The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How Do YOU Hang Your Hose?

I board at the most AWESOME stable-three generations of a dairy family that converted to a horse barn a decade ago nosed out by "big factory" farming.
    I try showing my appreciation by sweeping the aisle, picking rocks/manuer out of pastures, etc.
    I've noticed long (20-30 ft) tangles of water hoses pushed to the sides of the aisles when I sweep and was thinking a nice "hose hanger" system might be a good Christmas gift for them.

Decorative plastic hangers don't seem sturdy enough and metal hangers might be dangerous to horses poking themselves if they spook.

Any suggestions? What works for you?

If your budget is small, I like the cast iron round ones from Home Depot. They're strong, yet look nice.

If you wanna get some others to contribute as barn-wide Thank You, consider a No-Crank Hose Reel
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Quote Originally Posted by TikiSoo View Post
    I board at the most AWESOME stable-three generations of a dairy family that converted to a horse barn a decade ago nosed out by "big factory" farming.
    I try showing my appreciation by sweeping the aisle, picking rocks/manuer out of pastures, etc.
    I've noticed long (20-30 ft) tangles of water hoses pushed to the sides of the aisles when I sweep and was thinking a nice "hose hanger" system might be a good Christmas gift for them.

Decorative plastic hangers don't seem sturdy enough and metal hangers might be dangerous to horses poking themselves if they spook.

Any suggestions? What works for you?
    For Strong, sturdy, looks, no sharp edges, and low cost ... An old alloy car wheel (minus the tire) A lag bolt through the lug hole into a solid post keeps it in place. The alloy doesn't rust and is decorative vs a plain steel wheel.

We use those hooks you hang in the garage to hang things from... like a bicycle, or a spreader...its got a rubber coating and is big enough to hold a 75 ft. hose. It's perfect, out of the way, and cheap!! Can get 'em at Wally World.
    Shadow Dancer 2/17/91-12/23/10 - "My Horse, My Heart <3"

We use these wall feeders:
    http://sales.buysmrt.com/Over+Fence+...ack+-+20+Quart

Hung open side out and flat side down. Hose winds around and you can put things inside.
    Join a new horse sim where you can train, show and breed dressage horses, jumpers and eventers! Fun and free with mature players.
    Join Horse Eden Eventing Today !

Hanger hooks can weaken the hose and cause crimps and breaks.

I like a car wheel. You can take it to a body shop, have it sandblasted, then immediately give it a spray coat of a good quality primer, then follow up with the paint of your choice. Use a good paint! This is no place to scrimp
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
    Hanger hooks can weaken the hose and cause crimps and breaks.
    I haven't noticed that. I suppose, though, YMMV.
    Shadow Dancer 2/17/91-12/23/10 - "My Horse, My Heart <3"

I have a reasonably flimsy metal one with no sharp edges. It is in a corner so the horses would be unlikely to hit it -- but if they did, it would bend easily with that amount of weight behind it, which is a good thing. It is rainbow-shaped on the top so as not to kink the hose. It is not all that decorative but it serves the purpose fine.

I wanted something a little flimsy, safer in case of an accident.

Rapid Reel side mounted hose reel. Durable, quality and made in America (at least when I bought it several years ago).

Quote Originally Posted by Nipntuck View Post
    Rapid Reel side mounted hose reel. Durable, quality and made in America (at least when I bought it several years ago).
    Well this is what I was wondering...I saw plastic reel hose hangers at (b)Lowes and they were ALL made in USA, fantastic!

I wondered if anyone liked hanging reels, floor reels or just the hanging type you wrap your hose on.

One barn I boarded in had a plastic reel and it held up great in the 4 years I was there. Guess I'm leaning towards that (made in USA!) just wasn't sure about whether floor vs wall mount.

The Rapid Reel is steel, but well painted ~ I have NO rust after at least 5 years in the barn, near a door which sometimes gets rain blown in. They make both wall mount and stand mounted ones, but I prefer something mounted on the wall for the barn for stability. It does lift off the mount so it can be, for instance, placed in the heated bathroom during a hard freeze.

I got mine via the internet. In my experience, the plastic stuff you'll get at Lowes doesn't hold up. We went through several Suncast products before I bought this.

Hey - that wheel idea is pretty nifty.

For those who use one (or more) about what size hose can you wind on it ?
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

I was just noticing the hose hanger in the barn tonight, when I was hosing my horse. It is a plastic "Suncast Delux Hose Hangout" . It has no sharp edges, and it has a little door in the center to store things. It has been in the barn for at least 8 years, holding 74-100 feet of hose, in all weathers.

Yep, I like the hose "Hangouts." Never had one break, even the ones in the sun all the time.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

in the outdoor wash stall, I have one of those decorative cast iron ones.

In the barn aisle my husband built one out of wood. It is essentially a large, shallow "V" but upside down. It has a front board at the edge that keeps the hose on it.

The point about starting kinks is actually valid, but I will say that it has taken 6 years of wear on that hose to get to the dents. The hose still rarely kinks, but this make me think of a "solution". I'm going to take a bit of old/worn out/mown over hose and cut it open, then I'll screw it down at the top of the inverted V.

(and there I am reading 'how to hang your hoRse'.... I really need much more coffee...)
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    (and there I am reading 'how to hang your hoRse'.... I really need much more coffee...)
    Alagirl-- I read the same thing!!!!
    The only difference between a runaway and a fast gallop is nothing but a SMILE
    Most horses cross the Rainbow Bridge, but TEDDY JUMPED IT!!!
    Member of the COTH Enabler Clique

(Always happy to see I am not alone)

But one can also recycle the rim of a tire.
    depending on size and material, it's a wee bit heavy duty tho...
    My Uncle hung one many years ago, and now covered with several layers of house paint (exterior grade) it's still hanging.
    (but we are talking outdoors, out of direct reach of horses, on a massive stone wall)
    Quote Originally Posted by fargaloo View Post
    Do you not understand how asking "why now?" is EXACTLY part of the reason why assault victims feel silenced?

Get on old wheel off a car. Cut it in half. File off the rough edges. Attach to wall through the wheel nut holes, round side up. Coil hose over it. I wheel makes two hose hangers which you can hang long hoses on, as your hanging coils only need be off the ground. I have 2 nifty aluminium hose hangers that completed the 24 hrs of Daytona.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._