will come). What's it called? I want to add it to my list of things to do: dressage, competitive trail, hunter pace, hill topping, endurance, and ....?

Paula

ETA: Indeed, as one poster said; Doma vaquera (vaquero). I found this description http://www.marquiscattledogs.com/Doma%20Vaquero.htm

OMG this has to be done!

ETA x2: I can't stop watching this. It's not like barrel racing. The balance is exquisite for both horse and rider. And so light! This reminds me of that thread about why use reins anyway? Did you notice the contact on that horse's mouth -not a whole lot. Pure-assed balanced seat. Holy wow!
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Quote Originally Posted by Carol O View Post
    It does look like so much fun. The horse looks light as a feather.
    and strong as an ox!

Lovely post - Thanks!

The Balance AND Confidence with a speed and trail element in a controlled arena environment of this type of competition would do wonders for many rider/horse combos in the U.S.

And yes, I agree with the one hand, light on the rein comments too. The horse is athletic, trained, and willing, why be so hard in his mouth? No spurs or crop either.

Very nice! A good video - thank you!

That was great! Thx.

thanks for posting. Looked like the horse and rider were having a great time!!!

We have these classes -- they are usually called "extreme" trail or something like that.

As for the horse's training -- guys -- there is not one decent ranch gelding in this country that doesn't have a handle equal to the horse shown. He's not doing anything fancy....

You can get these horses all day long out west at the "ranch gelding" sales in ID, OR,MT,UT, NV, TX,AZ.

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    The balance is exquisite for both horse and rider. And so light! This reminds me of that thread about why use reins anyway? Did you notice the contact on that horse's mouth -not a whole lot. Pure-assed balanced seat. Holy wow!

That's how ALL good cowhorses are trained! If you had to yank and pull on them all the time, or ride the curb like you see so many upper level dressage rider do, you would not get anything done.

This sort of riding is not a mystery -- if you want to learn (or teach your horse to do it) just sign up with any of the so-called "natural horsemanship" cowboys -- Buck Brannaman, Chris Cox, Peter Campbell, Leslie Desmond, etc.

The stress is put on lightness and instant response....